When are you to old to have your hair braided?

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:39 PM.
Cloverdale, ca. USA
221 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Hi, I was thinking about getting my hair braided while on my cruise thru the Panama Canal. So when are you to old to braid your hair? My hair is long and straight. Going on shore excursions I fight tangles getting into the water and wind. I usually take a mirror, comb and my own beads. So whats your opinion? Carla
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carla steckmyer
NH, USA
4 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
I don't know how old you are but you're never too old to get your hair braided! I get mine done every single time I go and I love it! It makes it so much more manageable and it's just so fun! Go for it!
Toronto, ON
165 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
I disagree.

If you don't have enough hair for a braid, or sport a comb-over - yer just too damn old.

Naw seriously - I don't think age has anything to do with it.

But some people can get away with braids and some can't.

If your kids are too embarassed to be seen with you - maybe it's not for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Feb 5th 2005 - Mexican Riviera
Cloverdale, ca. USA
221 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Thanks for the opinions, I have lots of hair and I am in my 40's. My son is grown and gone. He won't be seen with me so I won't worry about that. I am going to Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco and Aruba. Do they all offer hair braiding? Thanks, Carla
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carla steckmyer
1,265 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Oh please, you're on vacation! Relax and have fun.

The only time you're too old is when you're dead, unless you've made that stipulations in your will that that you're funeral arrangements are to include hair braiding!

Hair braiding is all over the place, I doubt you'll have any trouble finding someone to do it for you.. just add a little sun screen in between the rows so you're newly exposed scalp doesn't burn, or you'll like like an exotic zebra!

Have fun and enjoy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
tinsel57

Take a walk outside your mind.
portland, oregon
3,859 Posts
Joined May 2001
my wife had some braids put in her hair while on half moon key --the hal island-and she was 62-63 at the time -------she also went para sailing ---so you are only as old as you feel and its your vacation so braid if you want to
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
9/87 Noordham -10/92 Westerdam - 4/01 Zaandam
5/02 Maasdam - 8/02 Zaandam - 12/03 Statendam
3/04 Oosterdam - 3/05 Celebrity Galaxy -1/07 Oosterdam
big Blue Lake Tahoe
2,231 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by Speechless

If your kids are too embarassed to be seen with you - maybe it's not for you.
I say if your kids are embarassed to be seen by you - its time to do it even more
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
For the record I have been on
A. More cruises than you.
B. The same number of cruises as you,
C. less cruises than you.

take your pick you have a better than a 33% chance of being correct.

NOTABLE CRUISES IN THE PAST
S.S. Minnow 1964-1967
The Mayflower 1620
Noah's Ark 4000 BC
Canyon Lake, Texas
7,102 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Your never too old - I will email you a picture of me and my hair that was done last week in Cozumel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Smooth Sailing
DAVE & KATIE

Song of America 1986....Inspiration-1999.....Celebration-2000....Ocean Princess-2001 ....Elation-2001....Destiny-2002....Tahitian
Princess-2003 ....Destiny-2003....NCL Sea-Apr. 2004....NCL Sea-Sept.
2004 ....NCL Crown-Around Cape Horn-Jan. 2005....Golden Princess-Jun.
2005....NCL Sun-Oct.2005....Empress Of The Seas-Feb.2006....Carnival
Liberty-Mediterranean-June 2006....Pride Of Hawaii-Sept.2006....Freedom Of The Seas-Jan.2007....Sapphire Princess-Alaska-June 2007....Carnival Splendor-Baltic's-Sept.2008....Oasis Of The Seas-Jan.2010 .... Costa Atlantica - New England & Canada - Sept. 2010 .... NCL Sky (Owner's Suite) - Jan. 2011....Carnival Magic - Mediterranean - May 2011.....Windsurf - Jan.2014 .....Viking - Portugal - Aug.2015.....NCL Jade - Venice to the Greek Islands - Oct. 2016......Royal Princess - Jan.2017......Diamond Princess - Asia - April 2017

Future Cruises
Carnival Pride - Bermuda - Sept. 2017
Vision of the Seas - Thanksgiving - 2017
NCL Sun - Around the HORN - Jan. 2018
NCL Spirit - Barcelona to Rome plus Germany - April 2018
Ontari-ario-o-O, Canada
2,915 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
I'm the odd man out here because I think if you're asking if you're too old - you are. Something inside is already telling you you'll look foolish. Listen to your inner voice.

Beth
South Carolina
239 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I don't think you are ever too old as long as you have hair. On one cruise I even saw a man that had the hair on his check braided. It's just a fun thing!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAPINOWAGAIN2

Coral Princess - 2004
Dawn Princess - 2003
Sea Princess - 2002
Regal Princess - 2001
Norwegian Sea - 2000
Veendam
Westerdam
Grandeur of the Seas(2 times)
Monarch of the Seas

KS
62 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
What does it usually cost for braids? We didn't do it in the past, but my daughter might want a few next time. (She'll probably want it all done, but at almost 5 can't sit that long.)
Canyon Lake, Texas
7,102 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
For a good job - It cost around $35 - $40 -- It will take up to an hour and they will pull on your hair quite a bit - If your 5 year old will have trouble with this - go with just a few braids and it should cost much less.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Smooth Sailing
DAVE & KATIE

Song of America 1986....Inspiration-1999.....Celebration-2000....Ocean Princess-2001 ....Elation-2001....Destiny-2002....Tahitian
Princess-2003 ....Destiny-2003....NCL Sea-Apr. 2004....NCL Sea-Sept.
2004 ....NCL Crown-Around Cape Horn-Jan. 2005....Golden Princess-Jun.
2005....NCL Sun-Oct.2005....Empress Of The Seas-Feb.2006....Carnival
Liberty-Mediterranean-June 2006....Pride Of Hawaii-Sept.2006....Freedom Of The Seas-Jan.2007....Sapphire Princess-Alaska-June 2007....Carnival Splendor-Baltic's-Sept.2008....Oasis Of The Seas-Jan.2010 .... Costa Atlantica - New England & Canada - Sept. 2010 .... NCL Sky (Owner's Suite) - Jan. 2011....Carnival Magic - Mediterranean - May 2011.....Windsurf - Jan.2014 .....Viking - Portugal - Aug.2015.....NCL Jade - Venice to the Greek Islands - Oct. 2016......Royal Princess - Jan.2017......Diamond Princess - Asia - April 2017

Future Cruises
Carnival Pride - Bermuda - Sept. 2017
Vision of the Seas - Thanksgiving - 2017
NCL Sun - Around the HORN - Jan. 2018
NCL Spirit - Barcelona to Rome plus Germany - April 2018
Queens, NY, USA
1,090 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
You're never too old to wear braided hair. As a poster above said, some people can pull it off, others can't. Age is irrelevant.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Yvonne

"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking."
-Marcus Aurelius Antonius

1. June 2001: Celebrity ~ ZENITH (Bermuda)
2. July 2002: Celebrity ~ MILLENNIUM (Southern Caribbean)
3. August 2003: Celebrity ~ GALAXY (Western Caribbean)
4. September 2004: Royal Caribbean ~ ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS (Southern Caribbean)
5. September 2005: Royal Caribbean ~ BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS (Mediterranean)
6. November 2007: Cunard ~ QUEEN MARY 2 (Caribbean)
7. October 2010: Royal Caribbean ~ VISION OF THE SEAS (Holy Land & Egypt via Venice)
8. July 2011: Royal Caribbean ~ RADIANCE OF THE SEAS (Alaska)
9. October 2012: Celebrity ~ CENTURY (Hawaii)
10. November 2014: Royal Caribbean ~ EXPLORER OF THE SEAS (Caribbean/ Repositioning)
11. October 2015: Royal Caribbean ~ JEWEL OF THE SEAS (Panama Canal)
12. October 2016: Royal Caribbean ~ ALLURE OF THE SEAS (Western Caribbean)
13. December 2016: Royal Caribbean ~ EMPRESS OF THE SEAS (Western Caribbean-Yucatan)
14. October 2017: Celebrity ~ EQUINOX (Southern Caribbean)
15. April 2018: Royal Caribbean ~ MARINER OF THE SEAS (Arabian Sea and Suez Canal)

16. November 2018: Celebrity ~ REFLECTION (Ultimate Caribbean)
17/18. November/December 2019: Celebrity ~ SILHOUETTE (Southern Caribbean: b2b)

Days at sea: 142... and counting
5,517 Posts
Joined May 2004
We were on a group cruise on Celebrity years ago, and one of the gentlemen with us was in his 60's. He just had a few strands left on top, and we talked him into getting them braided in Antigua. He was such a good sport, and the "braider" did a great job of getting those few strands into a small braid with some colorful beads. He was the hit of the dining room at formal dinner, and we had a formal group picture taken. We all had a great laugh, and so did he!
Cloverdale, ca. USA
221 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
This has been fun, I think I will get my hair braided. Years ago I had my hair braided while in Ocho Rios, It was the last port so I came home in braids and went to work. We were in state survey at the hospital I work at. No body seemed to mind. They all wanted to hear about my vacation. MLB I paid $ 40.00 in Jamaica for a so so job. I have paid $ 20.00 in Mexico for a good job. I then tipped. My hair is to my waist. It takes two people over a hour to do my hair. No one has ever pulled on my hair to the point that it hurt, but the little flower beads they used with the corn rolls were uncomfortable from the wires they used. Smooth sailing I would love to see a picture of your hair braided. [email protected]. Thanks again. Carla
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carla steckmyer
Orlando, FL, USA
3,232 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Just be careful to put sunscreen on your scalp. A sunburned scalp between the rows of braids is NOT fun! and when it starts peeling it's even worse. My daughter will be happy to tell you her horror stories. Also, she found the unbraiding much worse than the braiding. Her hair is down to her rear end and we had to lie her down in the pool and undo the braids while they were wet and underwater! With about a ton of creme rinse!

TinaLee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
TinaLee

TinaLee and David's Christmas Markets River Cruise 2019

Northeast U.S.
4,521 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
You are never too old to have your hair braided, but there is a time frame when it should not be done. Below are my opinions on hairbraiding:

If you are between the ages of 6-18, then hairbraiding looks cute.

If you are 60 years or older, then hairbraiding looks cute.

If you are male, then a braid here and there is kinda cute.

If you are a female, then a few braids are kinda cute.

If you are a female between 18-59, full hairbraiding will never ever look as cute as Bo Derek. Frankly, it will look more like Bo Diddley!

Coka

(For the record, I have seen a few women in the 18-59 category where it looked good).
Sooner State
2,712 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by TahoeBob
I say if your kids are embarassed to be seen by you - its time to do it even more
hmmmm...that just gave me some great ideas to embarass me daughter. Maybe I ought to break out my thong, braid my hair, and sing Britney Spears while were on deck next month. I will fit in beautifully