Question for Scrapbookers

Britany

When I go on cruises, I end up with so many pictures to scrapbook that I end up having to expand and add more pages to my scrapbooks (which typically only hold about 20 pages). It seems like once I do this, the book becomes loose and flimsy. Can anyone recommend a brand of scrapbooks that are nice and sturdy, and don't feel like they are going to fall apart when I expand them? Some of my cruise albums have around 50 pages, and I would like to keep them nice by putting them in a nice-quality, heavy-duty scrapbook album.

Yes some of my books can get a bit large and heavy especially if you use a lot of 'STUFF' on your pages.

You could split it into two albums.

Another idea is to print some of your photos a smaller size so you can get more on the page and so do less pages.

Also I have learnt that I do not have to use every good photo I take. These days with digital camera we end up with so many great shots. I just print them out and put them in a regular album, then use selective shots to tell my story in my scrapbook.

I might suggest a 3 ring binder.. I have been using them for my girls childhood years albums. They come in 1/2 to 5 inches in width.. I don't like the 5 inch ones because they are too heavy at that size. The other negative is they are 8 1/2 x 11. Least that is all I have found at office depot. Then I cover them in fabric to match the pictures and fancy it up alittle bit too . Hope that makes sense.

I agree with Kaseyoz, I usually scrap the story-telling photos and then use a two-up or three-up album to put all the rest in.

Also, how thick your embellishments are has a lot to do with how well or how poorly your pages lay in the finished book. I'm pretty much a flat scrapper, so I have no trouble getting 35-40 pages (total of 70-80 pages since both sides are used) in each album. The lumpiest things in my albums are memorabilia. I don't use any three dimensional embellishments other than that.

I use exclusively Creative Memories brand because it's what works for me. They are very sturdy and are guaranteed.

I believe Michael's sells 3 ring binder style scrapbooks - Homestead Mama, are you using standard binders like a notebook? Or scrapbooks that are 3 ring binders? I ask because I could swear Michael's sells sizes other than 8.5 x 11 but maybe I'm thinking of another place :confused:. And Michael's usually has a coupon in the Sunday paper. I think you can use it online as well.

If you look at the Simple Scrapbooks (simplescrapbooksmag dot com) website they have lots of ideas for taking two-up and three-up photo albums and dressing them up to be more like scrapbooks without the added work.

When I was Costco this past weekend I noticed they had some gorgeous photo albums, 2 to a package, called "library photo albums". I think they were two-ups (two photos on each page) but they had a journaling block next to each photo with lots of room to write about the event in the photo. They were just nicer than what I've seen in the past.

Also, there's nothing wrong with having more than one book per cruise. If you bought matching albums you could just display them together so folks know to look at both albums.

Good luck,

Shara

I would recommend the Creative Memories albums, as well. They expand very nicely and never have that busting open at the seams problem UNLESS you add a lot of bulky items or embellishments to your pages. Plus, they lie flat when opened, which is another really great feature!

Britany,

I use Making Memories 12 X 12 , 3 ring binder albums. I usually can't find them where I live but I recently ordered 3 on line ~ usually about $ 17 -$20. I LOVE them. I just finished last years cruise and I also have about 50 pages! You don't have to worry if you accidently skip a page when using the 3 ring. I have about 4 post bound that are brand new that I will probably never use. Good luck.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I always try to narrow my pictures down as best I can, but it's so hard when there are so many that I like. I will check out the Creative Memories books as well as the three ring binders and see which one will work best for me.

kaseyoz- I like the idea of printing some of the photos in smaller sizes. I usually just print them all in the standard size, but if I plan ahead what I am going to scrapbook, then I can print some of them a lot smaller. Great idea!

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I prefer Close to My Heart albums. They are very sturdy and are postbound albums. The 12x12 size have 3 posts to them rather than 2 like some other brands do. I also replace the posts with longer ones from the hardware store rather than using the extenders sold by CTMH which can feel somewhat flimsy in a heavy album.

Another vote for the CTMH albums - they are a little more expensive, but are extremely sturdy. Unless CM has changed their albums in the last few years, I wouldn't recommend them - that was one reason I switched from their company, because the albums were unstable with lots of pages in them.

I don't recall ever seeing Close To My Heart albums... who do you purchase them from? The price is not an issue for me, I'd rather pay a little more and have a GOOD quality album.

CTMH is primarily a rubber stamping company and you have to order from a consultant like you do with Creative Memories. Just google CTMH and the main website can hook you up with a consultant that lives near you or you can order from an online website.

• 2 weeks later...

I make mine online at http://www.shutterfly.com so the pics are printed on the page and it's all done online then sent to me finished. You can make them as big or little as you want to (4x4 up to 12x12 and as many pages as you want). You can put writing in them as well. And if I want to add to it once I get it then I do (like stickers, etc...)! Saves me lots of time and money:) And space since it's all done online:)

I make mine online at www.shutterfly.com so the pics are printed on the page and it's all done online then sent to me finished. You can make them as big or little as you want to (4x4 up to 12x12 and as many pages as you want). You can put writing in them as well. And if I want to add to it once I get it then I do (like stickers, etc...)! Saves me lots of time and money:) And space since it's all done online:)

That is a great idea... I am actually working on one right now for my trip to Los Cabos. It's the first book I've done through Shutterfly and I'm anxious to see how it comes out! I checked out several of those photo printing websites, but I thought shutterfly had the largest selection of backgrounds.. and it's easy to navigate!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All

I am in the process of making two scrapbooks for my parents recent cruises and was wondering where you all get your cruise scrapbooking supplies from?

Happy Scrapping

:o

I've used Scrapyourtrip.com and Tropicalscrapbooking.com . Love them both.

Something else to remember, especially when one adds extension posts in their album, is that every five pages or so, one should add spacers which helps your album lie flatter. I agree with others though, that it's best to use a couple of albums and also to make your pictures smaller where possible. I will be scrapping our Med. cruise and also love to journal. Have decided to only have a few fancy pages for each port and that there will be pages that only have pictures but no embellishments. If you are using 4x6 standard prints, you can get six on each single page. You can always do one side of a double layout fancy and the other with just prints. Wish companies made regular pocket photo pages for 12 x 12 albums. I also have ringed 12" albums. I use them primarily while I am working on a specific album and then transfer to post system when completed.

Anyone ever taken a scrapbooking cruise? I know how much stuff I take to a retreat and can't image taking it all on a ship. I wouldn't have any room for clothes or even a toothbrush! LOL!

I might suggest a 3 ring binder.. I have been using them for my girls childhood years albums. They come in 1/2 to 5 inches in width.. I don't like the 5 inch ones because they are too heavy at that size. The other negative is they are 8 1/2 x 11. Least that is all I have found at office depot. Then I cover them in fabric to match the pictures and fancy it up alittle bit too . Hope that makes sense.

ACMoore just started carrying a brand of 3 ring binders for 12x12 pages. Love the ease of using these. My last cruise scrapbook was HUGE! and we just got back from Spain a few months before and think that one will be even bigger - so happy to use the 3 ring binder.

Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

I like doing mixed media scrapbooks. I do my regular scrapbook pages and add photo album pages that are 12 x 12. It's sort of the best of both worlds. I scrap the photos I really like and put the rest in album pages in the same scrapbook. (I found a 12 x 12 photo album at TJ Maxx that had a ton of pages that I use to add to scrapbooks.)

Sorry cruz'ntime4us, I don't have an answer to your question. Are the RC pages an odd size?

Archived