Private guide and or tour of San Juan

Jim B

I really need some help!!

8 of us fly into San Juan on 02/14/05 arriving very late.

Decided to stay at Comfort Inn.

Our cruise aboard the Radisson Seven Seas Diamond "ADRIFT" does not leave until 5:00 p.m. on 02/15/05.

Would someone please give me a name, phone, email, web page of a tour company that would pick us up,(including luggage), at the Comfort Inn, give us about a 4 to 5 hour tour, then drop us off at the dock so we could board our ship.

really do want to try and find something. I have looked on line and so far come up empty.

Thank you

Jim B

Here's a clip from my Paradise review when we used Javier as a tour guide. He was personable tour guide, and having lived in Puerto Rico most of his life, he knew all the good stuff including all the historical information.

"The cruise director had informed us that it was an easy walk for able-bodied people up to the fort. However, it was an extremely hot day, and we were very hot after just a few steps from the ship. The street was full of independent tour guides seeking willing tourists. A young man named Javier approached us, seemed trustworthy, had a nice looking 22-passenger van with at least 6 people already on it. He promised a tour of the city, a tour of the Bacardi Rum Distillery with at least 2 drinks each, and then drop-off in the shopping area. (Others were promising the Rain Forest and other such stops, so just look for one offering what you want to see. You can also work out other arrangements like a swim and ride back to the ship instead of shopping – just ask!) The cost was only $20 each. Beware though – they don’t leave until their vehicles are full!

The tour was wonderful. In addition to seeing the forts and other points of interest, Javier also told us about the history, demographics, political and economic information about San Juan. We really enjoyed the visit to Bacardi, picked up some nice shirts there, and enjoyed trying a variety of mixed drinks (very small). However, we didn’t buy any liquor there, as we could buy more duty free at a lower price in St. Thomas.

Javier dropped us off at the Barachino Village, where the Pina Colada was invented, so, of course, we had to drop in there for a Pina Colada and some appetizers since we had missed lunch. We visited a few shops. Right across the street from Barachino was Gems and Pearls. I wasn’t interested in any of their jewelry, but they had some lovely pieces of artwork, and Roger negotiated a lovely piece of the Don Quixote collection for me. (We have a special affection for Don Quixote because of our Marriage Encounter connections!) At another store, we got postcards, t-shirts and souvenirs for home. Then we had an easy downhill stroll to the ship.

We had planned to eat dinner at the Parrot Café this evening, and Javier, who had previously worked there as a bartender, suggested we dress nicely for the evening meal there, so we returned to the ship to change. But clouds rolled in with lightning during our return to the ship, so we decided to stay aboard for dinner! But, we still had time for sushi and drinks before dinner!"

Jim,

We are sailing on AOS next June and have booked a couple nights precruise at the Comfort Inn also, so would you be kind enough to provide some feedback on the hotel after your trip?

Good luck with finding a tour guide. Wish I could help, but we haven't finalized our Puerto Rico plans, so haven't done that research yet.

I have used Jesus Falcon in San Juan twice and both times were great. Jesus is very nice, bilingual (English and Spanish) and just a joy to be around. He will taylor your experience for you and take you where you want to go and when you want. I will give you an example. Eight of us were going to the Rain Forest (Awesome) and the women on the way said, "Were Hungry", he stopped and took us to get breakfast and it in itself was a really neat experience. You just can't get that from a Cruise Line and he is less expensive too.

Horseback, City Tour, Bicardi Tour, Rainforest Tour, Jesus does it all. He will even pick you up with all your luggage and take care of you totally.

His Phone numbers are:

Home 787-797-1936

Mobile 787-593-0120

Pete Taylor is the man in Jamaica, Jesus Falcon is the man in San Juan!!

Brad

Bafiremed@yahoo.com

Explorer of the seas 10-11-2002

Navigator of the seas 10-12-2003

Adventure of the seas 10-17-2004

Just received my first response from a tour company in San Juan.

Debbie Molina of Legends of Puerto Rico sent me all kinds of information by e-mail. Little more expensive than I thought but something we could work with.

Sure hope I get responses from others.

• 1 month later...

Our group of 8 just booked a private tour with Debbie of Legends of Puerto Rico for 02/15/05.

They will pick us, (and our luggage), up at the Comfort Inn at 9:30 am. Give us a 5 hour tour which includes both Legends of San Juan and San Juan City cultural tour.

When finished they will drop us off at The Radisson Diamond so we can board our ship for the cruise. (around 2:30 pm.)

Price seemed a little high at first, but when we figured out taxi fare per person and luggage charges it made this real reasonable.

Archived