Kicked in the teeth by the Upgrade Fairy

martinimadam

And/or a dream of a pax not dressed to code on formal night (wife beater/t-shirt/shorts ordering a Wang Wang in the Ocean Bar!);)

Not when I'm aboard ship. I only dream/have nightmares about such when I'm anticipating a cruise, not when I'm on one.

we were in cabin 312 on the maasdam a few years ago and we loved it. I think you may likr the LP deck more than you think you will. sure, it was an obstructed view room, but not by a lifeboat, and we could see sea and sun just by looking left or right. a few steps to the outside door, and a whole deck of chairs just waiting. For the short time we were in our room during the day we enjoyed watching the walkers, and at night we just pulled our curtains. we did not experience any noise, but some motion, as we sailed out of Norfolk, Va-but the rest of the shiip did also. we actually requested a room in the same area for our following cruise, but they were all booked. you will be fine. enjoy!!

I would call your TA every day and remind her that you are still interested in trying to change your cabin. Even on a full ship, changes happen all the time. I'm sure the TA doesn't want to be bothered calling HAL but you have paid good money for your vacation and should be happy. You really have to be more aggressive.

Even if you don't get anywhere, at least you tried.

This is not a "vent". Already did that on my roll call (sorry gang!). I'm actually just looking for any suggestions some of you more frequent cruisers might have. Here's the story:

I waited too late to make my reservations, so this is all on me I admit. Only OV cabins left (Maasdam) were on the Lower Promenade (which I don't like because of noise and night time privacy issues) or very far forward on the ship (which I didn't want because of motion and bow thruster issues). So I booked an EE guarantee (first and last time for that!). Got my cabin assignment yesterday. It's a DD. Sound like a nice upgrade? Wrong! It's DD 306. Take a look at the deck plan. On the Lower Promenade (which I didn't want) further forward on the ship than any EE, F, or FF for that matter and, to top it off, it has a partially obstructed view!!! So, here I am with a worse cabin than the ones I didn't want in the first place. Can't see any seasoned cruiser booking these cabins at a DD rate, not even an FF rate! Probably why they were available and I got one. Especially galling since I have over 60 days with HAL, most of them on the Maasdam.

The ship is now full, so TA can't do much of anything. My question to any of you who have been in this situation, or know your away around these types of dilemmas better than I: Is there anything I can do? Does HAL have a wait list I could get on in case of unexpected cancellations? I'd take a "downgrade" to an F or FF, just to get an unobstructed view nearer the center of the ship. Should I start my efforts to change at the pier when I check in? Follow up with the Hotel Manager once aboard? Any other ideas? Don't think HAL will talk to me directly right now since I used a TA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I'm doing deep breathing exercises, dreaming of my first martini onboard, and definitely won't let this ruin the trip. Just want to try to make it a little better.

I personally like FF and don't mind being forward. Booked an FF twice. First time no upgrade. Second time upgraded to BA [wow]. Booked FF guarantee and got upgraded to E791. That cabin stunk. Woke up every morning at 6:30 to the sound of breaking and smashing of glass. Assumed there was a recycling depot below. In this cas I had asked my TA to inform HAL I did not want an upgrade to anything on Upper Prom. On 2 other cruises I booked outside guarantee and got C. Don't uderstand why these cabins are more expensive than A and Main decks. This year I'm booked in a G cabin on the Oosterdam and am hoping they don't upgrade me to Main which offers more expensive cabins. Seems to me it's a crap shoot whether you book a specific cabin or guarantee. Good Luck and try to enjoy your cruise.

Archived