norwegian dawn and wheelchairs

gigsjh

I'm not sure of your exact question, but if you are asking if you can use the ship's wheelchair for the duration of your cruise, the answer is no. They basically keep those for getting on and off and to and from shore excursions for slow walkers and for emergencies. They are for short term use only. If he needs a wheelchair, the best bet is to rent one and have it delivered to the ship. Care Vacations/Cruise ship assist can do this. Here is their url http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/

I strongly suggest renting a wheelchair, because most likely he will need it for the shore excursions too. Or at least it will be less tiring than crutching all over the place. You have an advantage in accessibility -- if you run into a step or two along the way or an uncut curb, your husband can get up and walk/crutch/hop around it (something a lot of wheelchair-users can't do). Plus you don't not need an accessible cabin, as you can just fold up the wheelchair and your husband can crutch inside.

I'm sure you will be very comfortable on your cruise, but it's best to rent a manual wheelchair.

Candy

Personally, yes (with a cast) I do feel the wheelchair would be easier.

As I mentioned in the other thread, if you do not have an accessible cabin the doorway won't be wide enough for a full-sized scooter. And you can't leave it in the hallway. Getting changed to an accessible cabin might not be that easy -- they fill up fast and there are so few of them.

Candy

Archived