Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

When DH was 62, he was told that we'd have to relocate to another area.

We had to do some serious thinking, having moved all over the north of England in his career.

As I'd hit 60, my teacher's pension and Old Age pension were due to start. Could we live on that, and his less than full one- he'd only got 27 yrs, and had 3 before his OAP clicked in. What if one of us died? Was there enough left to run a home, a car etc?

In the end, we took the risk, and bought a small terrace house on the sea front- not imposing, but easily warmed and cleaned, and views to die for.

Once you're 60, all prescriptions and eye tests are free, plus there's free bus transport, swimming etc.

We eat local, seasonal food, and someone has lent us part of a vast garden to grow veg. We have a station nearby, with 1/3 off for the aged!- the car is used quite rarely.

There's a flourishing University of the 3rd age in the villages- we even run one of the groups - and lots of trips off.

And- as soon as he retired, the job offers came in- a month here, 6 months there, just filling in, but enough to indulge in our cruises.

It's a whole mind change, but we manage to have a happier and healthier life than before. Think it through carefully; decide what's important- and go for it!- jocap.

• 4 weeks later...

I always remember an associate who retired a year before I did.... when I asked him as my impending retirement date neared..... what was the best thing he liked about retirement.

His answer was: The thing he liked best was every day is Saturday. :D

My 62nd birthday and retirement date are the same! What better way to celebrate than with a cruise? After almost 40 years of working 50-60 hour weeks, I've decided to hang it up. My wife is a few years younger and will continue to work full time so I'll have plenty of time to plan our future cruises. My countdown clock serves a dual purpose. We can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...

As so many people said, you'll know when you're ready to retire! Our state offered an early retirement incentive in 2002 and I was just eligible, but..... I wasn't quite ready. Everyone was sure they'd offer it the next year too so I didn't go. then the retirement system starting losing money and no more incentives came along. Finally in August 2007 I had my 30 years and at 60 could go. I gave a full year's notice (small office and I was in charge). I love it!!! I volunteer driving a medical transport van once a week, work at my church, read, spend time with grandkids and just do whatever I want. My younger daughter did a fun 30 day countdown with small gifts each day beginning a month before the actual date. DH had retired 14 years before but works several part time "puttering" jobs. We travel now when we want. Wish everyone could be so lucky.:)

After reading more of this retirement thread, and reflecting upon my life this past year having past a full 365 days as a retired person, I find that most of the truly happy folks I know are also retired! Go figure. Sure hope most of you contributors to this thread who have stated your pending plans to join our ranks are still on track and looking forward to a totally awesome adventure. Good luck!

Husband retired from teaching 2 1/2 yrs ago and not regretted a day! I will retire after 40 yrs in nursing 9/22/10. Can't wait! Have always worked part time,enough to maintain health insurance. Will take our 4th cruise this year on the full transit of Panama Canal a few months before Sept. Yep, I'm marking off the days on a calendar!!!:):):)

Started the countdown on January 1, 2010!

Ahhhh....I can feel the tension slipping away!

Kathy

Kathy,

That is great to be within 1 year of retirement

I love your attitude about feeling the tension slipping away.

This will help me to think more positively as I anxiously await my target date.

Annette

He's being forced into retirement. If he doesn't go now, he'll actually lose retirement income. Besides, he HATES (not a strong enough word) his job, so it's all the reason he needed. He's got 40 work days left. He's not counting, but I am. Can't wait for him to get out of there! I'll continue to work for a few more years.

It's scary because he's still going to need to find another job, and in this economy . . . well . . .

But no matter what happens to us after January 15, it's gotta be better than what he goes into every day now.

And to celebrate, we're taking a barefoot cruise in early February! It's something he's always wanted to do, and darn it, he's earned it.

(This is the first time I've been on the 55+ forum. I think I may like this place. I'll have to do some more poking around.)

January 15th :)

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Enjoy your cruise in February.

I will be retiring on jan 15, 2010 and I am already counting the days. I was actually thinking of putting a count down clock on here so I can count the months, days hours, minutes and seconds til I walk out the door for the last time. This will be the last time the County is offering lifetime health benefits. It was funny when they posted my position (within hours of my putting in my paper work) I had emails asking me if I knew my job was posted. I am so ready to retire, even though I love what I do, it will be fun.

January 15th :)

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone close to retirement? :)

When do you start counting the days?

Hubby and I both have countdowns on our Facebook pages - yes I know, sad! - counting down to the first date we could technically retire.

His is 255 days away - October this year - he's really, really, keen to retire as soon as we can afford it :)

Mine is still 1422 days away - December 2013. But, I've been telling people at work that I'm going to have to keep working so we can keep cruising, and that I'll probably still be there when I'm ninety. :D

Good thing I love my job and they seem to like me :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have worked most of my married life. Then 5 years ago, at the age of 53 my husband got viral encephilitis from shingles and almost a year later prostate cancer. He had neurological problems from the encephitlitis so he had to go on disablity. I continued to work. I hope to retire in about 5 years. I need to work to have health insurance, to get my pension, and so that we can continue doing all the things we do. My husband did not have a pension. I am a teacher so I have time off. Three years ago we discovered cruising and love it.

• 2 weeks later...

We decided we wanted to retire at 55 so about 5 years prior we really started the planning to make that happen. It almost didn't due to the economy but in August (6 months after 55) of last year we took the leap...not as much money as we'd hoped for in the boom days, but we think it is enough for our purposes.

We retired from the same company on the same day. It was so exciting to move forward with life and we are loving retirement! As someone mentioned it is great to have every day be Saturday!

I retired from teaching in Texas six years ago and have not regretted it one bit. I don't think I could put up with what today's teachers have to do. Even more GOVERNMENT intervention now than when I taught! Hubby retired in September 2009 and is slowly getting used to it. We are blessed and will travel as long as we can. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My retirement countdown started around age 30. Meaning that I knew I needed to develop a good saving/investing plan and learn how to do it. I wanted to retire in my early 50s.

We learned about no load mutual fund investing and contributed as much as we could to our retirement plans.

We opened up traditional IRAs and put money in them. We also paid extra on our mortgage each month and paid off a 30 year mortgage in 17 years.

With these savings plans and a pension I was able to reach my goal and retire before my 51st birthday. My wife retired at age 55.

To be debt free at retirement is the most important factor IMO.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

kkbay - I also retired 6 yrs ago from local school district. Me in 04 and DH in 06. Love retirement!! I do sub a little, but only for special people and if I am available. I like choosing when to work. DH traveled all his working career so he enjoys being at home with yard work and his garden. We love doing what we want when we want!!

Anyone close to retirement? :)

When do you start counting the days?

yes, early retirement December 30 2010 and counting each morning:).

Golf handicap the main taget, then our Latin and Ballroom techniques plus walking in the Dales and Lakes along with walking our Daughters dog.

Wow forgot the cruising !!!!!!

Bring it on

Keep smiling:cool:

I finally made the decision to retire Dec.1, 2010.

I have been thinking about it for a while now.

Finally told my boss yesterday. Now I can start the

countdown.:)

I am ready to go where I want, when I want.

Work in my yard or just sit and relax with a glass of wine.

I finally made the decision to retire Dec.1, 2010.

I have been thinking about it for a while now.

Finally told my boss yesterday. Now I can start the

countdown.:)

I am ready to go where I want, when I want.

Work in my yard or just sit and relax with a glass of wine.

Congrats on the decision. I have been retired since Sept 2000 and do not

regret taking a buy-out package at age 54. Tomorrow is my B-Day and I

will be 64. Being a Type A personality, it only took me a few months to

settle down. DH retired at age 53 and he just turned 65.

Looking forward to our 12th cruise, we are sailing the Baltics on the Star Princess

on June 11, 2010. Have Fun..

Congrats on the decision. I have been retired since Sept 2000 and do not

regret taking a buy-out package at age 54. Tomorrow is my B-Day and I

will be 64. Being a Type A personality, it only took me a few months to

settle down. DH retired at age 53 and he just turned 65.

Looking forward to our 12th cruise, we are sailing the Baltics on the Star Princess

on June 11, 2010. Have Fun..

Thanks, Shellyc

Happy birthday a little late. I may be crawling the walls after a

month or two but I think I will find plenty to do. I want to cruise

more but my problem is finding someone to travel with. I am a

widow and I have a friend I travel with sometimes but she

is not in good health. I just don't know about cruising alone.