I don't know where to go!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:19 PM.
783 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
The good thing about cruising is that in all ports there are so many things to do and there are plenty of offerings that are not beach related. It is hard to choose that first cruise and cruise line. I remember not having a clue. Good news is that if this is your first cruise - you will love it. Each time you cruise you can "define" better what your preferences are. Also - we've done the Eastern, Western and Southern Carib cruises and have loved them all. Some ports we've visited more than once - we just choose to do different things and it is all new again! I agree that you should talk things over with your travel agent. Then relax and enjoy! It's all good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SS Emerald Seas 5/1986; Carnival Ecstasy 7/1996; Explorer of the Seas 5/2001; Norwegian Sun 5/2002; Golden Princess 4/2003; Sun Princess 4/2004; Grand Princess 3/2006; Crown Princess 7/2006; Adventure of the Seas 11/2006 ; Crown Princess 11/2007; Eurodam 11/2008 ; Caribbean Princess 4/2009; Ruby Princess 11/2009; Celebrity Solstice 2/2011
2,874 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by buramiko
I have a hard time deciding destinations and cruise lines, does anyone know..
1. what is the difference between cruising eastern, western and southern caribbean in terms of things to do etc.?
2. I'm not very into sports and sea activities so does that mean I shouldn't go for Caribbean cruises? I mean I love the sun and swimming (pool only cause I'm allergic to sea water) but I don't do beaches and water sports. I haven't been to Caribbean and would love to visit but is there anything else to do, like museums, monuments, sight seeing, fishing, etc.? If yes where should I go (travelling with my husband tentatively April-June)
3. Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, which one should I pick? We would want a nice new big ship but we also want good service. Is Celebrity more expensive and more catered to adult travelers? But are the ships less equipped i.e. fewer things to do onboard? Cause it seems to me the RC ships got more facilities...
Hello,

Widen your search to include other places in addition to the Caribbean. I am not being anti Carib but I sense that you are interested in history and culture and sadly (to Me) the Carib just does not have the interesting places that you see in Europe, Alaska, Canada, Hawaii, South America, and repositioning cruises. There are some truly outstanding and very reasonable repositing cruises in late September, October and November. You can see these on the travel/cruise websites.

Caribbean cruises are for fun in the sun and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this but in your situation I suggest that you look further than the Caribbean for your cruise.

Hope that this helps,

Fred