Luxury Ships

Beachgator

Perhaps this question has been asked before, but what ships do CC Members consider Luxury? Of the ships considered luxury, which ship (or ships) appear to be the best value? :confused:

Typically, the cruise lines that are considered "luxury" are Seabourn, Silversea, SeaDream, Regent and Crystal. Not sure what you mean by "best value"? 4 of the 5 lines are all inclusive, meaning tips are not expected, and most libations are included. Crystal is the only line that doesn't follow the all-inclusiveness of the other luxury brands.

Host Dan

Typically, the cruise lines that are considered "luxury" are Seabourn, Silversea, SeaDream, Regent and Crystal. Not sure what you mean by "best value"? 4 of the 5 lines are all inclusive, meaning tips are not expected, and most libations are included. Crystal is the only line that doesn't follow the all-inclusiveness of the other luxury brands.

Host Dan

Thanks Dan. What I meant by best value was not the cheapest luxury cruise, but what members felt was the better cruise experience among the ships. Thanks again.

I cruised all five of the luxury lines and it's nearly impossible to answer your question. It all depends on what's important to you concerning value. My personal preferences are Seabourn and Crystal. Both provide exactly what I desire from a luxury line. Crystal is ranked at the top for the best cruise line, large ship category, in most publications. I don't drink, so the all-inclusive booze idea is not at all important to me, and my TA pays my gratuities, so there's another check off the list for all-inclusive. If those issues are important, then Crystal isn't the best value in terms of all-inclusive. But I love Crystal's enrichment activities, that none of the other lines provide. Their guest speakers and daily personal enrichment classes are the best. They also have better, and more, evening entertainment.

But I love Crystal's enrichment activities, that none of the other lines provide. Their guest speakers and daily personal enrichment classes are the best. They also have better, and more, evening entertainment.

Kitty9, you did answer my question and thank you for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

The only luxury ship I've actually cruised on is Seabourn. I've looked at others, and even went so far as booking a Silversea cruise, but changed back to Seabourn. The difference for me is, I travel solo. Therefore two things I take into consideration are (1) the single supplement the line charges and (2) do they cater to solo travelers? I've found Seabourn has the most generous supplements (often 125% compared to most other lines which are 150 or 175%), and they also have a feature that keeps me coming back: a solo lady traveler can count on being invited to a hosted table at dinner in the dining room every single evening. That thoughtful gesture means a lot to me.

Not being able to compare Seabourn to Silversea or Crystal, etc., I can't comment on the differences. But the food and service on Seabourn are excellent, so far above the other cruise experiences I've had. I also love the absence of having to tip, tip, tip all the time. I'm willing to pay more for the all-inclusive experience, and having a ship with so few people on it.

And the cabins are fabulous. Sitting on Seabourn's little window seat (the cabin's windows are huge) and watching the world go by....that's luxury!

Jane

I would love to try one of these cruises, do you think I would be out of place..I am a single female 44 yrs. old and travel solo?

The only luxury ship I've actually cruised on is Seabourn. I've looked at others, and even went so far as booking a Silversea cruise, but changed back to Seabourn. The difference for me is, I travel solo. Therefore two things I take into consideration are (1) the single supplement the line charges and (2) do they cater to solo travelers? I've found Seabourn has the most generous supplements (often 125% compared to most other lines which are 150 or 175%), and they also have a feature that keeps me coming back: a solo lady traveler can count on being invited to a hosted table at dinner in the dining room every single evening. That thoughtful gesture means a lot to me.

Not being able to compare Seabourn to Silversea or Crystal, etc., I can't comment on the differences. But the food and service on Seabourn are excellent, so far above the other cruise experiences I've had. I also love the absence of having to tip, tip, tip all the time. I'm willing to pay more for the all-inclusive experience, and having a ship with so few people on it.

And the cabins are fabulous. Sitting on Seabourn's little window seat (the cabin's windows are huge) and watching the world go by....that's luxury!

Jane

I did my first solo cruise on Seabourn when I was 42 years old, and I haven't looked back. My favorite cruise line, as a solo, is Crystal. They welcome solos with open arms, and have single supplements that start at 125%. I've now done 17 solo cruises on Crystal, with more in the future. You will be among the youngest on board any of those ships, but if that isn't an issue for you, then go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

cjcruiser, have you ever thought about trying a SeaDream cruise. These are much much smaller than Crystal, but provide a truly luxury experience. Also, the average age of the passengers are significantly lower on these ships. This is partly due to the shorter itineraries and partly due to the more active atmosphere. They have kayaks and personal jet skis that passengers can use. This is all included. They usually sit anchored in ports for most of the day. This is a different experience, but I certainly think it is one worth trying, especially for a younger person seeking a luxury cruise. I'm not sure how they price singles though.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh you'd love Seabourn. I travel solo on my cruises. I'm 57. I've been on Seabourn three times, all to the Caribbean because I like to scuba dive. I'm planning my fourth cruise on Seabourn's Legend this December through the Panama canal. As I described in my post above, Seabourn is very thoughtful with regard to single travelers. I've looked around, and few lines, especially luxury lines, have such a great single supplement. It's really easy to meet people on Seabourn too, since there are only about 200 passengers on the ship. They are coming out with a larger ship next year, The Odyssey (about twice the size)....but the fares are twice the size too.

By the way, Sea Dream looks great....but their single supplements are killers!

Jane

• 2 months later...

As several people have said, it all depends upon what is important to you. Having been on Silversea and several others, I would give the following suggestions.

On Silversea you get quiet understated elegance. The service is supurb and the food is second to non. I think the difference between Silversea and Seabourne is the balcanies on Silversea are bigger. If you are a drinker the all inclusive can make a difference. Each cruise line treats the "all inclusive" slightly differently. I think Regent, offers free wine with dinner and liquor in the room but charges for drinks in the bars. On Silversea it is truely all inclusive and the top brands.

I have also been told that Azmara is quite nice as well.

I've heard that Regent handles solo travellers very well. In fact I've met such people. Single supplements are not perfect, but manageable most of the time I believe.

I'm a Regent fan; I've only been on this cruise line so far, although I will consider Oceania in future, and possibly Silversea. I believe Azamara is still struggling to deliver consistent quality.

Regent in fact is truly all-inclusive, except if you want a bottle of Dom Perignon or very expensive wine or liquor. The standard staterooms are also very large, and two of the ships are all-balcony, whereas the third ship is almost all-balcony.

I've done 2 cruises on Regent and did not find that line to be nearly as solo friendly as Seabourn or Crystal. As a matter of fact, on one of my Regent cruises, on Voyager, I tried to sit down for breakfast at a table for four at a window table and was promptly told by a waiter that they don't allow singles to sit at tables for four, and was taken to a table for two, near the dirty dish station. At the table next to me was another solo woman who was told the same thing. Mind you, this was at 9am, and the buffet was nearly empty. Not the best way to attract solos, IMHO>

• 2 weeks later...
I've done 2 cruises on Regent and did not find that line to be nearly as solo friendly as Seabourn or Crystal. As a matter of fact, on one of my Regent cruises, on Voyager, I tried to sit down for breakfast at a table for four at a window table and was promptly told by a waiter that they don't allow singles to sit at tables for four, and was taken to a table for two, near the dirty dish station. At the table next to me was another solo woman who was told the same thing. Mind you, this was at 9am, and the buffet was nearly empty. Not the best way to attract solos, IMHO>

I've never cruised solo....but I've been to France solo and every restaurant I went into, they offered (or just did it) to seat me with another diner(s). I found the experience strange for the first couple of days and then rather endearing once I got the "hang of it". I'm surprised you didn't just ask that other woman -- or the waiter/maitre 'd didn't suggest -- to join you so that you would BOTH be at a better location.

I did after that. The other lady and I were quite surprised by the treatment solo's received on Regent. The other problem was walking into the Compass Rose and asking the head waiter to be seated at a table with others. You'd think we were asking for help to rob a bank.

I need to get on one of these one day in my life....

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://imageplace.info/pages/1417/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://imageplace.info/pages/1417/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

• 2 weeks later...
I did after that. The other lady and I were quite surprised by the treatment solo's received on Regent. The other problem was walking into the Compass Rose and asking the head waiter to be seated at a table with others. You'd think we were asking for help to rob a bank.

Kitty - I find this a bit odd since every time my husband and I go to the Compass Rose for dinner we are asked "table for two or would you like to join some others?" We prefer eating together so we get our table for two but my point is, if we are asked this routinely (on Mariner and Voyager, on all our cruises in the last 4 years) why aren't they asking you as well??

In fact in 2006 we were on a Voyager cruise with a single (woman) friend. She was frequently invited to lunches and dinners by the social staff - sometimes she went, sometimes she stayed with us.

• 1 month later...

I want to put a word in for Crystal and solo...I have just finished my second solo cruise on Crystal ...I am a 53yr old widow and both trips first on Serenity to Spain and just finished Symphony through Panama Canal. My experiences have been wonderful. I have met wonderful other singles on both..sitting at a assigned table of 8 at dinner. Which I love and enjoy. A single on the last cruise says he was put off on Regent when they took him in to the dining room and inquired at tables if it was all right for a single to join. Uncomfortable. Having an assigned table was nice...sometimes I would go to Sushi bar solo...always chatting with others and at breakfast I always got a lovely table by the window solo..when I didn't have breakfast on my verandah. Not a buffet fan. I also have found the couples on Crystal so friendly and warm...I never felt lonely or uncomfortable. I liked that there were more people (than Regent) just figure it increases the odds of meeting other singles and people and they are not giant ships.

Karen

oh and I love love love dressing up...everyone makes you feel so special

Archived