Vancouver Hotels in July '05?

Perley1

Hi - am traveling with my Mom for her 60th b-day on Island Princess July '05. We are currently booked at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, but it's $218 before taxes. Anyone have any suggestions for hotels that would have shuttles to the ship? Our transfers only cover airport to hotel if we aren't staying at a Princess hotel. Thanks!

Hi Perley1,

For a shuttle-free transfer to the ship, you might want to consider the Pan Pacific which is part of the Canada Place Cruise Terminal. Or, across the street from Canada Place is the Fairmont Waterfront. Staff at both hotels(I am told) will help to get luggage to the cruise terminal while you will have a short walk to the embarkation area. For what you are paying at the Westin, you may be able to make a reservation at either of these hotels for close to the same price. It would be worth checking, in my opinion.

Hi - am traveling with my Mom for her 60th b-day on Island Princess July '05. We are currently booked at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, but it's $218 before taxes. Anyone have any suggestions for hotels that would have shuttles to the ship? Our transfers only cover airport to hotel if we aren't staying at a Princess hotel. Thanks!
There are no hotel shuttles to the cruise ships that I know of. That's probably because it's only a short taxi ride from most downtown hotels.

As mentioned above, The Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront hotels are closest to Canada Place (where the Island will depart from), but also MUCH more expensive than the Westin.

Have you considered trying a Priceline bid? This past summer, many people were getting the Hyatt Regency and Mariott Pinnacle on 4* bids in the $60 - $85 range. The Princess hotel packages tend to be very expensive!

ell :)

Thank you very much ell52! I'm SO excited about this trip - something to get me thru the cold winter of MN! ha!

Since you're from Vancouver - do you have suggestions for a couple sight-seers?! We arrive in Vancouver around 10:30 am on Friday, and the ship doesn't leave til Sat. at 5:30 - so we have lots of time to play! :)

Any suggestions welcome! Is the Empress Tea worth it? How about Butchart Gardens? (those are the only 2 things I've read about so far)

Thanks!

Pam

Both the Empress tea and Butchart Gardens are on Vancouver Island (Empress Hotel is in Victoria) and would take at least a day trip to do. IMHO, the Empress Tea is over-rated and gotten v. expensive. There are other teas in smaller venues that are better.

The evening you arrive, you might want to try one of the many ethnic restaurants in the city, or maybe just a steak or seafood place.

For things to see in Vancouver (the city), I'd recommend Stanley Park, Granville Island where there's a public market, the Aquarium in Stanley Park, Chinatown and Gastown. If you like shopping, there's Robson Street. So many things to do. What are your interests?

There's also The Vancouver Trolley - a hop on and off bus that goes to most of the popular tourist spots in the city. You can stay for as long as you like and when you're ready to leave, just hop on the next trolley. It's very popular and you see quite a lot for the time and money.

Just out of town, there's Grouse Mountain, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, or Lynn Canyon Bridge. If you do a search or look at the CC "Ports of Call" board under Alaska or Canada, you will find lots of other recs.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you considered trying a Priceline bid? This past summer, many people were getting the Hyatt Regency and Mariott Pinnacle on 4* bids in the $60 - $85 range. The Princess hotel packages tend to be very expensive!

I just bid on Priceline for a 2 night pre cruise stay.

I won the Mariott Pinnacle for 50.00, Fri and Sat night.

Vancouver is a great town to spend time in.

Congratulations on your winning bid! You'll like the Pinnacle.

ell

Good....I was hoping that it's a good hotel. I've only stayed at The Hyatt before. I've looked at The Airpoter Shuttle map, and it looks like a drop-off is across the street from the hotel.

Now, even after a few trips to YVR, I still can't get use to crossing the street?? When the light turns green, it's everyone for himself! I am getting better at it though:)

we stayed 5 nights at the Empire landmark on Robson street in May of this year pre cruise. The room was very comfortable, all usual facilities although the bathroom was quite small. It is the tallest hotel in Vancouver and has a revolving restaurant/cocktail bar on the top floor ( 40th I think )We had fantastic views of the bay and mountains. It was well positioned for the trolley tour as it stopped on Robson street and also for shops and restaurants.A taxi to the port was very reasonable and took us straight to kerbside where you drop your cases off to the ship's porters.We booked the hotel through expedia and got a very good rate equivalent to 50 english pounds per night.

Archived