Ocean Liners In Movies

I thought I had read a post here some time ago (might be on old board) with a huge list of movies that featured an ocean liner in the film.

Was it here? Can anyone point me in the right direction for this list?

Thanks.

There was a 1960's TV series entitled The Captain and the Queen" or "The Queen and I" - I can't remember which - that had its exterior shots filmed on the 1938 Nieuw Amsterdam. Early version of "The Love Boat." There's also 1959's "The Last Voyage," filmed aboard the Ile France en route to the breakers.

Well, does Moby Dick count? ;)

Besides the already mentioned movies, a few good films are Ship of Fools, and, of course A Night to Remember (X2 - one made for TV, IIRC) plus the rather grim Voyage of the Damned , and obvious ones like the Poseidon Adventure & its sequel, Titanic, and the truly dismal Speed 2 we have

This site which lists a lot of ships in movies, some are passenger ships

Some marginalia are films like The Saboteur:Code Name Morituri a film in which Yul Brynner plays a passenger on a WWII German tramp steamer who's trying to hijack it for the Allies, or the Audrey Heburn movie Sabrina, in which the passenger ship relevance is limited, but still somewhat present.

Oh, and of course there's the shlocky horror film Death Ship with The Queen Mary playing a Haunted Nazi interrogations ship or some such rubbish, and Ghost SHip, a more modern entry of the same stripe.

By no means exhaustive, but that'll give you a start...

There was a 1960's TV series entitled The Captain and the Queen" or "The Queen and I" - I can't remember which - that had its exterior shots filmed on the 1938 Nieuw Amsterdam. Early version of "The Love Boat." There's also 1959's "The Last Voyage," filmed aboard the Ile France en route to the breakers.

The name of the series from 1969 was "The Queen and I". The exterior shots were from the Statendam. The cast included Larry Storch (F Troop) Carl Ballantine (McHales Navy) and Pat Morita (Happy Days, Karate Kid)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063945/

The Last Voyage - It's not a Night to Remember but still a very good movie. They partially sunk the Ile de France to make the Movie. It starred Robert Stack and Dorothy Malone.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0054016/

I'm not sure if any real liner was used, but the film "Legend of 1900" is all about a man growing up on a classic liner through the ages. If not a real ship, the design is certainly inspired by the Lusitania/Mauritania.

The cheesy 2002 horror movie "Ghost Ship", and the silly comedy "The Impostors" were also both set on liners. Cheesy movie "Boat Trip" with Cuba Gooding Jr" was set on and filmed aboard some European cruiser...though I can't recall which.

Somewhere on the ZIP drive I have a list. If I locate it wiil

post.

The Davis film has at the early scenes some great love scenes on a Cruise liner to Rio?

Not to forget the two "Lifeboat" movies one with Tyrone Power and a great cast except for the nazi sub Captain they rescued. That one is based on the

transcript of the famous trial where the British officer was found not guilty after he ordered and placed a few on the life raft overboard. Now that I focus on this one, I forgot the other WWII passenger liner lifeboat movie.

Worst "Cruise" movies?

This is fun:

1. Ben Hur (Disney lines)

2. The Vikings (Norwegian)

3. Goilith Awaits That piece of Science Fiction where Christopher Lee

and many passengers survive underwater for 50 years.

4. ?? something Queen? Frank Sinatra and Rat Pack go after a liner with an old nazi sub.

5. Mayflower 1938ish? Spencer Tracy take the passengers on the Mayflower to America, talk about a bad buffet! (Cruise Critic cruise 1/2 star)

6. Many or a few of those "Mister Motto" mysteries in the 1930's were on passenger liners: dreadful, racist a bit, and dumb stuff. Also Charley Chan

did a cruise or two: less racist (we liked the Chinese) but the dining room scenes were and still are: "priceless". (Celebrity Lines)

7. Twilight Zone episode: Believe it was An Armenian-American character actor who played a zazi (again) sub Captain who is rescued by a passenger ship and for all eternity "relives: his cowardly sinking of the ship. One evil

cruise director. "Timeroff? so maybe Russian?

8. Saw part of a "Gay" cruise thing on cable: ? what it was (Royal Caribbean)

9. Fate is the Hunter Sorry ATF aviation movie! Glen Ford anfd the great Aussie Rod Taylor and Suzanne P!

Now for my Andy Rooney:

Did yah ever wonder? About the fact that most Americans parents and

grandparents arrived to American on Passenger liners?

Was it the "fun ship" or "Love Boat",did they have a "happy" cruise director

and maybe this explains why Americans want to cruise?

---

formal nights were a hoot!

"Gonar, don't you want to wear the Yak skin Tuxedo?"

"Shut up Natasha, we ate it last night"

God Bless my Grandparents for taking that cruise in 1912!

Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

There was a movie in the 80's called "Table for Five" starring Jon Voight. It was about a single guy who took his three kids on a 2 week mediteranian cruise. The name of the ship was The Fjords I think. Made cruising look very boring to a kid. As an adult the cruise was just the background.

The original Love Boat (from the movie titled "The Love Boat" that was the pilot for the series) -- was filmed on the old Sun Princess (aka Spirit of London, later Premier's Majestic and as I learned yesterday from this board, still sailing now for a different overseas line.)

Worst "Cruise" movies?

This is fun:

1. Ben Hur (Disney lines)

2. The Vikings (Norwegian)

3. Goilith Awaits That piece of Science Fiction where Christopher Lee

and many passengers survive underwater for 50 years.

4. ?? something Queen? Frank Sinatra and Rat Pack go after a liner with an old nazi sub.

5. Mayflower 1938ish? Spencer Tracy take the passengers on the Mayflower to America, talk about a bad buffet! (Cruise Critic cruise 1/2 star)

6. Many or a few of those "Mister Motto" mysteries in the 1930's were on passenger liners: dreadful, racist a bit, and dumb stuff. Also Charley Chan

did a cruise or two: less racist (we liked the Chinese) but the dining room scenes were and still are: "priceless". (Celebrity Lines)

7. Twilight Zone episode: Believe it was An Armenian-American character actor who played a zazi (again) sub Captain who is rescued by a passenger ship and for all eternity "relives: his cowardly sinking of the ship. One evil

cruise director. "Timeroff? so maybe Russian?

8. Saw part of a "Gay" cruise thing on cable: ? what it was (Royal Caribbean)

9. Fate is the Hunter Sorry ATF aviation movie! Glen Ford anfd the great Aussie Rod Taylor and Suzanne P!

Colorado

#4 is "Assault on a Queen." "Queen" being the Queen Mary. At least some of the ocean shots are decent!

Lucy: "Wow, you can see a lot from up here. Look at that cigar floating in the water."

Helicopter Pilot: "That's no cigar, lady, that's your ship!"

The Ricardos and Mertzes were sailing to Europe on Constitution, although I think aerial shots of Independence may have been used. IMO, the funniest bit on the "ship" (sets were used) other than Lucy's arrival was when she got stuck in the porthole. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another movie that starred Omar Sharif and Richard Harris on a ship was "Juggernaut." The actual ship was then called the Hamburg and is now called the Maxim Gorky. If you notice my sig line, I was indeed on the Gorky twice.

There was also an episode of Colombo filmed on a ship. Not sure which one.

FYI, "Table for Five"was filmed on the Sagafjord.

Anita

The Columbo movie was on the Sun Princess, the ship filmed at the end of Legend of 1900 was the Rotterdam V and Table for Five was filmed aboard the VISTAFJORD, not the Sagafjord. Boat Trip was filmed on a Renaissance Ship and the upcoming film, "Into the Horizon" - something about a diamond heist was filmed on Radisson's Navigator - I saw them filming this in Nassau.

Hi all. I just remembered another one, "The Mouse That Roared". There's a nice shot of the Queen Elizabeth as the "attacking Army" shoots at it with bow and arrows!

If you haven't seen this movie, find it and watch it, it's very funny.