Venice St. Mark's and Doges reservation timing

stubbornoldowl

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find in a search the exact info I am looking for. We will be in overnight and sailing away at 2 pm on the second day. We are wanting to save the St. Mark's experience for this second day being a Monday. We want to make reservations but aren't sure how to time them. It looks like Doges Palace opens before St. Marks - so should we go there first and if so, how long should we plan to be there (not doing Secret tour - can reservations be made if we are doing on our own?) Trying to decide then what time to make reservation for St. Mark's and how long to expect to be there. Thanks for any ideas.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find in a search the exact info I am looking for. We will be in overnight and sailing away at 2 pm on the second day. We are wanting to save the St. Mark's experience for this second day being a Monday. We want to make reservations but aren't sure how to time them. It looks like Doges Palace opens before St. Marks - so should we go there first and if so, how long should we plan to be there (not doing Secret tour - can reservations be made if we are doing on our own?) Trying to decide then what time to make reservation for St. Mark's and how long to expect to be there. Thanks for any ideas.

Book your tour in advance http://www.tickitaly.com/galleries/doges-palace-venice-tour.php or have your hotel book it for you.

St. Mark's: If you are talking about the Basilica, http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/eng/index.bsm, it's open daily and you would just need 30 minutes. Don't forget to go to the top for views and to see the original horses. The ones outside are copies.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/venice-san-marco.htm

Monica

I called this morning for an English tour and was told I was too early (I need a reservation for Nov 2). Operator suggested calling 30 days in advance, but made it a point to say that may even be too early. By calling you avoid purchasing tickets which if you are delayed in any way are non refundable. When you call (and get reservation) you will be given a 'claim' number. Then just arrive and go to the head of the line, give your 'claim' number, pay and off you go. All of this I have been told by various boards.

When we were there in July, we did Doge's Palace on our own, but paid for a timed ticket for entry at 9 a.m. We also had a timed ticket (free) at St. Mark's for 11:25 p.m. We were a little rushed to get to St. Mark's, but we got off to a slow start because my daughter couldn't decide whether she wanted an audio tour. Otherwise, that timing was just about right for us. I'm sure you could do Doge's Palace in less time, depending on your interests (we spent a lot of time taking photographs). We used the Rick Steves' audio tour (a free download from his Web site) in St. Mark's, then went upstairs to the museum. I think we finished about 1 p.m.

Hope that helps.

Archived