Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Congratulations to all retirees. My last day of work was Monday. Have enjoyed these days. Will need to get practice with having my days to do as I please. Have several projects planned before my husband and I take a transatlantic cruise. Too all enjoy your days.:)

It's getting closer...

19 more shifts for me (after 30+ years in law enforcement) and 24 shifts for DH (after 36 years with the school district). We both turned our paperwork in last week.

Congratulations Mike and Deb. Another 12 hump days and I'll be joining the ranks too.

Thanks for the congrats! Y'all are real close, looking back it wasn't that long ago. Enjoy your countdowns and all that comes with it.

Congratulations to the new retirees!!

Thanks!

Congratulations to all retirees. My last day of work was Monday. Have enjoyed these days. Will need to get practice with having my days to do as I please. Have several projects planned before my husband and I take a transatlantic cruise. Too all enjoy your days.:)

WhooHoo, another one this week! Congrats to you too!

For those of you who are/were "teachers," and have/are retiring, I say CONGRATULATIONS to you. :) I say anyone that has/is a teacher, especially now days, I will give them a lot of credit.

Awweee....Thank you! I really liked teaching the kids. I have taught 6th, 7th, 2nd, and Kindergarten. Seeing kids learn was the greatest. The best was seeing the young ones start to learn to read and see the "light bulb go off in their head" when they realized they could read. Truely amazing!!!

I will miss that but not everything else!!!

Deb

For those of you who are/were "teachers," and have/are retiring, I say CONGRATULATIONS to you. :) I say anyone that has/is a teacher, especially now days, I will give them a lot of credit.

Thanks! Today, I am halfway through my 35th (and final) year of teaching middle school students. I am still semi-sane (I think!). I love working with teens, and will miss them, but will not miss the politics.

Heather

Thanks! Today, I am halfway through my 35th (and final) year of teaching middle school students. I am still semi-sane (I think!). I love working with teens, and will miss them, but will not miss the politics.

Heather

I understand exactly what you are talking about and those "politics" have only gotten worse in the last 4 or 5 years. At least you are super close to retirement!!! :)

Deb

Things got crazy at my work the last 5 years or so. I started counting at 1000 days left. After I had made the decision to go, time flew. I retired this last May 31st. My wife followed me two months later the end of July.

We are really enjoying ourselves and done a few road trips. Now we are looking forward to getting back into cruising.

We now have a wall clock that tells us which day it is cause sometimes they just run together. :D

Life is good:cool:

Things got crazy at my work the last 5 years or so. I started counting at 1000 days left. After I had made the decision to go, time flew. I retired this last May 31st. My wife followed me two months later the end of July.

We are really enjoying ourselves and done a few road trips. Now we are looking forward to getting back into cruising.

We now have a wall clock that tells us which day it is cause sometimes they just run together. :D

Life is good:cool:

Awesome!!!!

Deb

I am in my 34th year of teaching and plan on working for another 4 years. I work in a private school so the politics are not so overwhelming. My partner is young (24) with a couple of years of teaching but she is great. I love teaching esp. this year when I got a smart board (a wonderful invention). Hope my granddaughter will come to my school in another year.

I've been "lurking" on this thread for a couple of months now, but didn't want to post until I knew for sure when my retirement date would be. I gave my boss notice yesterday that May 5th will be my last day. The very next day, we leave for Boston and then go on a cruise to Bermuda to celebrate, although my DH may end up working for two more weeks after we get back from the cruise. It hasn't quite sunk in yet that I've given notice. It was wonderful and yet also sad. I've worked with my boss for over 25 years. I must admit that I cried a few times yesterday. 13 more hump days for me.

Congratulations to all of you who are already retired and those of us who are winding down. Yay!

I am in my 34th year of teaching and plan on working for another 4 years. I work in a private school so the politics are not so overwhelming. My partner is young (24) with a couple of years of teaching but she is great. I love teaching esp. this year when I got a smart board (a wonderful invention). Hope my granddaughter will come to my school in another year.

That would be great if your granddaughter would go to school there. It is nice that they live close to you.

Deb

LOVE the Hump Day celebrations! It's so great to finally know my number and to celebrate each week's countdown. Thank you! By the way, the sadness I felt that day that I gave notice has dissipated already and I am back to 100% happiness! :D

Been so bloody busy I missed the last couple of hump days! Day 15 of retirement and not regretting it a bit. Been in contact with a couple of coworkers who are deep in the bowels of legislative session. Not missing those 12-15 hour work days for 150 straight days every other year!!!

Congrats to those who are in countdown mode. Counting down the hump days made it go quicker and was a lot of fun sharing with y'all.

Been so bloody busy I missed the last couple of hump days! Day 15 of retirement and not regretting it a bit. Been in contact with a couple of coworkers who are deep in the bowels of legislative session. Not missing those 12-15 hour work days for 150 straight days every other year!!!

Congrats to those who are in countdown mode. Counting down the hump days made it go quicker and was a lot of fun sharing with y'all.

Heeeeyyyyy....slowdown..you are RETIRED...that sounds so good..lol. I'm not missing work at all either. Going to New Orleans in a couple of weeks, then a couple weeks more, a cruise. I do have a "to do" list that is 2 pages long but not even concerned about it..lol:).

Deb

I "semi retired" eighteen months ago and now work 2 days a week. I've just given notice and will fully retire on 31st March (don't like the increasing bureaucracy and politics) I won't have any trouble filling my days, but am absolutely dreading that last day, seeing my last patient and knowing that never again will I be a nurse. I'm getting quite teary even thinking about it. How did you all cope with similar feelings?

I "semi retired" eighteen months ago and now work 2 days a week. I've just given notice and will fully retire on 31st March (don't like the increasing bureaucracy and politics) I won't have any trouble filling my days, but am absolutely dreading that last day, seeing my last patient and knowing that never again will I be a nurse. I'm getting quite teary even thinking about it. How did you all cope with similar feelings?

I was a teacher and thought I would miss the kids. I did at first, but all is good. Seriously, would not go back and I have just been retired 3 weeks. Life is good!!!

Deb