Internet service?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:30 PM.
167 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
I don't know much about computers or wireless internet, but I wondered how the cruise line could charge you for internet service if you use your own laptop? How does that work?

If you use your own cell phone does it work the same way? Do they have some way of charging you for using your own cell phone?

Thanks
6,244 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by patches12
I don't know much about computers or wireless internet, but I wondered how the cruise line could charge you for internet service if you use your own laptop? How does that work?
Real easy.... Their networks are secure......You have to log into their network. To do so you need a password. They then track your time you are logged on and bill you accordingly.
If you use your own cell phone does it work the same way? Do they have some way of charging you for using your own cell phone? Thanks
To use your cell at sea you have to go through their "cell site" which connects to the satellite that provides the linkage at sea. Your cell phone does not work at sea with your provider's cell sites because they are out of range. It needs the ship's communications systems.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Travel Photos @: http://community.webshots.com/user/chasetf
Completed Cruises
Jul 63 SS France, Europe / Trans Atlantic
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD
pa, usa
52 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Would you have any idea what the charge is for the internet using your own laptop?

AT&T told me that the cheapest way for me to commicate with home is through text message. To receive a message was no fee but to send a message was 50cents per message. I figure if the kids each text me once a day that was good. They dont care how I am doing, (haha) I only care that they are ok.
Coastal GA USA
21,704 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Go to the website for your cruise line and click on the FAQ area...every line has one. They give lots of good info there and usually detail internet rates. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Fascination 10/8/17; Carnival Elation 12/11/17;Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
167 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
So if I use my cell phone while in port they cannot charge me? AT&T told me as long as I am in San Juan or the USVI, then there will be no roaming charges....only my normal usage minutes. Do I have to be off the ship? Maybe I could be on the beach???

With my wireless internet, I have an AT&T air card. It has its own cell number so if I have cell service, I will have internet service. I don't think they would be able to charge me, but then again they may have a way of blocking my signal. I may have to be off the ship to use it too.

Your thoughts?
SF Bay Area
1,484 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
So if I use my cell phone while in port they cannot charge me? AT&T told me as long as I am in San Juan or the USVI, then there will be no roaming charges....only my normal usage minutes. Do I have to be off the ship? Maybe I could be on the beach???

With my wireless internet, I have an AT&T air card. It has its own cell number so if I have cell service, I will have internet service. I don't think they would be able to charge me, but then again they may have a way of blocking my signal. I may have to be off the ship to use it too.

Your thoughts?
Ships turn off their cell towers when in port. While in port you have to rely on your cell provider's network.

San Juan and USVI are US territories so you should be in AT&T's national plan (double check with AT&T as plans do vary).
Little Rock, Arkansas
37,374 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
No matter what while at sea any communications (either by cell phone or by internet) will have to go through the ship's systems and at the rates the ship charges. For AT&T it costs $2.49 a minute to use Cellular at Sea (which is what should appear on your phone). The cost of internet access varies depending on the cruiseline, but it's generally in the $.50-$.75 per minute range.

You will only be able to use your Aircard when you are in port - which is when the ship's cell tower is turned off. I don't even know if your aircard will work with the ship's cell tower. If it does, it will cost you $2.49 per minute (AT&T's rate to use Cellular at Sea).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wrona

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 9/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 11/14 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 5/15 Jaco Beach, Costa Rica (View Photos), 6/15 AmaSerena Danube River (View Photos), 7/15 Majesty of the Seas Bahamas (View Photos), 8/15 Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/16 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean, 11/16 Celebrity Silhouette WB TA, 1/17 Celebrity Infinity South America
Moon Township, Pa
23,174 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
All cruise lines block the ability to use those AirCards. Wifi is not free anyplace, unless it's a place like a Starbucks. Ships have package deals where you purchase blocks of time for internet. The more minutes you purchase, the less expensive it is per minute.

As for text messages, you really need to check on those costs. You cannot rely on what your provider says, because they don't know what the cruise line charges for download time if the text message is retrieved while you're on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Darcie
Maryland
3,976 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Bottom line, is that communication either by cell phone or internet is expensive when on the ship. There is no way around it. No WiFi card or specific cell service is going to get your around that.

Internet pricing varies from cruise line to cruise line, but the cheapest is probably going to be $75 or so for a minimal package of minutes. And it makes no difference if you use your laptop or their terminals.

If you have an international package on your cell that will only save you money when you are on land, not on the ship. Cellular at Sea which most cruise lines (if not all) use is $2.49 per minute.

Text messaging costs vary within cell phone companies, but in general, it will be your cheapest option.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charter member of the H!Jackers Society of Ocean's 11

Official hostess for BACE 1 & 2
167 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
So IF their cell tower is turned off, I may be able to use my cell service off the ship? My aircard has two modes...wi-fi and cell. I usually use the cell part to go on the internet. I don't think I have ever used the wi-fi.