Fuel Surcharge Removed/Classy Letter

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:17 PM.
Grafton, MA
153 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
I got a letter from HAL informing me that pursuant to a deal with the Florida Attorney General's office, my fuel surcharge was automatically removed from my account.

Along with the notice, HAL informed me that I could book shore excurisions online now, my next cruise while onboard via an "onboard cruise consultant", and that I should fill out the online immigration form.

I am rather impressed with this letter. As the username indicates, I practice law for a living. I read and write legal mumbo jumbo for fun and profit. For a letter HAL was probably required to write me (pursuant to the terms of the deal with the Fla. AG) it was very well written.

The refund notice took about 1/3 of a page. HAL took the balance of the page to sell me additional services and products, all in a manner that flowed seamlessly.

I've never sailed with HAL. If their legal notices are this classy and well written, I wonder what I have in store for me in Copenhagen?

Rick
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
4/00 RCI M/S Viking Serenade - 4 Day Ensanada
7/08 HAL M/S Rotterdam - 12 day Baltics & Scandanavia
2/09 Disney Wonder - 3 Day Bahamas
City of Angels, CA
28,430 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by westboroatty
..........I've never sailed with HAL. If their legal notices are this classy and well written, I wonder what I have in store for me in Copenhagen?

Rick
I have a feeling you'll find lots of Danes there!

I received the same letter, actually two separate ones, slightly different
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email - [email protected]

Total days onboard:
Holland America Line: 1,548

Royal Caribbean International: 83
Princess Cruise Line: 31
Cunard Line: 15
Carnival Cruise Line: 10
341 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I agree with you that it was a nice letter. Unfortunately, it came almost a month after we'd returned from the cruise in question. We received the credit onboard and happily spent it.
1,985 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
And the refund works how? Who gets it? Fuel charge still seems to be in effect for a cruise we booked 1/30/08. Oh well.
Cortaro, Arizona
2,627 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Toad
And the refund works how? Who gets it? Fuel charge still seems to be in effect for a cruise we booked 1/30/08. Oh well.
Refunds are for bookings prior to 11/07/07.
Texas
935 Posts
Joined May 2002
We received two letters also, along with a list of cruises they want us to sign up for! Since we are already booked for two more in the next two years DH says that is enough for now. Shucks!
Texas
14,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
We also got two of those letters a little over a week ago. One for each booking ... even though only one booking qualified for the rebate!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim
Holmdel, NJ US
10,722 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
Originally posted by Toad
Ah, but if you booked in May, the fuel surcharge would be even more than you are paying. So there is still an upside.

With crude closing today at about $120 and predictions that $150 is right around the corner, surcharges for everything, will continue to escalate.

Locking in a surcharge may soon be the greatest incentive to book sooner rather than later. And those rebooking at reduced cabin prices will need to be mindful that when doing so, they may be incuring greater fuel surcharges.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Hammybee

Who always dresses for dinner and does not notice what you are wearing, unless there is a pineapple on your head.
ma
1,986 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
We received the same letter, as well as an e-mail a month or so ago -- but no refund yet...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up: NCL Dawn 7/17
MSC Seaside 4/18

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'll take the deck of a ship any time..." Jimmy Buffett

NCL Majesty 10/00, 10/01, 7/03, 7/04, 5/05, 6/06, 9/06, 7/07
NCL Dawn 11/04, 10/05, 3/07, 9/11, 11/13, 9/15
NCL Spirit 11/06, 7/09, 7/10, 7/11
HAL Noordam 10/07, 3/08
NCL Dream 7/08, 10/08
NCL Gem 1/09, 3/09, 1/10, 1/11
NCL Jewel 10/10, 3/12
NCL Pearl 9/12, 3/13
NCL Breakaway 3/14 Haven Heaven!! and again 9/14
NCL Breakaway 1/15, 6/16
NCL Breakaway Haven again 1/16
MSC Divina 10/16, 3/17
88 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We booked our Alaska cruise to include air fare in Sept 07, we are going this July. .When I went to pay my final payment in April, they took off the amount of the refund,, but today they tell me that because air fare went up, they want an additional $600! My tA is trying very hard to reach someone at HAL to dispute this, but not sure she will be successful, HAL has us over a barrel! Has anyone else had this experience? This is our 6th cruise with HAL & have never had a problem before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
San Diego
4,704 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We got those letters too. One for the cruise that ended April 17, 2008, and the one for 2009 which I booked Oct. 2007.

Hey~~~~I'll take it !

Pat
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DISNEY Wonder
NCL Star 2x
PCL Grand, Star, Ruby, Crown, Golden 2x, Sapphire 2x, Sea
CCL Inspiration, Paradise, Splendor, Spirit, Elation 2x
RCI Jewel, Radiance 2x
HAL Zaandam, Statendam 2x, Ryndam 2x

Holmdel, NJ US
10,722 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
Originally posted by boris107
We booked our Alaska cruise to include air fare in Sept 07, we are going this July. .When I went to pay my final payment in April, they took off the amount of the refund,, but today they tell me that because air fare went up, they want an additional $600! My tA is trying very hard to reach someone at HAL to dispute this, but not sure she will be successful, HAL has us over a barrel! Has anyone else had this experience? This is our 6th cruise with HAL & have never had a problem before.
This is from HAL's web site. Given you have made final payment, something seems fishy.

Air Rates/Taxes and Fees
Air rates will be quoted at the time of booking and are subject to change until the booking is paid in full. The quoted air rates do not include Passenger Facility Charges assessed by airports (US$3 - $27), federal flight segment fees for each flight segment (takeoff and landing) of US$3.30, the September 11 Security Fee of US$2.50 per passenger enplanement (up to a maximum of US$10), and international arrival and departure taxes (US$3 - $100). Air rates do not include local customs, departure or other taxes that may be collected directly from you by applicable government authorities
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Hammybee

Who always dresses for dinner and does not notice what you are wearing, unless there is a pineapple on your head.
Hilton Head, SC
1,988 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by hammybee
Ah, but if you booked in May, the fuel surcharge would be even more than you are paying. So there is still an upside.

With crude closing today at about $120 and predictions that $150 is right around the corner, surcharges for everything, will continue to escalate.

Locking in a surcharge may soon be the greatest incentive to book sooner rather than later. And those rebooking at reduced cabin prices will need to be mindful that when doing so, they may be incuring greater fuel surcharges.
I thought I was going to get a credit because we fell into the dates covered by the letter, etc. However, within the last two weeks (we sail in two weeks), we decided to upgrade to a suite. HAL considered this a "new booking" so not only do we lose our credit (eventhough we originally booked in October), but we have to pay the increased fuel charges. Fortunately, the price to go up to the suite was a great deal. Easy come, easy go.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2, Bahamas, 8/93
Norwegian Dream, Caribbean, 4/99
Carnival Destiny, Caribbean, 11/01
Norwegian Dawn, Caribbean, 11/02
HAL Veendam, Caribbean, 12/03
Celebrity Century, Caribbean,11/04
Golden Princess, Caribbean, 11/05
Carnival Imagination, Western Caribbean1/06 (the Girl Scout trip)
Crown Princess, Caribbean11/06
RCCL Mariner of the Seas, Caribbean 11/07
HAL Zuiderdam, Mediterranean, 5/08
RCCL Adventure of the Seas, Caribbean,11/08
Emerald Princess, Caribbean, 11/09
Celebrity Equinox, Mediterranean, 6/10
Celebrity Equinox, Caribbean, 12/10
HAL Noordam, Mediterranean, 10/11
Caribbean Princess, British Isles, 6/12
Celebrity Silhouette, Adriatic Adventure, 5/13
Oceania Regatta, South America, 2/15
Carnival Sunshine, Bahamas (girls' cruise!) 2/16
Celebrity Silhouette, Cozumel (girls' cruise 2!) 1/17
88 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Thanks Hammybee, as we had made the final payment, I will certainly let them know their own policy. Will let you know what happens, I hate that they are trying to get more money out of us when we have already paid a small fortune for our cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holmdel, NJ US
10,722 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
Originally posted by Softball20
I thought I was going to get a credit because we fell into the dates covered by the letter, etc. However, within the last two weeks (we sail in two weeks), we decided to upgrade to a suite. HAL considered this a "new booking" so not only do we lose our credit (eventhough we originally booked in October), but we have to pay the increased fuel charges. Fortunately, the price to go up to the suite was a great deal. Easy come, easy go.
I do not think travel agencies in general are doing the best job of explaining and/or protecting the consumer from the risks associated with potential paid for ( non guarantee cabin) upgrades. So often, they are new bookings that wipe out dining preferences, waitlists, shore excursions and most recently makes one potentially eligible for increased fuel surcharges. The devil is in the details.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Hammybee

Hilton Head, SC
1,988 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Yep, lots of details. Actually, our TA, with whom we've been working for years, explained all the details in writing and on the phone. Even by having the fuel surcharge tacked on, it was a great deal to take pay for the upgrade, and I'm going from a VF to an SZ?! Yes, it also almost impacted dining, but we took care of that. I did have to re-book my two excursions, as well. That is really the biggest issue as the prices of the excursions have gone up since I booked them. Personally, I think it's silly to have to do a whole new booking number, etc., to just go from one cabin to another for a customer who is already booked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2, Bahamas, 8/93
Norwegian Dream, Caribbean, 4/99
Carnival Destiny, Caribbean, 11/01
Norwegian Dawn, Caribbean, 11/02
HAL Veendam, Caribbean, 12/03
Celebrity Century, Caribbean,11/04
Golden Princess, Caribbean, 11/05
Carnival Imagination, Western Caribbean1/06 (the Girl Scout trip)
Crown Princess, Caribbean11/06
RCCL Mariner of the Seas, Caribbean 11/07
HAL Zuiderdam, Mediterranean, 5/08
RCCL Adventure of the Seas, Caribbean,11/08
Emerald Princess, Caribbean, 11/09
Celebrity Equinox, Mediterranean, 6/10
Celebrity Equinox, Caribbean, 12/10
HAL Noordam, Mediterranean, 10/11
Caribbean Princess, British Isles, 6/12
Celebrity Silhouette, Adriatic Adventure, 5/13
Oceania Regatta, South America, 2/15
Carnival Sunshine, Bahamas (girls' cruise!) 2/16
Celebrity Silhouette, Cozumel (girls' cruise 2!) 1/17
19,644 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Softball20
Yep, lots of details. Actually, our TA, with whom we've been working for years, explained all the details in writing and on the phone. Even by having the fuel surcharge tacked on, it was a great deal to take pay for the upgrade, and I'm going from a VF to an SZ?! Yes, it also almost impacted dining, but we took care of that. I did have to re-book my two excursions, as well. That is really the biggest issue as the prices of the excursions have gone up since I booked them. Personally, I think it's silly to have to do a whole new booking number, etc., to just go from one cabin to another for a customer who is already booked.
I transfered to a TA and the booking number changed. Even though I booked onboard a year ago, have the same cabin, booking on boad credit and HAL insurance (which has to be paid in full at deposit), HAL would not give me the fuel surcharge return. My TA called several times and was finally able to get half in OBC. My question is if my time is worth it to write a letter over the other $50.00 I feel should also be in OBC.

My excursion also got canceled, but I was able to rebook prior to the price increase.

This was all done while I was traveling on business and the TA apprologized for the excursion cancelations.
19,644 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by boris107
I have never heard of this. This air was "confirmed"?