Seasick anyone? First time cruise...!

nalaqueentwo

Hi, this will be my first cruise at the end of October. I'm worried about getting sea sick. I usually do fine on smaller boat vessels (if the waters are not horrifically choppy) but have been told over and over about getting my 'sea legs" so I was wondering what the best option for preventing seasickness would be for me. Any ideas...patch, bonine, giner?

Thanks

Hi, this will be my first cruise at the end of October. I'm worried about getting sea sick. I usually do fine on smaller boat vessels (if the waters are not horrifically choppy) but have been told over and over about getting my 'sea legs" so I was wondering what the best option for preventing seasickness would be for me. Any ideas...patch, bonine, giner?

Thanks

I'm just the opposite. On a small boat (especially charter fishing boats with their diesel and dead fish smells) I can get a little queasy at times. I've never had a problem on a cruise ship and I've been in some big seas. I think if you're OK on a small boat you'll be just fine on a cruise ship.

Try taking one Bonine at night just before bedtime and you will be fine. You might want to start a couple of nights before you leave, take them during your cruise and also a couple of nights when you return home (to help prevent the sealegs)

I have done this for years and have had no problem.....

Just returned from a few rough sea days in Alaska. Had three first time cruisers with me and they started feeling sick. They used the sea bands and said the sick feeling went away immediately. I am prone to motion sickness so I take medication every time.

I take sea bands, bonine, dramamine, etc. with me. I also have the electronic Relief Band which is very good. I sometimes don't use anything but I always have it. I have given them to several of our travelling companions and they are always grateful that I had it. One time I loaned my Relief Band to our friend, (a guy) when we had 12-16 foot swells. So my advice would be "Be prepared, just in case!" It doesn't take up much room and it cost sooooo much more on the ship if you need it.

This will be my first cruise and though I was raised on ocean going vessels a lot smaller than this ship and have never been sea sick,I'm taking Quells just in case. Better safe than sorry and hugging a bucket.

I NEVER expected to be sea sick as I almost literally grew up on the water. However, I was very sick on my first cruise. If you start to feel sick, just go to the guest relations desk and they will give you some packets of tablets. Once I take them, no more problems! I've tried other remedies and ended up feeling tired or having other side effects. The ship's pills work for me every time.

I usually wear the seasickness patch, but don't really recommend them unless you know you get really sea sick. The side effects are actually worse than being sea sick, I think. When we go on our next cruise, I plan to try the bands and/or bonine. Definitely bring something with you if you think you'll be sick, but I think it's really only a small percentage of people that get sick. I get migraines and I think that makes me more prone to seasickness.

I take sea bands, bonine, dramamine, etc. with me. I also have the electronic Relief Band which is very good. I sometimes don't use anything but I always have it. I have given them to several of our travelling companions and they are always grateful that I had it. One time I loaned my Relief Band to our friend, (a guy) when we had 12-16 foot swells. So my advice would be "Be prepared, just in case!" It doesn't take up much room and it cost sooooo much more on the ship if you need it.

I like the idea of the sea electrontic band you mentioned but its $129-wow! Theres 3 of us so it will be to much $$$. I rather not have to take meds but i guess we will. I hope to find something safe for dd(10) that wont cause drowsiness. It there a generic brand for less money?

I usually wear the seasickness patch, but don't really recommend them unless you know you get really sea sick. The side effects are actually worse than being sea sick, I think. When we go on our next cruise, I plan to try the bands and/or bonine. Definitely bring something with you if you think you'll be sick, but I think it's really only a small percentage of people that get sick. I get migraines and I think that makes me more prone to seasickness.

I don't think the scopolamine patch is that big of a deal but some people react to scopolamine.

We found that purchasing scopolamine from a compounding pharmacy where they put it in a gel placed in a syringe (of course no needle). You put the gel on your inner wrist and rub in. That way you can wean yourself on the amount used as time goes along as that is typically the biggest issue when people have reactions is when they go "cold turkey".

But to address the OP's concern, most people have no problems and even though it is in the back of everyone's mind, most people rarely get sick. On my last cruise it was the roughest I've been on and no issues.

I see where someone with migraines would be subject to it, most people are not, as it turned out back when I actually found the motion soothing.

seabands- one size fits all or is there a childs size?

I have highblood pressure and idnt even think about the meds affecting it- thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Now some say Bonnie others say Daramine which cause less drowsiness? Is it better to take before bed or 1st thing in the morning?

While I've never been seasick (except in small boats like other posters), I take a bottle of ginger tablets with me. If I see the barf bags hanging on the railings around the ship, I take one in the am and one in the pm whether I need it or not. When my small boys were with us, I gave them one every morning and evening whether they needed them or not. To be honest, they didn't have any problems with motion sickness in the car or elsewhere but ginger tablets aren't going to hurt anyone.

I, also, travel with Bonine (get the generic brand, your pharmacist will direct you to it, it is a lot cheaper), sea bands, even nausea medicine left over from other prescriptons and never had to bring them out.

Tucker in Texas

Here is a piece of advice from a crew member - - if you are feeling queasy on the ship, DO NOT drink fluids. They slosh around in your stomach and make you feel worse. I was drinking diet coke at the time (as I was afraid to eat), and sure enough, once I quit drinking for a couple of hours, I felt much better. Who knew?

Here is a piece of advice from a crew member - - if you are feeling queasy on the ship, DO NOT drink fluids. They slosh around in your stomach and make you feel worse. I was drinking diet coke at the time (as I was afraid to eat), and sure enough, once I quit drinking for a couple of hours, I felt much better. Who knew?

While I don't disagree, I remember when I was a little girl that mommy used to give me ginger ale and saltines to settle an upset tummy (lol)

Tucker in Texas

Archived