Noro (GI) - Xpedition veterans

Kami's pal

Thrpy,

Any links to photos of your Galapagos trip? Would love to compare how the wildlife and adventure changes with the seasons. 65 employees and 72 passengers is a great ratio... The ship holds 98-100 passengers, so yours was a soft sailing.

We were on Xpedition in September, and the ship was at capacity during our week. We did, unfortunately, have about 20 sick passengers with what sounds like the GI illness described on this board. Everyone was told by the male doctor on board that it originated in Quito, and we believed him. My partner was quite unwell for 3 or 4 days. She was still ill when we returned and finally was diagnosed with Hepatitis (food borne), but there is no way to know when or where it was contracted since we both travel extensively for work. We also stopped for cocktails & snacks in a local establishment on Santa Cruz.

So this GI thing started before October as previously recorded. If I read this board correctly, there were significant outbreaks in September, October, and November, and a major outbreak in January. No reported illness in December or February. Sounds like a pattern.

Perhaps the GI illness has run its course since no one has been ill for the last few weeks. That is excellent news. I am disappointed to read your report that Celebrity is taking no noticeable precautions to prevent illness other than to include a hand sanitizer for passengers returning from shore excursions.

Suggest future passengers add Hep A & B vaccines as well as the Cipro, Pepto & Immodium regime.

Thrpy,

My partner was quite unwell for 3 or 4 days. She was still ill when we returned and finally was diagnosed with Hepatitis (food borne), but there is no way to know when or where it was contracted since we both travel extensively for work. We also stopped for cocktails & snacks in a local establishment on Santa Cruz.

So this GI thing started before October as previously recorded. If I read this board correctly, there were significant outbreaks in September, October, and November, and a major outbreak in January. No reported illness in December or February. Sounds like a pattern.

Suggest future passengers add Hep A & B vaccines as well as the Cipro, Pepto & Immodium regime.

Hmm. I have hep A immunization, so I think I can safely say that it wasn't hepatitis A that felled me. That seems a most do-able precaution for everyone. I am sorry to hear that not much has changed on the surface about sanitation efforts. After my canversation with Mr. Sheehan I really was confident that noticeable changes were imminent.

John, how exactly did your doctor prescribe the use of Cipro? My doctor is so very adamant that I should not use it UNLESS I get sick, have a high fever or see blood. Your partner's doctor seems to follow that route too.

Kami,

My doctor prescribed the Cipro with the stern warning not to take it unless the ship's doctor ok's it, which implies that I am sick and need treatment. I have carried this type of antibiotic in the past on mountaineering expeditions where I had to be my own doctor. Luckily I never used any of it and threw it away when out-dated.

Almost packed and ready to go.

John

John,

That's what I had too. I had a filled 10 day prescription of Cipro but only with firm understanding that I would use it with a doctor's supervision, or under dire conditions (i.e. no doctor, and/or explicitly described symptoms). So when I asked the doctor on Xpedition if I should use it and he said no, I didn't. However, according to Thrpy (recent poster), it seems that the doctor is prescribing Cipro on Xpedition. That makes me wonder if they finally have more certain knowledge about what was going around on Xpedition. Apparently, the Cipro worked, and the afflicted passenger was good to go within a day. I suspect that Thrpy wasn't privy to all the passengers' health conditions, (though extra aware because of this board), so likely doctor treated a few others for similar symptoms. So what made him change his mind?

It is so frustrating to not have any indication that 'people on high' are doing anything more than a few placating words in a telephone conversation, and adding a hand-washing station on aft deck for those returning from towns. I used my alcohol wipes vigourously in town and in the zodiac coming back as I was leery of what might be lurking in those relatively isolated towns. Since I got ill on Thursday night, perhaps I did pick it up in town, or Darwin Station stop. Did they find something there? Unlikely only one factor. Those who got ill early in the trip hadn't been to town yet. So maybe the doctor is routinely prescribing Cipro to all, and for some that is the correct answer.

BTW, I checked in on cruisemates board to read their reader review on Xpedition. That reviewer said that diving is not yet available. Before you pack and lug all that equipment, you might want to check out whether you'll really be able to use it.

Hi Kami,

Hopefully Celebrity admin. is working behind the scenes. Those hand wipe stations on the Summit, last Summer, did not prevent me from getting something really nasty that quaranteened me in the stateroom. At least in Alaska, I had a great view from my balcony. My poor mom got it also and barfed all over the room.

The Mammoth Ski Resort in the Sierras and the town itself knew their water supply had big problems, so everone frequently got sick that drank the local water. I bet they still have not fixed it. At least there, one could go home where in the Galapagos we get to stay till the end.

Luckily my big heavy underwater camera works just as well at snorkel depth and with sking diving, so it goes. I can shoot extra wide close up shots of the animals within inches of the lens. As I hear there is a local dive operator servicing several vessels in the area, if I have to, I will ask for a private charter for just me, and others can join. I need to take my own fins as they are a special type that does not cramp my legs allowing me maximum water time.

I did take out my 3 mil dive suit and will just take a full 1 mil dive skin that I will wear under the ship's shorty 3 mil.

My only other heavy items are my 500 mm, 300 mm and 70-200 mm lenses. I still would really like to take my small travel telescope for those wonderful Southern skies. After all, I am an astronomer, and the stars are part of the total scene. Does not sound like I will getting much sleep this trip.

John

John, check out these websites for local diving conditions in Galapagos and general information. You may be able to arrange a diving trip through this tour group in Galapagos. My brother was unable to dive when he was on Xpedition in November because there was no Dive Master among the crew and they were unable to organize a diving trip up for him. Things may be different now that more divers are inquiring.

Hope this helps.. have a WONDERFUL time & we all want to see your pictures when you return!!!

I'm sure Roland would not mind if you email him for current diving conditions & diving info. He responds quickly.

www.galapaguide.com

info@galapaguide.com

http://www.galapaguide.com/diving_conditions.html

Thankyou CruiserJen for the links. I am researching them now. I started researching photo albums on the net of groups of people and professional photographers that have visited the islands.

I will be upgrading my boots one notch in width of footprint and ankle stability because I have to carry a heavy camera and lens.

The pros are also warning about carrying your cameras in a water proofed bag as a slip is possible wading in from the Zodiacs. I will use dry bags from Magellan and a couple of large trash bags getting my cargo ashore.

I will be leaving my 500 mm lens at home as it is just too heavy to carry on a rocky trail. The pros concur to take a zoom lens of around 70-300 mm and a wide angle zoom of 17-35 mm. The animals do not move so you can often get up to inches from them. The lenses should be able to focus up close. Zoom lenes are prefered as you have to stay on the trail and things often happen too fast to be changing fixed focal-length lenses.

John

Cover them in the zodiac too. I remember writing this in my other thread but it's long gone. There are sometimes unexpected splashes that can soak your camera. The guides will tell you to protect your camera. When they say that, be prepared to cover it quickly. It means they've spotted a wave, or are planning an manoeuvre that could swamp cameras. I had only a little point and shoot which fit into a zip lock sandwich bag inside my waist pack. I did see one woman's expensive looking camera dripping salt water because she tried to cover it merely by folding it inside the hem of her t-shirt.

My brother told me that while they were waiting for the zodiac to complete boarding and take off from a shore excursion, a huge wave came in unexpectedly and crashed on their backs soaking everyone on the zodiac. He had his camera in a waterproofed backpack so it was okay, but some people had their digital cameras in their hands.

John, hurry and go so we can see all those great pictures when you return!!!

Some of us are still living vicariously...

Jen

iOne can easily obsess about illness on a trip...but the reality is that you can get sick in any city or cruise ship in the world. If you have a heart problem on board a ship, you are in serious trouble...they don't do stent implants on board any ship I know. A kidney stone will make you wish you were dead. If getting a gastro intestinal virus could hurt you seriously, then you probably should plan trips to avoid all cruise ships and stay only in highly affluent western nations where there is excellent medical expertise available. Going to the Galapagos, a safari in Kenya, visting the antartica are areas where you can easily have more medical problems....and certainly more risk of complications.

I was on the 10/24 xPedition sailing. Celebrity noticably tried to maintain a high level of sanitation. Does that mean that everyone washed their hands after using the bathroom? Did everyone use the towelettes they gave out to clean their hands when coming back on board? You are at the mercy of the weakest link...the other passengers. And yes, the kitchen folks probably do perspire into the food....you have to deal with reality, not what you want to think happens. Don't ever go in the kitchen of your favorite local restaurant when they are busy...you will never go back again. Could Celebrity do more...of course. Do you sanitize the door knob to your home when a delivery person opens your door?

This is an outstanding cruise experience and Celebrity does the Galapagos better than anyone else. There are other big ships including the old Renaissance R-3 doing the Galapagos. I would bet on Celebrity's sanitation over all the other boats. Is the Galapagos cruise for everyone....no. You have to decide. Don't underestimate the risks of altitude sickness in Quito...it's a real disease and can be very serious.

If you are worried about the xPedition, then you should absolutely cancel...you are going to get on board and start to look for problems and I know you'll find something that you think they could do better. That's not a fun trip. If you believe that Lindblad and Seaborne are "safer", then pay the price and sail on those boats...but the reality is they are just the same as the xPedition as far as sanitation and illness risks.

Life is too short to spend it worrying about getting sick. Enjoy the rare experiences while you can...and believe me, the xPedition cruise is one of those rare experiences.

Answers to some questions: I did not see any diving weights...you do float very well in those wet suits...so you might want to bring your own (hopefully, TAME will continue to ignore the 30 pound rule). Bring your own goggle defogger...none on board. Since we're talking sickness here, you should probably bring your own snorkel...that's just a normal precaution) even though celebrity does disinfect theirs.

Some pictures at: http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=uhyxg2v.2440tqyj&x=0&y=bqnlqh

Kami and CruiserJen, I ran down to the camera shop and bought a nice waterproof backpack made by LowePro which even has an extra water cover that pulls over the Pack. It has a great shoulder strap and hip support system to nicely carry the load. My outfit weighs 25 pounds so that is much lighter than those 50-80 mountaineering packs that I use to hump. I achieved a big weight savings by selecting this new pack which will allow me to leave the big rolling camera case at home which has a steel frame and is heavy.

For the Zodiac shooting, I will have my dive camera in its water-proof housing, so I will be prepared at all times.

One day to go!

John

John, the camera bag sounds wonderful. Who knows, you may end up using it instead of the other rolling case on future expeditions. I remember how excited I was. In fact, despite the "Galapagos Gallop" I wish I were going again. I missed 2 whole days! Plus, you are going at almost the exact opposite season from my trip (first week of November). There are bound to be a few different animals and animals' behaviours now.

Do I remember correctly that you can't take Pepto? I ask because the prophylactic dose starts 48 hours before you enter the new environment, so you should be doing that now.

You've done so much to prepare for this. I'm praying that you have a wonderful, full 8 days of exploring this magical place, in the luxurious comfort that we expect from an outfit like Celebrity. Hope you find your masks in the artists' village in middle of Earth park, have some dives and lots of snorkelling, great hikes and see the southern stars.

Did you look at ghstudio's pictures? They are great. Must see. Will really whet your appetite for the adventure. I'm going to boast that I did get some of the same quality too with my point and shoot (Panasonic with zoom). Most of the animals do pose for you, even the albatross! I took 8 rapid exposures, but I did get that shot too. :D They bird just kept circling until I got it. You can see from the shot of the turtle that the need for no flash and zoom is important. Imagine how blind the animals would be if everyone used a flash. Those 'stones' take up the path, just that way. Not to mention the harder boulders that force short legged people like me to clamber with a stick over them.

You know we will be thinking of you and waiting impatiently for you to post.

Those pictures were all taken with a Panasonic FX-20 camera with a 12x stabilized Leica lens (so the camera doesn't shake even at 12x). I took zero flash pictures. Excellent camera for this trip...but not a small pocket digital camera. For $600 it's a steal.

Take plenty of film or plenty of space to store your digital pictures. I took over 1200 pictures during the week (with only about 10 that were truly poor). I took a small computer with me just so I could edit the pictures each day (good vs backup) and store the pictures on a hard disk. I normally take about 3 36 exposure 35mm rolls of film, so that gives you a view of how much more film you're going to need in the Galapagos.

Enjoy the trip John....I have no last minute suggestions. I did a review on this site which you can read under the ship name which gives a couple of suggestions. We happened to be on the xPedition during a full exclipse. Turns out those guides know a fair amount about astronomy as well as the ecology of the Galapagos. We were all on the top deck looking at the stars that night.

Archived