Anyone have any thoughts on what to do in Antigua?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:41 AM.
southeastern Massachusetts
199 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We will be taking the CB repositioning cruise on May 17th and one of the stops is in Antigua. Stopped there once and just walked around town for a few hrs, we were wondering if there was anything that would be good/fun to see/do?
Montreal Canada
7,070 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Beaches lots and lots of beaches!!!
Darkwood beach by bus 22 in front of Market a few minutes walking from dock
I f I knew how I would post my pictures
Somerville, MA
3,165 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by mistyPA
We will be taking the CB repositioning cruise on May 17th and one of the stops is in Antigua. Stopped there once and just walked around town for a few hrs, we were wondering if there was anything that would be good/fun to see/do?
Hi,
We've been to Anitgua twice and the first time we took a wonderful excursion, it was a catamaran sail to Bird Island, it included snorkeling, a beach stop and lunch great fun.
Bird Island Excursion Photos Here

The second time we stopped there was funny because my DH was diving there and I was not and he asked the dive operator what he could suggest for me to do there and Carlos replied, "Please, don't leave your wife in St. John's". I'm not sure why he said that but we took his advice and hired a taxi to English Harbor. It was a lovely ride along the coast with a stop at Shirley Heights to see the colonial harbor from above before making our way down to the Harbor itself and Nelson's Dockyard.
It was a lovely day.
Here are the photos from that day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharon
Seeing the world one port at a time, on Princess

Our Princess Photo Albums

My Princess Blog Entry

Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean 1991, Dreamward Bermuda 1994, Sun Princess Western Caribbean 1997, Grand Princess Grand Mediterranean 1999, Dawn Princess Southern Caribbean 2000, Ocean Princess Mexican Riviera 2001, Crown Princess Hawaii to Tahiti 2001, Dawn Princess Eastern Caribbean Explorer 2002, Carnival Conquest (it was free) Western Caribbean 2003, Dawn Princess Full Transit Panama Canal 2003, Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean 2004, Coral Princess Panama Canal 2004, NCL Dream Western Caribbean 2005, Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean 2005, Coral Princess Alaska Land and Sea 2005, Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean 2006, Golden Princess San Juan to NYC 2006, Star Princess Scandinavia/Russia 2006, Star Princess Western Caribbean 2007, Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean from NYC 2007, Star Princess Egypt/Aegean 2007, Emerald Princess TransAtlantic/Europe 2008, NCL Dream Bermuda 2008, Star Princess Mexican Riviera 2008, Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean from NYC 2009, Ruby Princess Europe/TranAtlantic 2009, Ruby Princess Southern Caribbean 2010, Emerald Princess Western Caribbean 2010, Golden Princess Hawaii 2010, Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean 2011, Ruby Princess Greek Isles 2011, Caribbean Princess B2B Southern Caribbean 2012 Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean Christmas 2012, Caribbean Princess British Isles 2013, Caribbean Princess Canada/New England 2013, Royal Princess B2B Caribbean 2014, Caribbean Princess Caribbean 2014, Island Princess Grand Med 2015, Ruby Princess Baja/Sea of Cortez 2016, Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean 2016 and 2017
South Carolina
827 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
If you haven't been to English Harbor, it is definitely worth seeing. We've never seen anything like Nelson's dockyard elsewhere in the Caribbean. It is historically well preserved, and is truly unique.

DavidnSteph
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Zuiderdam: Northern Isles, July 2018
Crown Princess: Eastern Caribbean Christmas, December 2017
Land Tour of Ireland: June/July 2017
Caribbean Princess: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving Cruise, November 2016
Land Tour of Switzerland: May 2016
Westerdam: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving Cruise, November 2015

Land Tour of Benelux: May 2015
Ruby Princess: Western Caribbean New Years Cruise, December 2014
Land Tour of Eastern Europe: May/June 2014
Royal Princess: Eastern Caribbean Holiday, December 2013

Land Tour of Austria and Switzerland: May/June 2013
Ryndam: Western Caribbean Holiday, December 2012
Land Tour of Italy: May/June 2012
Grand Princess: Eastern Caribbean, November 2011
Land/Sea Tour of Scottish Highlands and Islands: May/June 2011
Crown Princess: Western Caribbean, November 2010
Royal Princess: Caribbean Calypso, April 2010
Ruby Princess: Southern Caribbean, November 2009
Coral Princess: Exotic Panama Canal, April 2009
Caribbean Princess: Canada-New England, August 2008
Emerald Princess: Southern Caribbean, February 2008
Caribbean Princess: Eastern Caribbean, October 2007
Tahitian Princess: Tahiti-Hawaii, June 2007
Crown Princess: Southern Caribbean, November 2006
Regal Princess: Alaska, May 2006
Norwegian Majesty: Caribbean, November 2005
Dawn Princess: Caribbean, April 2005
Regal Princess: Canada-New England, October 2004
Golden Princess: Eastern Caribbean, March 2004
Sun Princess: Mexican Riviera, April 2003
Sun Princess: Panama Canal, April 2002
Sea Princess: Alaska, June 2001
Ocean Princess: Southern Caribbean, March 2000
North Carolina
1,534 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
We did the Circle Antiqua by Sea with Princess and it was great.
This tour was awesome and well worth every penny that we paid. We were able to see some of the homes of the rich and famous, had a fabulous barbecued lunch along with rum punch and other tropical cocktails throughout the trip. The trip stops for about 2 ½ hours on a small island beach and you can swim, lounge or snorkel to a nearby reef. There was a lunch of chicken or fish, salad, coleslaw, rice, and pasta salad served on the catamaran. Even with around 100 people on board it never felt crowded. NOTES: While not completely a party boat, the tour guides do provide PG-13 entertainment that may not be appropriate for all kids. Also, there is approximately 20 minutes travel through the Atlantic that is a bit choppy and I would recommend taking it easy on the alcohol before this time and maybe taking some sea sick precautions before going. I only saw/heard about two people that got or felt sick.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Western Caribbean:Grand Princess - Jan 5, 2008
Eastern Caribbean:Emerald Princess - Dec 30, 2008
Alaska's Inside Passage:Star Princess - May 15, 2009
Eastern Caribbean:Emerald Princess - Jan 10, 2010
Western Caribbean:Emerald Princess - May 9,2010
Western Caribbean: Crown Princess - Dec 10, 2011
Eastern Caribbean: Disney Fantasy - Dec 1, 2012
Eastern Caribbean: Disney Fantasy - May 18, 2013
Eastern Caribbean: Freedom of the Seas - April 19, 2015
Western Caribbean: Freedom of the Seas - April 10, 2015

Bahamas: Disney Dream - January 9, 2017
Victoria BC
2,868 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We got a taxi to Valley Church beach and had a wonderful day, the beach was lovely and I kept on expecting to see Johnny Depp come out from around the corner....it was very private and nice. Really good beachfront restaurant owned by a man named Elvis. We rented chairs, ate lovely curries, salads, drank ice cold rum punches and beers and had the whole beacj to ourselves for quite a few hours. The taxi driver who dropped us off picked us back up at the appointed hour and we paid him when we got back to the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Saphire Princess 10 day Mexican Rivera 2011
Sapphire Princess Mexican Rivera 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=62545
Carribean Princess NYC -San Juan 2008
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=48777
Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal May 2008
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=43038
Diamond Princess Mexican Rivera Nov 2006
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=23272
NCL Spirit Pacific Coastal 2005 <---Trying hard to elimate that horrible cruise from my memory bank.
Other Princess cruises long ago
B.C. Canada
74 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by quincytoo
We got a taxi to Valley Church beach and had a wonderful day, the beach was lovely and I kept on expecting to see Johnny Depp come out from around the corner....it was very private and nice. Really good beachfront restaurant owned by a man named Elvis. We rented chairs, ate lovely curries, salads, drank ice cold rum punches and beers and had the whole beacj to ourselves for quite a few hours. The taxi driver who dropped us off picked us back up at the appointed hour and we paid him when we got back to the ship.

WOW,, I been there. best beach EVER.
I loved it, the water was perfect for a swim.

I have attached a couple pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewYork SanJuan 559.jpg (9.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg NewYork SanJuan 564.jpg (9.6 KB, 28 views)
S. Jersey near Philly
1,258 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by mmemichele
Darkwood beach is wonderful, but eat on the cruise ship because the restaurant has flies and I've never ventured into the restroom, I can't imagine it's very nice.

The beach though, it's fantastic, and the bus trip there is something like 2 dollars fifty cents U.S. each direction...as opposed to a taxi which will cost two people 32 dollars each way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Rob

Central Texas
5,681 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by davidnsteph
If you haven't been to English Harbor, it is definitely worth seeing. We've never seen anything like Nelson's dockyard elsewhere in the Caribbean. It is historically well preserved, and is truly unique.

DavidnSteph
Totally agree here - Take the excursion to English Harbor. We took the Princess Excursion that included the forts (batteries) on the hills overlooking, and there were great views from the heights, as well as English harbor / Lord Nelson's dockyard was fantastic. My wife, who is not a real big history buff when it comes to forts and such, had a great time there and her comment was that we didn't have enough time to see it all properly - it was the best historical site in the Caribbean.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next - Royal Princess in December
29 Cruises:..Caribbean (18x), Panama (3x), Mediterranean (2x), So. America, Transatlantic (2x), Europe, Alaska, Tahiti-Hawaii
Ships:...Grand Princess (6x), Caribbean Princess (6x), Emerald Princess (5x), Sun Princess (3x), Crown Princess (2x), Island Princess, Liberty of the Seas, Pacific Princess II, Royal Princess, Ryndam (HAL), Sea Princess, Star Princess
new york
1,427 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
MistyPA,

Come join our roll call we are 150 strong and have many great plans for shared private tours, dinners, trivia teams, a sail away party and a meet and greet. It's a really great group of people. Join us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=770082
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 23.25pt" height=31><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 23.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl22 height=31 width=64>Lenore</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The right shoes can change your life.---Cinderella

Dawn Princess, Alaska 2003
Star Princess, Mexican Riviera 2004
Dawn Princess, Southern Caribbean 2005
Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2005
Star Princess, Western Caribbean 2007
Noordam, Alaska 2007
Caribbean Princess NY-Bermuda 2008
Caribbean Princess San Juan-NY 2009
Island Princess- Full transit Panama Canal-2010
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2010
Caribbean Princess, New England 2011
Freedom of the Seas, Caribbean Christmas 2012
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2014
Island Princess- Pacific Coastal 2014
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2015
Emerald Princess, B2B, Caribbean 2016
Ontario, Canada
1,778 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
A seconder for Darkwood Beach. We thoroughly enjoyed the bus ride with the locals. Had a school teacher beside us that became an excellent tour guide for our ride. Roughly 20 minutes from the bus terminal and it drops you off right at the beach. Get there before noon as in the afternoon it got pretty crowded and no shade places available.

Originally posted by mmemichele
North Carolina
8,247 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Our group took a tour with "Lawrence of Antigua" and it was marvelous.. Visited all the highlights and he also offers beach option (which we didn't take). Small group (9 of us) and very personal service, very knowledgeable. Can't recommend highly enough..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caroline
E-mail: [email protected] (**Please put screen name and topic in the subject line of the email**)
"One can never have too many days at sea!"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/badges/
www.cruisecritic.com/newsletter
www.cruisecritic.co.uk/newsletter
www.independenttraveler.com/newsletter
Shanghai, PRC / Sete, France
3,899 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
When you exit the cruise ship pier in Antigua, and walk straight through town, you will notice a Body Shop on the right hand of the street. Directly next door is a bottle shop that has the biggest selection of Caribbean Rums I have ever seen.
A great shopping opportunity.
East Sussex, UK
1,446 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Where do you get the bus to go to the beach? What destination does it say on the bus? Thanks Kimberley
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC].
R.I.P Jess Christie-Sturges

First cruise 1988 and we survived hurricane Gilbert! 67 cruises to date. 601 nights at sea and many more to come.
Beautiful Cape Breton Island, Canada
311 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
My DW and I with two friends took the Gordon Tour, which was superb. HE took us to the main highlights and was very knowledgeable about the island!