Wind Surf new Mayan Riveria Cruise

Pamela W.

Just booked this trip for March 13, 2005. Any comments on the PADI onboard instuctors? Will they keep all of your gear, including wetsuits for you on the dive deck? Have they changed the "No tipping" rule since Holland America changed? Can you smell engine fumes from decks one and two (cabin cat A and B) ? We have sailed on Celebrity (our favorite for big ships), but have never been on a small ship before. We did try a live-aboard scuba (18 PAX) but that was too small.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on the Wind Surf twice and you will not smell engine fumes any where on the ship. At night - the ship usually uses the sails to get from port to port with the engines on to keep the electricity, etc. going but not run the ship. It is a magnificent experience. We will be on that sailing as well - we are not divers (anymore) but do a fair amount of snorkeling. The people running the dive operations seemed very competent. Hope this helps.

We have been on the Windstar and the Windsong. We will be on the 3/20 trip on the Surf. I dive.

I have always left my mask, fins, gloves and snorkel on the dive deck next to the wash tank. Brought everything else back to the room.

Usually had 6 to 10 divers with c-cards in the water as a group. They also had a smaller group of Discover divers (maybe 2 or 3). This boat is twice the size of the ones I was one.

The silence of sails only is wonderful. Do enjoy!

• 3 months later...

Yes, they provide everything. When we cruised in 2001, they assigned mask, snorkle and fins at the Monday pool-check. We brought them back to our room after every dive, and they were ours for the week.

This time, we are bringing our own mask and snorkle, just because we like them, but we will use their fins.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I've also read they will lend for the week a shortie suit. Ive become a huge fan of wearing a very thin full-length exposure-only suit. Great for diving (even in tropics) and snorkling (keeps the sun off).

I also suggest your own mask that fits your face perfectly. Nothing worse than a tiny leak.

I did Discover Scuba dives on the Windsurf December 12 with Bart and Linda as the instructors. They were just starting their contract so they should still be on for the Mayan Riviera trips. They were great.

I think there were about 8 people taking the experienced dives. There were 3 to 5 on each of the Discover dives.

I guess the wind wasn't with us on this trip because there was only one time that we were on sails only (part of the sea day and apparently that was only because the sea day allowed enough time that they could sail in the wrong direction for part of it). Being under sail was wonderful. The rest of the tiime we were on engines with the sails just there to look pretty and stabilize the ride. I never smelled engine fumes.

The tipping policy is "No tipping required" which is different than no tipping. You can tip and it is pretty clear that the staff appreciates the tips.

They provide mask, snorkel and fins for the week to all passangers. They did lend shortie suits to divers though I didn't feel any need for one.

Just returned from the beautiful Wind Surf, St. Thomas to Cozumel. Some were very diappointed to have the diving canceled at the last minute do to insurance problems? That said, a private trip was arranged and everyone had a great time. I would have alternate ideas and phone numbers available.

Archived