GWoman8920

My husband thinks I'm crazy but...

Packing is part of the whole experience. I am 6 mos out but have my suitcase in the spare bed room and stuff piling up as I collect it. I may add and take away 100x before we leave but it will all be there.

My DH also thinks I am crazy but he is very thankful when he doesn't have to spend shore time buying sox..LOL:p

It's starting to get colder here in the great midwest, and therefore time to put up all the summer clothes.

We cruise in November. Do you think it's crazy to go ahead and start packing? I would rather begin putting outfits in the suitcases instead of packing them up in storage tubs, and then draggin out the storage tubs in 30 days.

For those of you that travel in the winter, to summer clothes destinations, do you think I'm crazy, or practical! (ok, ok, I will admit that cruising in 40 days has me very excited and I want to pack, but isn't there also practicality as well? :D)

OK thanks!

I see where you are coming from. When I used to live up north, it was a drag to have to pack summer clothes away. I absolutely hated that chore. Now that I live in Florida I keep all of my clothes including what few "winter" items I have in my closet together. I don't think you are crazy. If it were me, I'd pack whatever I plan to take on the cruise in my suitcase and pack the rest away for the winter. I would do so carefully and in such a way that it will be easy for me to double check that I haven't forgotten anything when it comes time to pack my suitcase with everything else. Have fun packing and anticipating your trip!

It's starting to get colder here in the great midwest, and therefore time to put up all the summer clothes.

We cruise in November. Do you think it's crazy to go ahead and start packing? I would rather begin putting outfits in the suitcases instead of packing them up in storage tubs, and then draggin out the storage tubs in 30 days.

For those of you that travel in the winter, to summer clothes destinations, do you think I'm crazy, or practical! (ok, ok, I will admit that cruising in 40 days has me very excited and I want to pack, but isn't there also practicality as well? :D)

OK thanks!

I am a married man, I am taking your husbands side on this just because us males need to stick together. So if your husband thinks you are crazy who am I to argue with him:D

I'm in Ohio and today the high temp was only 57 degrees (too cold in my mind). My fall clothes are coming out and as my summer clothes are being put away, I'm keeping my favorite clothes hanging in the back of my closet. This way they are neat until it's time to pack and I remember what I like to wear the most. Hopefully though, this cruise diet I am on will make all these clothes useless! :-0

Wow...maybe I am the crazy one...I don't have enough clothes to pack away summer clothes vs. winter clothes for the season. It all just hangs there in the closet...and depending on the season, I pull from different sides of the closet. :D Some of the summer clothes I layer for winter time, too!

Have fun with it and Happy Cruising!

I get that too sometimes, but when you live in a two bedroom apartment, and one closet is used for storage, and you have to share a closet with your husband who has a lot of clothes because you like to shop for him, we have to pack away things according to the season! :D

I see where you are coming from. When I used to live up north, it was a drag to have to pack summer clothes away. I absolutely hated that chore. Now that I live in Florida I keep all of my clothes including what few "winter" items I have in my closet together. I don't think you are crazy. If it were me, I'd pack whatever I plan to take on the cruise in my suitcase and pack the rest away for the winter. I would do so carefully and in such a way that it will be easy for me to double check that I haven't forgotten anything when it comes time to pack my suitcase with everything else. Have fun packing and anticipating your trip!

We're thinking about moving to Florida, then I can get RID of all my winter clothes. If there weren't so many people that could use them here, I would probably burn them in celebration!:D

I am a married man, I am taking your husbands side on this just because us males need to stick together. So if your husband thinks you are crazy who am I to argue with him:D

My husband says thank you for taking his side. :rolleyes: I thank you for making me laugh my rear end off!! :D

One of the many joys of being an empty nester is that I never have to put away summer/winter clothes. I have 5 closets, 3 dresser and 3 chest of drawers to put clothes in. I use one closet and dresser just for my suitcases and cruise stuff.

Edited by bonniemari

In our walk in closet, we have room on the floor underneath the rail that our clothes hang on.. our suitcases are there now stored away... I have actually been putting the kids clothes in there for our December cruise! We are getting chilly fast here in CT and instead of putting them in totes to just pull them out, when stuff comes out of the wash that I know I will pack, in it goes!

Why make double work for yourself?? Don't put everything in storage bins - put cruise stuff in your suitcases. By the time you are ready to really pack for the cruise you will just need to go through what is there and either add to or take away. Our darling husbands, for the most part, have no idea the logistics we women go through to make sure our families have as good a time as possible. The planning, the preparation, the obsessing...:p where would we be without all of it? Have fun - anticipation makes the trip all the more rewarding.

Shoot - we have over a year to go and I already have a bin out with "stuff" I 'm finding to bring along. Like many of the op's I have a section of my closet reserved for cruise clothes - although now that ( have lost over 60 lbs, I do have to go shopping - darn! Check out our Miracle Maniac B2B official Cruise thread as we are planning tons of stuff to do - several of us have cruised together and this is kind of a reunion cruise for us. So I am collecting all kinds of things - not just clothers. But back to the original - pack what you need and then store the rest. Happy sailing!!

I always lay everything on the bed in the spare room a month or two before the cruise and I will add to that or take away what I don't want. Then the night before the cruise I throw it all in the suitcase. This also helps so that I dont forget anything.

you've got to store them somewhere so it might as well be in the suitcase. if your husband is like mine, you'll be the one packing anyway so do it the way you want to. we cruise in a little over five weeks and i've been buying travel size items and keeping them in a bag special for the trip. it's still in the 80s here in south georgia so we're still in shorts. i'll have to wait and pack a day or so before we leave. tell him to leave you alone!!!:p

OK thanks!

Oh, my husband thinks the same thing about me!! although our cruise isn't untill February, i still am going to put things away in the suitcase as I do every year that I am putting summer clothes away!! Go for it, this makes it more exciting:)

The cruise is in January, as it gets cooler, or as clothing is getting delivered, I have been putting them in a drawer in the guest(cat's) room. That way all I have to do is throw the stuff in a suitcase. and I'm done. Crazy? No.:p

We're also cruining in November and up here in NJ, it's suddenly gotten chilly and damp. I don't see the kids wearing their shorts again until our trip (and definitely not bathing suits and water shirts) so I might start pulling that stuff together. Trouble for me is we don't have the space to lay out the suitcases for another month (I have someone come clean once a month and she'll be here the week before we go, so I have to get everything up and away for her), plus DH is not coming, so to ask him to go up into the attic to take down the suitcases for me now is kind of not nice.

I have been cleaning out the boys' dressers so I think I'll be able to neatly keep their summer clothes in the drawers until about a week or so before hand, then will pull them out. We're only doing a 3 night with a night in Cocoa Beach beforehand, so we don't need as much as usual. I'm more concerned with all the important papers (had a nightmare the other night that we were at the airport with no passports or other identification, all the cruise docs were home, stuck with no ID...scary!!!).

I think if you have the space, start laying stuff out that you want to bring, rather than packing in boxes and forgetting what is in which and having to open them all up again (hate that!!).

[quote name='GWoman8920']I get that too sometimes, but when you live in a two bedroom apartment, and one closet is used for storage, and you have to share a closet with your husband who has a lot of clothes because you like to shop for him, we have to pack away things according to the season! :D[/QUOTE]I know a woman who cruises so often, she has an entire closet JUST for cruise-wear! She just washes them, hangs them up, & re-packs when the time comes (including shoes & accessories)!

[quote name='BaseballMomof4']We live in Florida so we don't have to pack away our clothes :D but if I did have to, I would either find a place like a guest room or a spare closet to hang them or I would put them in the suitcases just not to have to go searching for something later. :p

Have Fun! We cruise in December and will probably need our jackets :eek:[/quote]

I'm a first time cruiser (Halloween out of Galveston) but in Texas, summer clothes stay out all year round. Even in February, there are days when shorts and a tank top are needed!
We leave Dallas 4 weeks from today, and I'm already on vacation mentally. It's all I can do to keep from starting to pack right now, but I have to wear some of those clothes in between now and then!

[quote name='GWoman8920']It's starting to get colder here in the great midwest, and therefore time to put up all the summer clothes.

OK thanks![/quote]

I vote practical!! I 100% plan to do the same thing & I don't cruise until February. I'll just have to doublecheck before I go to make sure that my 6 year old daughter didn't grow out of anything I set aside for her. :eek: I also read a tip somewhere on these boards that layering the clothes with tissue paper will cut down on the wrinkles, so I plan to try that too.

[quote name='bookworm82']Sounds like a great idea to me...When I have a cruise booked, I keep a tote in the corner of my bedroom and whenever I find something that I know I will need for the cruise and not use in the meantime, I throw it in there...That way I'm not as apt to forget to pack something important..So it makes perfect sense to me to start packing instead of putting away.....And besides, packing is part of the fun and ritual....

Darla[/quote]

I do that too! I have sunscreen, bug spray, etc. in my tote already!

Of course, my husband thinks I'm crazy too... :o:o

We dont cruise until December,but my suitcase for bathing suits,cover ups and flip flpos is packed. I kept 2 of each out as it is still warm enough here to go to the beach(went yesterday).I am also sorting out and packing my husbands stuff a little at a time.

I don't think you're crazy at all. I'll be putting away our summer stuff any minute now, and I have already started segregating the clothing I know we'll be taking with us on our next cruise -- IN FEBRUARY! It makes no sense to put it away only to dig it out again (from bins in the attic) in a couple of months. The suitcases won't come out until the week before, but by that time, I'll have almost everything for my two DDs and myself put aside. Yes, DH thinks I'm a little kooky with my advanced preparations, but I hate leaving anything until the last minute. He on the other hand packs (for himself only) the night before we leave and really only has to show up at the front door the next day when I lock up and we strike off for the airport. Oh, the life!:rolleyes: Happy cruising!:D

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]I say go for packing....but its better to just buy all new stuff for your vacation!!! ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='GWoman8920']It's starting to get colder here in the great midwest, and therefore time to put up all the summer clothes.

OK thanks![/quote][SIZE=4][COLOR=SeaGreen]
I am packed and my suitcase is at my sisters in Oregon where I will meet up with her for a Feb 2010 Dream Cruise. This way I don't have to pay for checked bags for at least one flight. So I packed 8 months before my cruise.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

OK thanks![/quote]

I don't think you are crazy at all. We will be cruising in a couple weeks. When we return from that cruise I plan on washing everything and packing it right back into the suitcases. We will be crauising again in April. Here in NY it's unlikely that we'll need any warm weather clothing that early. It will make the next cruise so much easier!