Hitting a Roatan beach on a BUDGET

amandaepperson21

I've opted against the public bus. I'm hoping if DH and I wait an hour or so after most people leave the ship we can haggle a low cab price ($10pp round trip) to a beach. I'm a bit confused. There's west bay and west end.

West bay is where the best beaches are. I've heard mention of water taxis going there. Can you take a regular taxi? If so, how much is it approximately? Is it more expensive than getting to west end? I read that you can take a water taxi for 50 limperah (or however you spell their local currency) from near the port to west bay. Is this true? Where are these?

West end... there are beaches there, too, right??

I've read that taxis commonly wait while you're at the beach. Say they'll drop you off at 10:00am and sit there until you're ready to leave at 2:00. True?? I just don't want to ask for a round trip from a taxi and get left at the beach.

Are there any beach clubs at either of these areas (west bay and west end) where you can use their lounge chairs and shade so long as you are sipping their booze and eating their food? If so, can you please name a couple?

Thanks!!!!!!

West Bay is where the popular (and very large) beach is. West End is more of a funky little town that has a small (but never crowded) beach. West End has the bulk of the dive shops and more places to eat (at much better prices). You can snorkel at Half Moon Bay. Water Taxis will take you from West End to West Bay (anywhere from $2-5 pp, you have to bargain). West Bay is also walkable from West End, but it would be a long hot walk and I would bring bug spray (off with deet works best- the sand flys can be pesty on days without a breeze). You can get directly to West Bay by Taxi as well.

It's hard to make a recomendation because there is a huge variety. I haven't been this year and it always seems that there are lots of new places opening or closing. Most places post menus, and most places in West End are affordable. If they are open for lunch Mavis and Dixies or Lighthouse are good for seafood. If you want really cheap local food there are two balleada shacks. One next to Coconut Tree divers (little white shack) and a yellow one- both are good, cheap food (balleadas are like a flat burrito with a variety of fillings- meat or eggs, cheese, beans. There may also be pastillitos- kind of like an empanada, both places don't look like much but the food is cheap and good. There is a Mexican place- Cannibal Cafe that is good. The rotisserie chicken shack is very good, but I'm not sure if they are open at lunch. The Argentinian Grill is also very good, but I don't know if they are open for lunch either. Rudy's is famous for it's banana pancakes and smoothies. There was a good bakery last time I was down that made good sandwiches as well as a crazy English guy in a catering truck that made fabulous fish and chips. You can find something pretty easily in West End. Plus there are lots of little grocery stores for cold drinks and an ice cream. No need to change money, US currency is readily accepted pretty much everywhere

Name of the Game, here's a link to restaurants with descriptions.

http://www.roatanonline.com/dining.htm

There's otherinfo on the island here too.

Unfortunately, I hear that Mavis and Dixie's is closed. But it might have been a bit to "carib" for your listed tastes. Balleadas and pastillios are indeed the cheap way to go and still get good food.

• 1 month later...

I have been to both beaches....and they are both not near the pier...

the West End does have cheaper food...and cheaper souvenir hawking...West End sand is a golden color...

and it is a very small beach...

but the WEST BAY BEACH is far prettier...

with white sand....

IT is HUGE...

about the size of seven mile beach in Grand Cayman if you are familiar with that area...

If you walk down the beach

to the far left side of the bay...(the left while your facing the water...lol)

you can snorkel right from the beach if you bring your own snorkel....

Is this on the excursion through the ship? I'd like to go to a nice beach, snorkel with my 9 year old and since we have 3 kids I'd prefer to NOT pay $37 apiece for Tabyana! It cost us less to go to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel! And that had all our food/drinks INCLUDED! Charging $37 per kid is crazy!

SO -- are the cabs safe? can I get onto Tabyana without doing the cruise excursion? Is there a good way to take a cab and hit a beach with great snorkeling?

Is this on the excursion through the ship? I'd like to go to a nice beach, snorkel with my 9 year old and since we have 3 kids I'd prefer to NOT pay $37 apiece for Tabyana! It cost us less to go to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel! And that had all our food/drinks INCLUDED! Charging $37 per kid is crazy!

SO -- are the cabs safe? can I get onto Tabyana without doing the cruise excursion? Is there a good way to take a cab and hit a beach with great snorkeling?

if you negotiate right and find a taxi that's a van that can carry all of you, you could do round trip for everyone between $20 and $30 (not pp), with the same driver picking you up. Either West End or West Bay work. Check out these threads for reviews of the beaches that have bathroom facilities you can use without having to pay a day rate (which you will do at Mayan Princess, for example) and food/drink that is reasonably priced, Half Moon Bay area in that vicinity for example.

Tabanya is usually reserved for cruise ship excursions.

Archived