Tips & Fuel Charges...will one win?

wanderlust88

Well, someone mentioned to me today on the topic of the fuel going up (again), that they will just remove the tips when they get on board..:eek: .Will you do this? I mean really!!?? :cool:

Do you think this will be a trend? This will really affect the service we get on board and truly it will start a rucus!!

Your thoughts???

• 2 weeks later...

I was absolutely astounded at the recommended amount of the tips.

these employees get their housing and food while they are on board and uniforms to wear. Don't the cruse lines pay them a salary at all? Are they only working for the tips?

Cruising costs are already a whale of a lot more expensive than the all-inclusive resorts where there is no tipping at all.

I'd better receive some super fantastic service if they think I'd tip that much.

I was reading on another site that travel industry insiders think that the cruise industry will probably do away with commissions soon, just as the airlines did about five years ago. If that happens TAs will charge a booking fee for cruises. What might also happen is that the cruise price suddenly becomes all inclusive on more lines, one of the reasons they don't advertise the full price is that they'd have to pay commission on the full price, and they don't want to pay commission on crew tips or fuel surcharges.

Another thing that may come in is contingency pricing. I.e. your price is $X provided the price of oil is in the range $100 - $140 bbl. If it goes above, you pay more, if it goes below you get OBC.

Well, someone mentioned to me today on the topic of the fuel going up (again), that they will just remove the tips when they get on board..:eek: .Will you do this? I mean really!!?? :cool:

Do you think this will be a trend? This will really affect the service we get on board and truly it will start a rucus!!

Your thoughts???

I hope no one would do this.:( One has nothing to do with the other.

these employees get their housing and food while they are on board and uniforms to wear. Don't the cruse lines pay them a salary at all? Are they only working for the tips?

Cruising costs are already a whale of a lot more expensive than the all-inclusive resorts where there is no tipping at all.

I'd better receive some super fantastic service if they think I'd tip that much.

I promise you will have ONLY OUTSTANDING service. Treat those folks well please, they work for very little, they are on these ships for 6 months (sometimes longer) without seeing their families and the last thing they need is to have their tips taken away.

BTW they split their tips. 10 dollars a day per person would be an insult to anyone in the hospitality industry in the USA!

• 5 weeks later...

I realize this thread is getting a little old but I just stumbled on it :rolleyes:.

Please, I beg you, do not penalize the crew for the fuel surcharge. It has nothing to do with the service THEY provide you. Do you realize the shifts they work to make our vacation the experience that it is? It isn't uncommon for them to work 7 days a week, 14-16 hours a day! Their regular pay is a nit and they depend on their tips. Who would work that hard for housing, food and clothing only??? They are away from their families for months at a time with very little communication with them. We have received excellent service on our cruises and have tipped above and beyond the recommended amount.

When you go out to eat do you tip the server less if the meal was expensive?

I don't see any past cruises on your signature so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for not having the experience but trust me cruising is not like any all inclusive resort.

I hope you enjoy the cruise you have scheduled.

I realize this thread is getting a little old but I just stumbled on it :rolleyes:.

Please, I beg you, do not penalize the crew for the fuel surcharge. It has nothing to do with the service THEY provide you. Do you realize the shifts they work to make our vacation the experience that it is? It isn't uncommon for them to work 7 days a week, 14-16 hours a day! Their regular pay is a nit and they depend on their tips. Who would work that hard for housing, food and clothing only??? They are away from their families for months at a time with very little communication with them. We have received excellent service on our cruises and have tipped above and beyond the recommended amount.

When you go out to eat do you tip the server less if the meal was expensive?

I don't see any past cruises on your signature so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for not having the experience but trust me cruising is not like any all inclusive resort.

I hope you enjoy the cruise you have scheduled.

What does that mean the Wedding Cruise? Who's getting married?

What does that mean the Wedding Cruise? Who's getting married?

Hey Jeff! Good to "see" ya! I hope all is well with you and your family.

Our youngest son is getting married in St. Thomas and we are cruising there in January. It is a sacrifice but.................

• 4 months later...

Your thoughts???

Then they are jerks. if you can't afford to cruise then you shouldn't.

Archived