Will Porters Take A Wheel Chair W/luggage

ld7981

I WILL BE ON THE CONQEUST 10-31-2004, WILL THE PORTERS TAKE CARE OF A WHEEL CHAIR, FOLDING TYPE WITH THE LUGGAGE? I AM TAKING MY MANUAL WHEEL CHAIR AND MY SCOOTER AND WAS HOPE MY WIFE WOULD NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE MANUAL CHAIR WHILE BOARDING.:rolleyes:

When we are traveling with both my husband's power and manual chairs, we usually tag the manual chair and send it with our luggage both at the airport and the pier. We've never had any real problems other than some scratches to his arm rests. To avoid this, I now wrap something like bubble wrap or foam around the rests. Also, as a precaution, I use a bungee cord to attach the leg rests to the chair.

For what its worth, we carry a Hoyer lift for my son who uses a wheelchair. On two cruises, we gave it to the porters to carry on the ship and there were no problems. On our last cruise, we did the same thing, but when we got it from the porters, one of the wheels would not turn due to some kind of collision that caved the surrounding metal in against the wheel. We were not able to get it fixed during that week. On our next cruise, I plan to push the lift myself.

I always send my chair and canes. Wrap it in bubble wrap on arms and bungie cord it. It will be outside your room later on when the luggage is delivered. Check it over carefully then report any problem immediately to the Purser's Desk. They do have mechanics aboard that may be able to help. A bent shaft may not be fixable on ship.

1. Airplane

2. Cruise Ship terminal to stateroon

Seems bubble wrap is common, putting all removable parts in a

nylon bag after labling the bag and items inside, bungie cords,

Wheelchair should be folded and perhaps padded inside as to prevent

damage from getting compressed.

As to boarding the ship:Seems that one could have the chair pushed on if their travel group has someone available. Seems the porters at the ship could push a chair to the ship loading area? Should be a policy on this.

Two Options:

1. Buy a container for your folding chair:

http://secure-shopping-cart.com/haseltine/cart/cart2.html

(hit enlarge)

2. Visit your vendor, wheelchair sales place and get a

shipping container that a chair comes in with.

Those who have good insurance might try and convince the carrier

that it is smart to buy a container?

just thinking

:cool:

Thanks Coloradolad,

Padding inside wheelchair? Maybe bubblewrap again? or foam?

The shipping container is big. How to get container to airport?

The airlines should provide these-would save them repair bills for chairs.

Carryon all removeable parts is probably better than attaching to chair? What do you think?

http://www.haseltine.com/index.html

The folks who make this container give some ideas and photos on their website.

Suspect a used shipping box would work.

The reason to pad the inside of a folding chair is to make sure that

it is rigid enough not to be crushed so easily. Cardboard, a pillow, etc.

Some chairs fold tight, some do not,

The container from this vendor holds all attachments.

http://www.haseltine.com/faq.html

Always carry a bag for wheelchair stuff: removable parts, and do

take a wrench and any tools that help!

My chair is going into the water sometimes so I have some "dust off" air spray to remove sand & spray lube and wash it in the cabin. Then again, I am a bit different. I keep a life vest in my backpack, (inflatable), lotta SCUBA

Snorkeling folks out there.

They say these can be rented. Would be a good purchase for

any larger cities "Handicapped" associations to have!

To close; I believe the concern is the "airlines" as they can destroy anything

versus the cruise lines. They need a "wheel on" policy for back up manual chairs and such as a Hoyer. I'll drop by my vendor and see ih the shipping boxes have potential.

I do ramble: married to a Physical therapist (SCI Craig Hospital) where

we met. I was a Voc Rehab counselor there. Colorado

Judy:

In response to your question, when we are traveling with my husband's power chair, I always carry on his leg rests (elevating) and gel seat to avoid them being damaged. I used to carry on his batteries also, but the airlines usually do not permit you to do so anymore. Ironically, it has been the battery cases that have been damaged most often - usually due to someone opening them to check the type of battery (wet/dry) and not replacing the cover correctly. The chair has always worked however, and the airlines have paid to replace the cracked cases.

The down side to carrying parts on board the plane is that occaisionally, the chair/scooter is not broyught back to the door of the plane. If this happens, you will need to carry the wheelchair parts in addition to whatever other carry-ons you have. Sometimes, not always, there will be someone to help. This has happened most often in foreign airports (Heathrow and Barcelona), but it has happened at some US airports also.

Also, I want to reiterate what one of the other responses mentioned. If your chairs/scooter breaks aboard ship, regardless of the reason ask at the pursers desk if one of the ship mechanics can help. To protect the chair my husband uses every day, he travels with his old chair - the one that we were told had a bad motor 5 years ago. It has broken twice aboard ship: once a bolt broke and the other time something got bent. Both times the ship mechanics were able to fix it and were thrilled with the tip we gave them. The only time we had trouble was when a tire went flat because their air compressors did not have fit the tire valve. In the end, they found a crew member with a bike pump who lent it to us. Now I travel with a small pump just in case..

Colorado, Queene & Dale-

Going to take:

1. pillow or foam for middle of chair when folded

2. bungee cords to make sure it stays closed and rigid

3. bubble wrap for exposed parts (armrests & cables)

4. saran wrap to wrap it up-no scratches

5. bag for all loose parts to carry on plane

6. stickers that say fragile-handle with care

7. stickers with name on them

8. tools for repair of chair

Remember to:

1. ride wheelchair to plane door

2. take advantage of early boarding so wheelchair may be

put in closet

3. mechanics on ship for help fixing chair if needed

4. airline will pay for any damage they cause to chair-

inspect it carefully

Thanks to you all for your thoughts, sharing your book and your time. I've really learned alot in three years. Vocational rehab counselors and PTs are the best (they've taught me so much)!!

Colorado-SCUBA and snorkeling-wow!-maybe someday my husband will be able to snorkel again. I'm sure he can-just have to get his confidence up.

Thanks,:)

It was never in our dreams or plan that I'd eventually be in a wheelchair.

One PT one well, Rehab Counselor and Psychologist.

That is all: we try and

sometimes Fate and maybe a higher power sorts it all out.

Cruises are fun: we are family here.

Joe

I Am 54 Know, Lost My At 50, An Have Not Let It Slow Me Down,still Hunt, Fish, Turkey Hunt, Change Brakes On My Vehicles Ect, Just A Little Slower. But God Has A Plan, I Plan On Being Ready, God Bless

An Do The Rehab With A Purpose Of Going Suba Diving Soon.:)

Colorado and ID7981,

You bring tears to my eyes and hope to my heart. Bless you both.:)

He has worked hard for 3 years and can finally drive again. Difficult if half your body is affected. He's come a long way! He's trying-just wish insurance would pay for more therapy. Seems to be more motivated with PT or OT help.

Thanks,

I'm just a bit confused about boarding the plane with the chair.

We preboard and get to the door of the plane with chair.

Two things can happen:

1. There is room in the closet for our chair.:) Great-fold chair and it's put in passenger area in closet ready when we land.

2. Has to be put in luggage compartment.

Is this when I fold,take off removeable items, bubble wrap and bungee the chair?

I do all this just outside the plane door while others are boarding?

Do the luggage handlers come and take it from me?

I suppose I carry the bubble wrap, bungees etc. in a bag in case it has to be packed up.

Was imagining all this before I went to sleep. Hard to picture in my mind. How does it usually happen?

Thank you-you're so helpful! Wouldn't have tried this without your encouragement.

We have never been lucky enough to be able to store my husband's chair onboard in a closdet - probably because his chair is taller than most due to his height.

Unlike some of the other posters' suggestions, when traveling with his manual chair, I only wrap the arm rests which I usually do shortly before boarding. Once my husband has transferred to an aisle chair, I fold the chair and use the bungee cord to secure the legs on the seat. Then I take his gel seat aboard with me.

When we go aboard ship or travel by plane we use the manual wheelchair to carry our "carry-on" luggage. I push this, my dad takes the lift and my mother drives her power chair. This way we keep everything under our own control (and protection) as much as possible. I use a bungee cord to keep the luggage safely in the manual chair. We gate check everything except our carry-ons and the wheelchair cushion, leg and arm rests and control box for the power wheelchair. We tape signs on everything (name and address, ship name, etc. as well as type of battery: gel, etc. in both Spanish and English).

Just got back from a plane trip. We took only the folding wheelchair this trip. The chair was tagged at check in. A sky cap pushed me to the gate. I received preboarding (this trip was on Southwest, no frills), an airline employee wheeled me down to the plane.......where I was offered an aisle chair to get to seat, but I could walk to my selected seat, and they put the chair underneath. No closets on Southwest. I did not wrap anything, but did take off the footrests. When we arrived at our destination, the chair was waiting for me, with a skycap to push it, right outside the plane. The same situation in the reverse coming home, except the skycap was not there, although my chair was, at the landing where I got off the plane. DH and I arranged carryons in my lap, hanging on chair, and he pushed me up ramp and to the car. Nothing was damaged, and it was a smooth trip. Almost, dare I tempt fate?............easy! :)

It's great to hear your actual experience on the trip.

I'm getting a much better idea of what to expect.

I'm considering flying Southwest Philly to San Diego next November for our cruise to Hawaii. Seems like you'll be going next year also.

Thanks again,

Just to confirm what others have said: it's no big deal taking one's own collapsable wheelchair for air flights. The chair is tagged at the gate and an addendant wheels you to the plane's door and then I walk to my seat (but if that weren't possible they would use one of their own chairs to get me there). Only once so far has the chair been taken onboard and placed in a cabin; most times it goes under with the luggage).

Everytime, so far, at each stop the chair is awaiting me (by the way, those in wheelchairs board first and deplane last). I have always my chair as planned and have always been treated extremely well by the staff.

Just to confirm what others have said: it's no big deal taking one's own collapsable wheelchair for air flights. The chair is tagged at the gate and an addendant wheels you to the plane's door and then I walk to my seat (but if that weren't possible they would use one of their own chairs to get me there). Only once so far has the chair been taken onboard and placed in a cabin; most times it goes under with the luggage).

Everytime, so far, at each stop the chair is awaiting me (by the way, those in wheelchairs board first and deplane last). I have always my chair as planned and have always been treated extremely well by the staff.

Thanks, gerard7- Hope this works as well for us as it does for you.

Archived