Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

garykool81

Zuiderdam: New Photos!

Hey, folks --

Just returned from a week aboard Zuiderdam in December, and wanted to share a large number of interior shots I took onboard:

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php/view/Zuiderdam_001/

There are several pages worth of images, so the easiest way to view them is by clicking the "View Slideshow" button on the left hand side that cycles through them all quickly.

Enjoy!

Hi Gary -

What a wonderful presentation. It makes me really look forward to our cruise on Nov 26. Thank you for taking the time to post this. I am fairly new to this site, and appreciate everything I have read and seen.

Thanks again!

Elizabeth

Gary - You must be a professional. I noticed that there were not people in any of the shots. Did you run everyone out of the rooms or did you have a VIP pass? The pics are great. Thanks for sharing them.

Incredible pictures every thing nice neat and tidy. When did you take these pictures middle of the night?

Gary - You must be a professional. I noticed that there were not people in any of the shots. Did you run everyone out of the rooms or did you have a VIP pass?

Ah, yes. The age old question I am asked with every set of cruise photos that I take.

My answer -- allow yourself to enjoy the wonders of being up past midnight hehe. You'll find that most ships are easily photographed anytime after 11:30PM in most cases, where the vast majority of passengers have returned to their cabin for the evening. The remaining few tend to be held to smaller public spaces such as the disco, etc.

If you really want a rather eerie feeling, try to wake up around 2AM one night (perhaps on a cruise that is less port-intensive where you have some more free time) and walk around any cruise ship. You feel as if you are on a ghost ship...not a single passenger, crew member, etc. in sight....just the black sea.

Anyways -- thanks for the kudos, and glad everyone enjoyed the shots! :-)

Hi Gary,

These really are wonderful photos. Thank you so much for sharing!

Steve

GARY I just returned from the Zuiderdam as well and your photos are great- I will say thst with a full plus holiday sailing I was ale to spend more than 3 or 4 daylight hours practically alone on the ship- People tend to congregate in certain places but i haad "the ship amost to myself" for a good apart of each day- and of course after midnite. What luxury!

Gary--

Great photos - thanks for posting!

I do the same thing as you - after the "last dance" I tend to wander the decks, champagne glass in hand, exploring all the empty spaces and enjoying the blackness and solitude of a night at sea...

Great photo's, Thanks for taking the time to post them.

We will be on the Zuiderdam in April, those pictures will make the wait a little harder!!!

Wow these are amazing shots. It sure incites me to book a new cruise soon and visit her .

Josée

Gary--

Great photos - thanks for posting!

I do the same thing as you - after the "last dance" I tend to wander the decks, champagne glass in hand, exploring all the empty spaces and enjoying the blackness and solitude of a night at sea...

Geez I must be getting old ... I consider my last walk around the ship at night *AS* my "last dance" - HAHA! ... Then it's off to bed ! ;)

Steve

Great pix! Now, how was the cruise? Marilyn

Not the best, but also not the worst. I'll be posting a quite extensive review on the boards in the coming hours.

Great Pics.. I'm sailing Nov 26th 05.. and I can't wait.. I have only been on one other cruise which was Sept 04 and it was with Carnival so I can't wait :)

May I ask what camera you used to take these? We are considering a new camera, and would be interested to know.

Thanks for the kudos. The camera used for the photos was a Canon Digital Rebel, which is a mid-range, digital SLR camera.

With a lense included, they run about $999, but are WELL worth it if you take plenty of photos like myslelf :-)

I really enjoyed your pictures. My husband and I were on the Zuiderdam in August and it was fun to revisit the ship again through your pictures especially since our high temerature today isn't supposed to get above zero. I wish I was back there! We have nothing but good to say about our week on HAL.

Beautiful photos. The Zui is one possibility for our next cruise. I have to say that the unrelenting vibrant red/orange/yellow color scheme began to make me feel jumpy. Perhaps the color was intensified because of the lighting at night?

I have to say that the unrelenting vibrant red/orange/yellow color scheme began to make me feel jumpy. Perhaps the color was intensified because of the lighting at night?

If you think they are bright colors in the photos, wait until you see it in person...the lense does not capture the absolute color spectrum of this ship. Wasn't my favorite ship, but not the worst either...I am sure you will have a good time.

You can read the review I linked to earlier in this post for an extensive 10-page column of my thoughts on Zuiderdam.