Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

I'm thinking the "23rd of Februry, 2014. I know that is a strange date, but it will be (hopefully I can make it till then :)) a year since I have been out of the hospital. In the last two years, I have been in the hosptial 6 times, and I "don't" want to go back.:(

I work for a large well known corporation and I will have just turned 71, but most people think I am younger than what I am, and I love my job so we'll see.

I'm thinking the "23rd of Februry, 2014. I know that is a strange date, but it will be (hopefully I can make it till then :)) a year since I have been out of the hospital. In the last two years, I have been in the hosptial 6 times, and I "don't" want to go back.:(

I work for a large well known corporation and I will have just turned 71, but most people think I am younger than what I am, and I love my job so we'll see.

No matter what...best of luck to you.My wife spent a few months in the hospital almost 5 years ago...it was touch and go for awhile but she made a full recovery...I hope the same for you

gary

Well, I'm thinking exactly a year after that for my retirement. Blessings to both of us!!!:)))

March 18, 2016 will be my 30th year in law enforcement. Can walk out with 100% pay at age 52. Can stay longer for a 4 year drop program or I can go now, but I would need to buy 2 1/2 years of air time.

Just want to leave while my wife and I still are still in very good health. We love to travel and we just bought our retirement home, which has almost everyone believing I will be retiring soon.:rolleyes:

I retired in 2013 after 35 years with "Ma Bell". It wasn't a planned retirement though-I had an on-the-job accident resulting in back surgery. My job was very physical-I climbed telephone poles every day-and sadly the company didn't give me time to recuperate from the surgery.

After offering me a minimal pay sitting down job, I opted to retire. I was used to being out and about in a van all day and the thought of being trapped in an office environment didn't enthuse me at all..so I retired.

My husband also worked for Ma Bell and had a few more years to go before retirement-but he sadly had a heart attack and passed away.

My advise is to retire as soon as you can-you'll never say "Gosh I wish I'd worked a couple of months or years longer, especially if you've been able to save and are financially ready to go. Even though I wasn't exactly on the best financial road, I'm still glad I retired when I did.

Lots of we retirees say "I don't know how I had time to work, I have so much to do now" and thats exactly how I feel- I'm always busy, and though I occasionally miss the people I worked with and even the job, which was fun for many years, I don't miss the garbage working in a large corporation brings to us-the politics, the kissing up and the way some people do act.

So count down and retire when you can! I was actually in Cancun on my last official day as an employee as I took 3 weeks of vacation time I had coming after my disability ended.

I retired in 2013 after 35 years with "Ma Bell". It wasn't a planned retirement though-I had an on-the-job accident resulting in back surgery. My job was very physical-I climbed telephone poles every day-and sadly the company didn't give me time to recuperate from the surgery.

After offering me a minimal pay sitting down job, I opted to retire. I was used to being out and about in a van all day and the thought of being trapped in an office environment didn't enthuse me at all..so I retired.

My husband also worked for Ma Bell and had a few more years to go before retirement-but he sadly had a heart attack and passed away.

My advise is to retire as soon as you can-you'll never say "Gosh I wish I'd worked a couple of months or years longer, especially if you've been able to save and are financially ready to go. Even though I wasn't exactly on the best financial road, I'm still glad I retired when I did.

Lots of we retirees say "I don't know how I had time to work, I have so much to do now" and thats exactly how I feel- I'm always busy, and though I occasionally miss the people I worked with and even the job, which was fun for many years, I don't miss the garbage working in a large corporation brings to us-the politics, the kissing up and the way some people do act.

So count down and retire when you can! I was actually in Cancun on my last official day as an employee as I took 3 weeks of vacation time I had coming after my disability ended.

Thanks for posting. I have times when I have reservations about retiring, but then I'll have one of those "kiss up" days and it can't get here fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father retired at 59. He was in bad health. He discovered the the average lifespan, at that time, for retired employees at his company was 67.5. He retired, moved to the west coast, bought a condo on a golf course, and played several times a week. His health improved incredibly. He lived to 87. Many of his contemporaries passed away much earlier.

I got a chance of an attractive package at ate 59. Took it and never looked back. We have lots of places to go and things to see before we are unable to travel any more.

If you can manage it financially, get out early. Change your occupation, volunteer, travel, whatever.