terrified! if u've been on Los Veranos Canopy Tour, plz take a look at this pic

utopia

could ppl that have been on this tour let me know if this pic is accurate of the height participants on the tour will experience? it looks terrifying to ME, and i'm not usually afraid of heights.

the link is below. as soon as the site loads, there's a slideshow on the left side. the second picture in the slideshow is of a man w/ short brown hair, in a red t-shirt and blue pants flying high above what looks like MOUNTAINS! it looks insanely high. [www.canopytours-vallarta.com]

someone said it could be a pic of costa rica or just the angle of the pic that makes it look so high up...i'd like to know what any former participants think...

thx for any feedback~ i'm shaking in my socks until the day comes...

Utopia,

I go next week. If I survive I will tell you all about it. I was terrified

when I parasailed so I'm sure this will be scary too. My boyfriend is

the adventuresome one. I would be happy just going and waiting

at the lodge for them to return but noooooo I have to do it too.

When do you go? What ship are you on?

Cat Girl

CAT GIRL,

thx! yes, plz do let me know all the gruesome details when you get back! i don't leave until feb 12 on the diamond princess. i'm also going w/ my bf...

so parasailing must be higher up than this tour, right?

after parasailing, did you get that satisfied and proud feeling that comes after accomplishing something scary?

When I did the parasailing I ended up closing my eyes and saying to

myself "you can do this, you can do this, just breathe, you can do this."

Did I feel a sense of accomplishment? Now that I think about it, no.

I think I was too scared. I'm glad I did it. It confirms my suspicion

that I never want to try parachuting. Some of the pictures from the

previous poster look fun. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open

for this excursion. I'll give a full review when I get back.

Cat Girl

The Princess and I (44 and 56 respectively) went on the tour in early December. You are definitely "up there" but it's not nearly as "bad" as it looks in that particular photo. She and some others were a bit apprehensive but everyone loved it. One girl "balked" on the first slide but finally said "the hell with it" and went - by the end of the tour she was ready to do it again. It's fun, safe, fun, just a bit scary, fun and a great way to spend a morning. The only downside was that you have to walk uphill to get to the lines but I suppose an escalator is out of the question. From what I heard, it was better than the "other" canopy tour but I can't say that from experience. Oh yeah, you also have to walk about 25 feet from the end of the last line to get to the bar - you'd think they could set it up so you rode right to your barstool.

One hint to consider - they have a photographer who takes a pretty good hi-res photo of you on one of the first lines that you can see on their laptop screen and buy a print of if you want at the end of the tour. I think they ask about $8 for the pic. We didn't want to carry the photos around all day (and for the rest of the trip) and ruin them so we paid them a few bucks and got them to download them onto the chip from my camera. You can then either print them yourself or have them done when you get home (also gets you exactly the size you want).

OBTW, if you have time later in the day, go to Barcelona for a drink and some tapas. It's great rooftop restaurant (specializing in tapas) on Ave de 31 Octobre, 5 or 6 blocks up from the Malecon, with terrific food and an awesome view over the rooftops and the bay. Great place to spend a couple of hours relaxing.

Excellent post about the canopy tour, and I loved your input about Barcelona Tapas, my favorite restaurant in Vallarta! But just to clarify it is about 3 blocks up from the Malecon.... 5 or 6 blocks on 31 de Octubre is my apartment! (I am a good cook, but not that good!)

could ppl that have been on this tour let me know if this pic is accurate of the height participants on the tour will experience? it looks terrifying to ME, and i'm not usually afraid of heights.

the link is below. as soon as the site loads, there's a slideshow on the left side. the second picture in the slideshow is of a man w/ short brown hair, in a red t-shirt and blue pants flying high above what looks like MOUNTAINS! it looks insanely high. [www.canopytours-vallarta.com]

someone said it could be a pic of costa rica or just the angle of the pic that makes it look so high up...i'd like to know what any former participants think...

thx for any feedback~ i'm shaking in my socks until the day comes...

On a separate thread regarding this trip, it was stated by someone who actually had already gone on this canopy tour that it reaches a height of 450 feet, and that the longest zip line is 1000 feet long. I have to say I'm really nervous too, and would LOVE to know if anybody has had a negative experience with the canopy tours.

the journalist that wrote the article from the link i posted above states a measurement that is half that height.

"The highest one takes you 60 meters above the rushing, boulder-strewn Tomatlan River." = about 200 feet.

plus, i've read other articles stating as high as 225 feet.

i don't have something to compare to, so that still doesn't do much for giving me an idea.

I am here to simply add my own anxiety to this thread!! I am not great with heights at all. I have only heard rave reviews about this canopy tour so I am game to try. Our cruise begins this Sat. 1/8 and we will be in Puerto Vallarta on Thurs of next week. I will promise to post my impression of this activity. The last long zip I have read is nearly 3 football fields long! AAGGHH ! Everyone wish me luck and bravery as I step off that first platform! Marilyn :)

I am here to simply add my own anxiety to this thread!! I am not great with heights at all. I have only heard rave reviews about this canopy tour so I am game to try. Our cruise begins this Sat. 1/8 and we will be in Puerto Vallarta on Thurs of next week. I will promise to post my impression of this activity. The last long zip I have read is nearly 3 football fields long! AAGGHH ! Everyone wish me luck and bravery as I step off that first platform! Marilyn :)

You go, girl!!! I can't wait to hear about your experience. Everyone who goes raves about it, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'll be thinking about you next Thursday as you swing through (or should I say over) the trees. :D

I will be doing the tour on Thursday, also. I'm in the 11:00 tour.

What time are you going? If we are at the same time we can cheer

each other on. I'm on the Vision leaving out of LA on Sunday.

Good luck,

Anita aka Cat Girl

That's great! I already have a partner in crime. We go to Cabo San

Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerta Vallarta. We're doing Randi's Happy

Horses in Mazatlan. We have nothing planned in Cabo. What are

your stops.

I'll see you on Thusday.

Cat Girl

Cat girl it sounds like we are on reverse itinerarys. We go to Acapulco, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta and then Cabo San Lucas. You'll have to tell me how you like Royal Caribbean. I am a relatively new travel agent and I hope to go on that cruise line soon. I have their Mexico brochure and it looks like you get to PV at 8am where as we are scheduled to arrive at 9am. I have heard that there have been issues with other cruise lines taking the NCL dock space and making NCL tender. I am not sure how many ships can dock there but hopefully at least 2 since we are listed as docking there. Are you supposed to dock or tender in? Marilyn

then DH and I went on those for our HM. They were scary at first, but it's so much fun. The highest we were was 150 feet up. After the first two times, I felt very secure. Plus, the guides go out before you, so it must be safe.

I'm very afraid of heights, and had doubts I could do it up until i went on the first zip line. My son was very scared, but I told him if I could do it so could he. My daughter (his twin) went first among our family, then my son, followed by me and my husband. I knew I had to do it both for my son's sake and my own. What convinced me I could do it was a woman in her 60's that I met just before we got the equipment on, who had just finished the tour. She was smiling and said it was the greatest thing. I figured if she could do it, so could I.

Anyway, it was terrific--I really enjoyed it (well, at least I enjoyed the zip lines--the walks up the steps were tiring) and my son was begging to do it all over again. The restaurant there was very good, by the way. Really fresh seafood.

Archived