Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

My advice to anyone retiring is to take a year to decide what you want to join and do. Don't jump in to too much too soon. I speak from experience.

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I don't want to do a whole lot when I retire. Seeing grandkids more, relaxing, and of course more cruises to look forward to. I'm not an A type personality...more like a C or D type....lol

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I don't want to do a whole lot when I retire. Seeing grandkids more, relaxing, and of course more cruises to look forward to. I'm not an A type personality...more like a C or D type....lol

I like your plan but it's easy to get hooked into something. Stand your ground.

Edited by Kentskie

18 weeks, 4 and a bit working days. Started counting at around 15 months before, when a colleague retired.

Plan to start my retirement in style, I retire officially on 31 December, and at 10 pm that night I fly out, business class to New Zealand for a family wedding.

Plan to celebrate my retirement and New Years simultaneously at the bar on the Emirates A380, drinking champagne!

If you gotta do it, do it in style!

18 weeks, 4 and a bit working days. Started counting at around 15 months before, when a colleague retired.

Plan to start my retirement in style, I retire officially on 31 December, and at 10 pm that night I fly out, business class to New Zealand for a family wedding.

Plan to celebrate my retirement and New Years simultaneously at the bar on the Emirates A380, drinking champagne!

If you gotta do it, do it in style!

I agree. When I retired DW and I celebrated with champagne when it was time for the final bell to ring. I'm now in the process of retiring from retirement. :confused:

June 30th 2015!!! And yes I'm counting, I work in the Prison system in Texas!!!!

NEXT CRUISES

11/4/2013 Carnival Triumph

10/31/2013 Carnival Triumph

PAST CRUISES

4/15/2013 Carnival Elation

12/9/2012 Mariner of Sea

3/22/2012 Carnival Triumph

1/30/2012 Carnival Triumph

2/28/2011 Carnival Ecstasy

12/5/2010 CarnivalConquest

1/23/2010 Carnival Ecstasy

10/12/2008 Carnival Conquest

That's when we take the World Cruise. Waiting for itineraries to be posted and then choose the one with most places we haven't been!

We probably won't do a world cruise..DH isn't much for other cultures, but I hope to make a destination bucket list and start a savings fund for that! 9 years 5 months and 18 days! ( Will probably work a few days a month to fund some of the travel :D)

Well I'll give you CREDIT for being a teacher. I wouldn't want to be one in this day and time. There are about 4 in our family that teach, as well and in our church there are teachers, and principals. I find if parents and children were like the "used to be" years ago, things would go along much better in class rooms and homes. I know it is hard to get finance for schools, etc, which makes it hard also.

I am still working at 70 and love my job, and plan to maybe retire next year from a very well know corporation that I work for. I have been in the hospital 6 times within these past two years, and the "insurance" really comes in handy for my being off.

Well I'll give you CREDIT for being a teacher. I wouldn't want to be one in this day and time. There are about 4 in our family that teach, as well and in our church there are teachers, and principals. I find if parents and children were like the "used to be" years ago, things would go along much better in class rooms and homes. I know it is hard to get finance for schools, etc, which makes it hard also.

I am still working at 70 and love my job, and plan to maybe retire next year from a very well know corporation that I work for. I have been in the hospital 6 times within these past two years, and the "insurance" really comes in handy for my being off.

Thanks. Today's climate in education is difficult. In my job I deal with student teachers and classroom teachers. The classroom teachers are becoming more and more demoralized. It's a tough job and people don't realize how hard it is.

Edited by Kentskie

Thanks. Today's climate in education is difficult. In my job I deal with student teachers and classroom teachers. The classroom teachers are becoming more and more demoralized. It's a tough job and people don't realize how hard it is.

I'm one of those demoralized teachers. I took a half year sabbatical this past year just to recoup, but I'm back at it. Kids are great, our parents are great, great but very stressed out faculty. Many excellent teachers have quit and gone to other jobs. Last year was the biggest retirement rate ever. They are now having to hire uncertified teachers. The top superintendent of our state is expecting miracles! He just sent an email to us saying he would be visiting us at school...big whoop.

I'm just counting my days, doing the best I can at school, and cruising when I can!!

Edited by zlacruising

I'm one of those demoralized teachers. I took a half year sabbatical this past year just to recoup, but I'm back at it. Kids are great, our parents are great, great but very stressed out faculty. Many excellent teachers have quit and gone to other jobs. Last year was the biggest retirement rate ever. They are now having to hire uncertified teachers. The top superintendent of our state is expecting miracles! He just sent an email to us saying he would be visiting us at school...big whoop.

I'm just counting my days, doing the best I can at school, and cruising when I can!!

I feel for you. The expectations for teachers and students are unrealistic. The pacing calendars leave no time to reteach anything. Teachers are frustrated as are students and real learning is getting lost in all the test prep. There is even a term for things that students learn for the test but aren't expected to retain: brittle knowledge. Authentic learning and discovery are so vital and should be nurtured and encouraged. Creativity and thinking should be rewarded. In today's world those skills are especially needed. OK I'll get down off my soapbox now.

I feel for you. The expectations for teachers and students are unrealistic. The pacing calendars leave no time to reteach anything. Teachers are frustrated as are students and real learning is getting lost in all the test prep. There is even a term for things that students learn for the test but aren't expected to retain: brittle knowledge. Authentic learning and discovery are so vital and should be nurtured and encouraged. Creativity and thinking should be rewarded. In today's world those skills are especially needed. OK I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Brittle knowledge...that is a new term I haven't heard of yet, but it makes sense.

My husband has his work computer counting down to retirement. It's at something like 2 years, 10 months, 15 days, 6 hours. To say he can't wait to retire is putting it mildly! Every few days he'll text me his "number" and I always respond with the days til our next cruise.:)

DH and I both retired from the education system soon after our government decided that standardized testing was the way to go. DH left in December '99, and I packed it in in June '00. Thirteen years later and I look and feel about 20 years younger. Never went back and although I missed the kids for a couple of years, when I heard those still teaching talk about helicopter parents and lack of respect for adults, that too ended.

We have been able to spend our winters in the southern USA, take a couple of cruises a year, spend tie in Europe and enjoy our grandchildren. No regrets about leaving early and extremely thankful to live in Canada for our fantastic health insurance.

Edited by gubby

My husband has his work computer counting down to retirement. It's at something like 2 years, 10 months, 15 days, 6 hours. To say he can't wait to retire is putting it mildly! Every few days he'll text me his "number" and I always respond with the days til our next cruise.:)

Very cute :)

I'm thinking of setting mine from days to weeks, but I havent done it yet...but soon!!!

Figured it out... 56 weeks minus 6 weeks of sick/personal leave equals 50 weeks!!! Less then a year of actual work!! Sounds a lot better than 250 days!!!;)

DH and I both retired from the education system soon after our government decided that standardized testing was the way to go. DH left in December '99, and I packed it in in June '00. Thirteen years later and I look and feel about 20 years younger. Never went back and although I missed the kids for a couple of years, when I heard those still teaching talk about helicopter parents and lack of respect for adults, that too ended.

We have been able to spend our winters in the southern USA, take a couple of cruises a year, spend tie in Europe and enjoy our grandchildren. No regrets about leaving early and extremely thankful to live in Canada for our fantastic health insurance.

Congrats on your full life. I love Canada but I'm sad to hear that Canada too has fallen to the test not teach trap.

• 2 weeks later...
Figured it out... 56 weeks minus 6 weeks of sick/personal leave equals 50 weeks!!! Less then a year of actual work!! Sounds a lot better than 250 days!!!;)

Down to 47 weeks!!!!!! I might keep this thread running with my countdown. Anyone else want to join in. We are already deciding on a retirement cruise!

We are going to Europe next fall and coming home on the Westbound Oasis transatlantic being her back to Ft. Lauderdale. That's my retirement trip! I retire in 301 days, but only 215 workdays, and I have 36 vaca days to take between now and then.

Edited by internetwhiz