RCCL - Financing problems with Oasis

BaumD

USA Today is reporting that RCCL may have trouble coming up with $1.2 Billion in financing to take delivery of Oasis in November.

Anyone want to buy a cruise ship cheap?

Interesting, can you post the link,as I cant find it on the USA today website

Thanks

My take: This is nothing new. This appears to be based on a 10-K from 2008. Companies generally need to report all that can potentailly go wrong in these filings. Keep in mind you could look at the 10-K from any company and type up a scare article like this one about the funding for Oasis. From everything I have read so far they seem to be in fairly good shape so far as the financing for the new ships goes - the major problem will be filling the ships at a price where they can be profitable. Royal Caribbean definitely is facing challenging times, but the article about the funding for Oasis is nothing new and not an immeditate concern.

Also note that if a significant new doubt just surfaced regarding their financing of Oasis the stock would plummet and this is not the case - RCL has held most of yesterday's gains.

The stock was up 21% yesterday and is up a bit over 2% today as of this posting. Obviously no major market movers feel this is news. Again, you can look at the 10-K from ANY company and type up a similar scare article. This is not to say that RCL is not facing very difficult times (they are) but this article is not news.

No surprises here....

Anybody called the Sultan of Brunei or the Princes of Dubai?

This thing would make a great resort for one of their fancy islands....

They had something on NBC Nightly News that Dubai's economy is slowing down also. They are having trouble selling space in the high rises they are trying to build.

Brinda

I am not saying what to believe or think, but seriously USA today for news on something that they know absolutely nothing.

jc

Did you really bother to read before making this comment. If you did, you might find they are only reporting on what RCI reported in their 10-K filing which is material information.

This is not one of your better displays of your unique wit.

Is it time for Carnival to take over RCI??!!

They would not even consider doing that in the current conditions:

1) There would not be financing for it.

2) RCL is experiencing significant decrease in revenue - somthing that makes a company generally not attractive for a takeover.

3) RCL has massive debt - also something not generally attract to a potential buyer.

Did you really bother to read before making this comment. If you did, you might find they are only reporting on what RCI reported in their 10-K filing which is material information.

This is not one of your better displays of your unique wit.

Why would any intelligent person read the USA today?

That would probably lower Einstein's IQ by 5 points.

Since Gonzo has reported it was from their 10-K report from October... that would definitely prove it was news today. :D:D

jc

Why would any intelligent person read the USA today?

That would probably lower Einstein's IQ by 5 points.

Since Gonzo has reported it was from their 10-K report from October... that would definitely prove it was news today. :D:D

jc

Obviously, you have little, or very basic knowledge of market movers. Those who might make moves on a daily basis in the stock market look everywhere for info that could, for right or wrong reasons, move a position and a right play can bring in additional profit. Being published today can make for such an occasion. If you're not into it, I understand the lack of knowledge.

Obviously, you have little, or very basic knowledge of market movers. Those who might make moves on a daily basis in the stock market look everywhere for info that could, for right or wrong reasons, move a position and a right play can bring in additional profit. Being published today can make for such an occasion. If you're not into it, I understand the lack of knowledge.

The 10-K was published yesterday after the market closed. Were there anything new or significant the stock would have sold off during pre market trading this morning and gapped down at the open. This did not occur and the stock spent part of the day in the black - therefore this article is nothing more than sensationalism. Again, I am not saying RCL is in good times - they are in very rough times. I am just saying that this article is taking something out of context and presenting it in a sensationalized manner.

Let me put this in a different way. On commercials on TV for prescription medication towards the end of the commercial they list the side effects. This is similar to what is done in a 10-K - the company has to list everything they can conceive of that might go wrong.

This article would be the equivalent of someone in the press watching a TV ad for a medication for cholesterol, hearing during the side effect list that in rare cases strokes may occur, and then issuing a press release stating that the pharmaceutical company has admitted that their medication leads to strokes.

Is there anything you are not an expert on? :D

There is an expression that comes to mind a jack of all trades and a master of none.

jc

The 10-K was published yesterday after the market closed. Were there anything new or significant the stock would have sold off during pre market trading this morning and gapped down at the open. This did not occur and the stock spent part of the day in the black - therefore this article is nothing more than sensationalism. Again, I am not saying RCL is in good times - they are in very rough times. I am just saying that this article is taking something out of context and presenting it in a sensationalized manner.

Gonzo, trust me, I day trade and I certainly am aware what can shake the market. The point is, you look for info everywhere, including USA today.

Archived