"Ten Things Never To Do On A Cruise" - Good info!

HeatherInFlorida

This came up for me on AOL today and I thought it would be helpful especially for some who haven't cruised a lot. Most of us know this stuff, but a reminder doesn't hurt.

Never thought about the Bibles, though!!! They make special mention of HAL: http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/cruises/articles/ten-things-never-to-do-on-a-cruise?ncid=AOLCOMMtravdynlprim0593

What the.... is it me or are those just plain stupid? Who falls out of a cruise ship WINDOW? Does someone want to get back to me about how long Noro germs last on a BIBLE? Is there another object in a stateroom that is used LESS? No offense... but don't regular Bible readers tend to bring their own? And wouldn't bathroom surfaces be more likely to carry germs? YES- if I run into some Somali pirates I WON'T assume they are part of the show, ok? And do we have any statistics re: how many people decided to just stay in port and never get back on the ship?

Ridic.

No offense to Heather for posting this link! I love links. Thank you, Heather.

I'm with you Carla! Thank You Heather for the link and for the person who posted the working one.

I did note a couple of problems though with some of the info (not counting the typos :)) But one that really sticks in mind is:

Quote, "As for domestic and UK cruises, ships are obligated to wait for non-returning passengers and sometimes charge hefty fees to latecomers." Unquote

As far as I am aware, a domestic cruise ship does not have to wait for you. Has this or has this not been mentioned a few times here on the boards?? And have we not watched videos of people being left behind as we, the on time passengers, cheerily wave and say our goodbyes to them??

But, as for me, I will still read the bible over being caught on tape and laughed at by the crew doing something naughty with hubby in a spot that is not as hidden away as I thought!!!!:D

Joanie

Sort of tongue in cheek???

Somali pirates aren't going to take on naval vessels, unless they have a suicide wish. Remember naval vessels have, uh, BIG guns?

Not to offend any one, but I doubt the Bible in my cabin is the most commonly touched item onboard, and thus a great source of Norovirus. Fortunately most of the rest of the info on NV was pretty current. On the other hand, if you were confined to your cabin due to NV, violently ill and suffering mightily, perhaps the Bible would be something you sought.

Makes a big deal about sinking cruise ships, then says it doesn't happen often, then cites the ship at Santorini, which took 15 hours to sink. Of course everyone got off. 15 hours! At the general area of a harbor- not miles out to sea, away from rescue. And, as mentioned, Santorini would also be one of my top choices of location to abandon ship, if need be.

Got to be tongue in cheek, firmly!

No offense taken, Carla. Some of it really was a bit dumb, no question. Just thought overall there were some good hints for new cruisers. AOL has it as a huge headline!

Obviously the bible thing is just a sign that anything handled frequently can be a problem for Norovirus. Goes back to the old "keep washing your hands" thing!:D

I still feel badly I messed up with the link because people come on and that would be the first thing they do ... click the link in my OP without reading down to find the one that works.

Oh well ... guess I'm not perfect after all!!!!;):D .... who'd 'a thunk it?:)

They mentioned Bibles, but said nothing of the books in the library that get FAR more handling by more people than a cabin Bible.

Some common sense things ... but overall pretty lame, IMO.

Well, maybe when people are confined to their cabins with Noro they take out the Bible more than usual and pray to feel better!!!:D They might not be quite as apt to go into the library.

Seriously, I think the Bible reference was to get people to click on the link ... certainly worked for me:D!!! They had a picture of the Bible and said not to touch it. Couldn't pass that one up.

Lame to you, informational to others. Don't forget some of the simplest stuff to seasoned travellers like yourself may seem pretty lame, but not necessarily to the novice cruiser.

But I'll be honest ... I just read the titles and scanned the rest because I consider myself pretty informed when it comes to this stuff ... never even contemplated jumping out my cabin window:rolleyes:. I just posted it for informational purposes .... just a guideline and certainly not complete in any way.:)

No offense taken, Carla. Some of it really was a bit dumb, no question. Just thought overall there were some good hints for new cruisers. AOL has it as a huge headline!

Obviously the bible thing is just a sign that anything handled frequently can be a problem for Norovirus. Goes back to the old "keep washing your hands" thing!:D

I still feel badly I messed up with the link because people come on and that would be the first thing they do ... click the link in my OP without reading down to find the one that works.

Oh well ... guess I'm not perfect after all!!!!;):D .... who'd 'a thunk it?:)

Heather, whether we like to admit it or not, we all make mistakes!! I do not think what you posted was a big one!! You definitely got everyone interested and even had people searching the 'net' to find the correct one.

Heck, you even got our attention to what the basic message is about... SAFETY!!

Thank you for the post!!

Joanie

........... As for domestic and UK cruises, ships are obligated to wait for non-returning passengers and sometimes charge hefty fees to latecomers.......................

Wonder where they got that from? If I'm on a Canada/NE cruise with a stop in Boston and decide to go out on the town on my own in an attempt to locate S7S, get held hostage in the Cheers Bar, and don't make it back to the dam ship until 8:00 pm when "all aboard" is at 7:00 pm, that ship will be long gone

Sort of tongue in cheek???

Somali pirates aren't going to take on naval vessels, unless they have a suicide wish. Remember naval vessels have, uh, BIG guns?................

"Though Somali pirates, who generally operate in small bands, usually choosemore modest targets (like less populated naval ships)",

Ship+Photo+F+802+De+Zeven+Provincien.jpg

"Here pirates, here pirates"

Archived