"Ten Things Never To Do On A Cruise" - Good info!

HeatherInFlorida

........... As for domestic and UK cruises, ships are obligated to wait for non-returning passengers and sometimes charge hefty fees to latecomers.......................

Wonder where they got that from? If I'm on a Canada/NE cruise with a stop in Boston and decide to go out on the town on my own in an attempt to locate S7S, get held hostage in the Cheers Bar, and don't make it back to the dam ship until 8:00 pm when "all aboard" is at 7:00 pm, that ship will be long gone

How can I get "held hostage" at Cheers?:confused::confused:

Great to know for a land vacation or cruise from Boston, so many say get there a day early!

Love your next post, exacrly what I was thinking when I read the AOL "tips".

I think a LOT of CCers like us pick up the Bible ... just long enough to riffle through, checking for unfinished drink cards left by other CCers! ;)

Actually, when I saw the headline this was the first thing I thought of!!!:D Drink cards covered with Noro ... LOL!!!

I posted the list of "tips" that copper posted in #33, back around #12-13, but it got removed. :mad:

That's weird!!! I wonder why? Oh!! I'll bet quoting an article without referencing the writer is a no-no and against CC guidelines. Copper's will likely be removed too.

Always fascinated with feature writers who will come up with anything to fill websites, and blank pages of newspapters. No doubt the author of this silly piece will show up on Oprah.

Now I'm wriinging by hands. I'd best not open the owners manual that came with my new vehicle.

1. Bribe the Captain to hold the ship while you plan to return late from an island bar.

2. Try to date the Front Office ladies by bringing them drinks.

3. Complain to the GRM about every tiny little thing and demand that HAL compensate you with another cruise.

4. Get good & drunk, then run through the dining room on formal night dressed for a toga party, shouting "food fight!"

5. Pull a fire alarm box and say, "Ha, ha; just kidding. I wanted to see how long it would take you to show up."

6. Heckle the comedian with way-off-color jokes.

7. Swim in the kids' pool nude.

8. Sneak into the CD's office while s/he is making announcements and shout obscenities.

9. Dive off the sliding roof panels into the inside pool.

10. Start a rumor that the entire dining crew has the H1N1 virus.

... I wonder why? Oh!! I'll bet quoting an article without referencing the writer is a no-no and against CC guidelines...

Per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership:

Copyright Infringements

The posting of large blocks of text obtained from the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. You may LINK via url to the information.

However, Cruise Line press releases are welcome on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

Therefore, the posts on this thread containing large blocks of text covered by copyright must be removed.

Since it is impossible for the hosts/moderators and administration to see every post as they are posted, please help us if you see any violations of the Guidelines. Click the Report Post red triangle icon report.gif in the upper right corner on the post you want to report so the Report Post screen will open. Type your message in the message text box, then click the Send Report button. This will generate an e-mail to all hosts/moderators assigned to the forum, or all administrators if there are no hosts/moderators assigned. The e-mail will automatically show the forum name, your user name & e-mail address, post title & link, thread title & link as well as your message. Your request will be reviewed. One of the hosts/moderators assigned to the forum or administrators will try to help when they can.

I say "when they can" because all e-mails and Report Post e-mails to Cruise Critic are answered in order of receipt. With 485,402 members as I type this reply and e-mails being received 24/7, please be patient for any reply or action.

082502btw_prv.gif, the http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/cruises/articles/ten-things-never-to-do-on-a-cruise?ncid=AOLCOMMtravdynlprim0593 link works for me and hopefully for you too.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to all!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Actually, I sailed on the Ryndam after it was Code Red, and there were no bibles aboard at all because they'd had to remove all of them, and they didn't have time/stock to replace them yet. So I think the real danger is that someone sick in your room during your cruise might infect you, but if you're in the cabin with them already, I think touching the same Bible is the least of your concerns.

Anyway, it never ceases to amaze me how people will take a completely random occurrence and then say it "always" happens this way.

Per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership:

Copyright Infringements

The posting of large blocks of text obtained from the Internet' date=' online newspapers, web sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. You may LINK via url to the information. [/color']

However, Cruise Line press releases are welcome on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

Therefore, the posts on this thread containing large blocks of text covered by copyright must be removed.

Since it is impossible for the hosts/moderators and administration to see every post as they are posted, please help us if you see any violations of the Guidelines. Click the Report Post red triangle icon report.gif in the upper right corner on the post you want to report so the Report Post screen will open. Type your message in the message text box, then click the Send Report button. This will generate an e-mail to all hosts/moderators assigned to the forum, or all administrators if there are no hosts/moderators assigned. The e-mail will automatically show the forum name, your user name & e-mail address, post title & link, thread title & link as well as your message. Your request will be reviewed. One of the hosts/moderators assigned to the forum or administrators will try to help when they can.

I say "when they can" because all e-mails and Report Post e-mails to Cruise Critic are answered in order of receipt. With 485,402 members as I type this reply and e-mails being received 24/7, please be patient for any reply or action.

082502btw_prv.gif, the http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/cruises/articles/ten-things-never-to-do-on-a-cruise?ncid=AOLCOMMtravdynlprim0593 link works for me and hopefully for you too.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to all!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

It is helpful Kat and thank you for the clarification. I will remember them for sure:) Also the link you give is working perfectly, Again thank you!

Joanie

Heather thank you for posting the link to the article & KAT thanks for correcting it..

As Heather mentioned we all probably know most of those rules, but it never dawned on me to not use the Bible & as Jim mentions, perhaps we should be very careful when handling the library books..

However, unless we all stay home, never cruise or never touch anything including cart handles in supermarkets & door handles in bathrooms some of us are going to become ill on ships..

Our Hospital distributed info which said that Tamaflu will not kill the virus or cure you if you get the swine flu..But it might lessen your symptoms & help you feel better a day or so earlier...

Of course we all know we should wash our hands frequently & not touch our faces..

I received an e-mail last night which was distributed in a Friends Church...Apparently there are several ALLMS Doctors in India which suggest further precautions a healthy person can take in order to avoid the H1N1 Virus.. This is what the e-mail said:

Quote Tamiflu does not kill but prevents H1N1 from further proliferation till the virus limits itself in about 1-2 weeks (its natural cycle). H1N1, like other Influenza A viruses, only infects the upper respiratory tract and proliferates (only) there. The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/ throat.

In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible not to come into contact with H1N1in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps--not fully highlighted in most official communications--can be practiced (instead of focusing on N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptation to touch any part of one's face (unless you want to eat or bathe.)

3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt).

H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation.

In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventive measure.

4. (Similar to 3 above) Clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. Not everybody may be good at this, but blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.

5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (including citrus fruits). If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that they also have Zinc/bioflavonoids to boost absorption.

6. Drink warm liquids as much as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm. All these are simple preventive tools, within the means of most households, and certainly convenient. Unquote

I think some of these suggestions make sense..

Have decided to get some vitamine C, with zinc, eat lots of fruits & vegies, gargle with Listerine & drink plenty of warm liquids...Not sure I can clean my my nostrils with salt water though...:eek: Hope the rest of the suggestions will keep us healthy..

Betty

Cleaning the nose with salt water is simple with a nasal irrigation kit.

Quite inexpensive and available in drugstores. I have to use it every day for post nasal drip. I get a steward in the Lido to get me a salt shaker and use that to make up the solution. Or you can buy the individual packets that have premeasured amounts and are light to pack.

On our last cruise we took echinacea (brand name is shiver and 2 letters of the alphabet :)) and used the nasal rinse every day and never did get the bad virus that about half the pax got.

The original link worked fine for me.

Yes, the thread's first post made yesterday at 04:29 PM was edited today at 11:03 AM with a corrected link. Note the Last Edited by... message at the bottom of the post.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

Yes' date=' the thread's first post made yesterday at 04:29 PM was edited today at 11:03 AM with a corrected link. Note the [i']Last Edited by...[/i] message at the bottom of the post.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

Host Kat, just being nosy! Are you taking Host Walt and/or Joe's place or are you just visiting/moving through?

Archived