bangkok floating market tour

ckaus

Could anyone please advise me what would be the best way to get to the river from town to do a river cruise to the floating markets. Also what company as we only want to go for about 2-3 hours after we get dropped in town from the shuttle off the Volendam.

The Floating Market at Damnoen Saduak is the most popular market and probably the most photgraphed place in Thailand. Actually there are many floating markets around but this one is the most touristy. Here's a good website showing all the floating markets in the Central Region of Thailand.

If you are docking at Laem Chabang, it's two and a half hours to Damnoen Saduak. However, there is a new Floating Market in Pattaya which is much closer to where the ship docks. Only problem is that it's not authentic, although they do their best to show Thai culture from the four regions of Thailand.

I know Bangkok Day Tours will pick you up from the ship or your hotel and take you there and they seem popular with others who have taken various cruises. There's a thread about them here.

The Floating Market on the way to the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi is the original market at Damnoen Saduak in Ratchaburi Province. This market operates every day and starts about 4:30am or just before day break for the local community. Later in the morning it gets very busy with lots of boats on the canal, which adds to the atmosphere and makes it an experience not to be missed.

The website I mentioned above has specific information about the history of this market.

Incidentally, the 'klong' in my nic means 'canal' in Thai and I have a close affinity with the wonderful system of canals used widely throughout Thailand for irrigation to less fertile areas.

The Floating Market on the way to the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi is the original market at Damnoen Saduak in Ratchaburi Province. This market operates every day and starts about 4:30am or just before day break for the local community. Later in the morning it gets very busy with lots of boats on the canal, which adds to the atmosphere and makes it an experience not to be missed.

The website I mentioned above has specific information about the history of this market.

Incidentally, the 'klong' in my nic means 'canal' in Thai and I have a close affinity with the wonderful system of canals used widely throughout Thailand for irrigation to less fertile areas.

Klongmaster: Do you think we should visit Tiger temple or not? I have read mixed opinions on this. My husband and daughter love tigers and would be thrilled to be up close to them but of course would be distressed if the tigers were mistreated.

I would be extremely careful re visiting any sites in Thailand that have live animals. On leaving our recent Princess cruise in Bangkok we were taken ( without any consultation or prior information) to a so-called tourist attraction ( Nong Nooch) before we went for lunch prior to being taken to our hotel in Bangkok. At this 'park' there was an elephant who was chained and earned its daily food by continually lifting large tourists up with its trunk while photographs were taken by the 'amused' onlookers. On a bench nearby were two chimpanzees, also chained, who were morbidly obese as they were continually fed bananas ( and cans of Coke) by the people who were paying to be able to take their photographs with them. Their stomachs reached their knees and and some of the morbidly obese visitors were encouraged to bare their overlarge stomachs while their photographs were taken with the chimps. There was also a small cheetah laying on a stone in the full sun attached to a chain about twelve inches long. This meant that it could barely raise its head apart from when it was poked with a stick by its keeper to make it snarl for the visitors and for the benefit of those who paid to be able to take its photograph. I felt physically sick and was near to tears at this gross animal cruelty. My DH and I, along with several others, returned to the coach rather than support this obscene spectacle. What made it more sickening was the number of fellow travellers who appeared to think that this was a fantastic photo opportunity to show the folks back home. Avoid at all cost.

Ros

Good Morning America recently did a segment on the Tiger Temple and altho it was quite brief they mentioned that some people thought the animals were drugged or sedated. It was just a throw- away line tho and the reporter just said that the monks deny it and that was it. Seems like that would have made it a more controversial and therefore more compelling piece of TV if they had investigated and found it true so my conclusion is that it is not.

Nylsor, was it Princess that took you to that dreadful place? I do hope you took the time to complain so that they are aware and perhaps change the schedule to avoid it.

---------------

Helen

Klongmaster: Do you think we should visit Tiger temple or not? I have read mixed opinions on this. My husband and daughter love tigers and would be thrilled to be up close to them but of course would be distressed if the tigers were mistreated.
People have mixed opinions about the Tiger Temple...it seems that those who have not been there are against it and those who have visited have found nothing to back up the claims of drugging etc...

There is another alternative which you might like to think about which gives the children a much wider exposure to a greater variety of animals. I have been here to the wildlife sanctuary - and also to the Tiger Temple obviously - and it's a hoot, especially the giraffes putting their long neck through the bus windows to eat food from your hands. Both of these places are in Kanchanaburi province. You daughter would love cuddling the tiger cubs especially.

Nylsor, was it Princess that took you to that dreadful place? I do hope you took the time to complain so that they are aware and perhaps change the schedule to avoid it.

---------------

Helen

Yes. it was - indirectly. Princess employ a company with coaches and guides who meet you when you leave the ship. Also, the people who were boarding the Diamond later that day for the cruise from Bangkok to Beijing were also taken there. I spoke to one of them. And yes, we did complain. We were met with shrugs and ' our clients really love it'. We didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Temple

If you are considering visiting Tiger Temple, please read this information. The tigers are chained and kept in cages apart from when they are paraded for visitors. Please don't encourage this animal cruelty. The animals are there to make money for their keepers - it doesn't matter whether they are monks or not. There are wonderful things to see in Thailand - you can see animals kept in humane conditions at home.

I have been to the Tiger Temple and met the monk in charge..I saw nothing to indicate that the animals are mistreated in any way. As for being in cages in the evening...they are using the donations to build a tiger island which obviously would be better...this is a third world country, the animals seemed to be in good condition, no obvious skin diseases and well fed (thank goodness).

As for other "tourist" attractions involving animals I do share the concerns expressed here, the "zoo" in Bangkok is horrible, the animals are in extremely poor condition and awful circumstances.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

---------------

Helen

Yes. it was - indirectly. Princess employ a company with coaches and guides who meet you when you leave the ship. Also, the people who were boarding the Diamond later that day for the cruise from Bangkok to Beijing were also taken there. I spoke to one of them. And yes, we did complain. We were met with shrugs and ' our clients really love it'. We didn't.

We will be Bangkok to board the Diamond in april and on the way from hotel we will stop there too for lunch and than taken to the ship so it looks like its still being done as it is a princess tour.

• 1 month later...

We used this group recently for Floating market tour and other full day tour in Bangkok as well as pickup at cruise ship....it was wonderful and I would highly recommend them. Our guide was Katy and I would ask for her if possible. Pat

Miss Petrada

Customer Service Department

Chang Thai Travel

www.changthaitravel.com

www.bangkok-transfer-tour.com

Tel: +66 (0)2 5973537, Hot Line: +66 (0)81 7015145 / +66 (0)86 5005279

Fax: +66 2 5973547

Email: info@changthaitravel.com and info@bangkok-transfer-tour.com

3. Service Rate: Damneon Saduak Floating Market Tour for 2 persons on 3-FEB-2009 = THB 3,200.- (Private Tour)

Price: THB 1,600.-/person

Type: Half Day Tour

Tour Time: 7:30-13:00

Pick up: Our tour guide will be waiting at Hotel Lobby on 3-FEB-2009, Time 7.30am

Please review tour details on page: http://www.changthaitravel.com/package_tours/bangkok/floating-market.html

Inclusions:

>> Private tour by air-condition vehicle.

>> Transfer from/to hotel

>> 30 minutes speedboat trip along fruit plantation

>> English speaking guide

Exclusions:

>> Personal expenses such as drinks, insurance, tips for guide, etc

>> Small boat board along the Floating Market

>> Lunch --- Our tour guide will suggest a good local restaurant.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. I just reviewed the Wildlife Santuary. That looks great. However, the put the floating gardens that are authentic with the Tiger Temple. Therefore, I guess you can't do the authentic floating gardens and the Wildlife Sanctuary with Bangkok Day Tours.

OK I guess I could do the Wildlife Sanctuary one day and the half day floating market tour with the other agency recommended on this thread.

We used this group recently for Floating market tour and other full day tour in Bangkok as well as pickup at cruise ship....it was wonderful and I would highly recommend them. Our guide was Katy and I would ask for her if possible. Pat

Miss Petrada

Customer Service Department

Chang Thai Travel

www.changthaitravel.com

www.bangkok-transfer-tour.com

Tel: +66 (0)2 5973537, Hot Line: +66 (0)81 7015145 / +66 (0)86 5005279

Fax: +66 2 5973547

Email: info@changthaitravel.com and info@bangkok-transfer-tour.com

3. Service Rate: Damneon Saduak Floating Market Tour for 2 persons on 3-FEB-2009 = THB 3,200.- (Private Tour)

Price: THB 1,600.-/person

Type: Half Day Tour

Tour Time: 7:30-13:00

Pick up: Our tour guide will be waiting at Hotel Lobby on 3-FEB-2009, Time 7.30am

Please review tour details on page: http://www.changthaitravel.com/package_tours/bangkok/floating-market.html

Inclusions:

>> Private tour by air-condition vehicle.

>> Transfer from/to hotel

>> 30 minutes speedboat trip along fruit plantation

>> English speaking guide

Exclusions:

>> Personal expenses such as drinks, insurance, tips for guide, etc

>> Small boat board along the Floating Market

>> Lunch --- Our tour guide will suggest a good local restaurant.

:)Thanks for that information. How long does it take to get to the markets? How long are you actually there? Has anyone ever used Oriental Escape Tours? We are travelling to Bangkok and Chiang Mai at the end of September and are looking at some tours to organise. Any suggestions? The trip up to Chang Rai would be a very long one by the looks of it so we are thinking of something closer when up north. What weather can we expect at that time?:confused: We have been in Bangkok in November, but never at the end of September/early October. Thanks for your help.

Archived