Cruise Critic Community
Look2Sea

Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Just checking in, countdown is at 440 days . I have replaced my cancelled "Retirement cruise" with a new one ( in fact 2 new ones) First one on Equinox and then Adventure of the seas as a side to side spending a night in FLL in between.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just checking in, countdown is at 440 days . I have replaced my cancelled "Retirement cruise" with a new one ( in fact 2 new ones) First one on Equinox and then Adventure of the seas as a side to side spending a night in FLL in between.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I love the term "side to side." I have heard of "back to back" but like the idea that going from one ship to another has a different term!

My countdown started in August of 2016 when the company I had worked for over 30 years decided my position would be eliminated on 2-1-2018. A co-worker/friend who was also on "the list" and I decided to take a RIF cruise (Reduction In Force - that's what they called it) last February to celebrate the news. We are both now retired.....

Congrats! Hope you enjoy your new freedom from work and find many blessings ahead! :D

Well, I guess I am getting closer to retirement.

I am a teacher and plan on one more school year. I wanted to go on Symphony of the Seas so we booked it for Oct. of 2019.

Congrats! Hope you enjoy your new freedom from work and find many blessings ahead! :D

Thanks Go-Bucks - Happy sailing to you as well!

Well, I guess I am getting closer to retirement.

I am a teacher and plan on one more school year. I wanted to go on Symphony of the Seas so we booked it for Oct. of 2019.

Congratulations! A well deserved reward for your years of service!

Just found this thread.

Yup, for me 2019 is the year to start a new chapter in my life.

Have not settled on the exact date, it all depends upon which cruise I book to celebrate this mile-stone.

Praying for good health and wise decisions.

Take care.

Well done and it will fly by.

“Only” 426 days for me. However it reminded me of the saying about;

“Don’t count the days ie make days count!”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I retired 3 years ago, but my wife just retired yesterday after 44 years with the same employer. We'll be on a plane Tuesday and get on a cruise ship on Friday. Yahoo !!!!!

Just stumbled across this thread this morning. I just turned 57 in March. My husband will be 60 this June. I am an RN who has bad psoriatic arthritis and have already had one hip replaced twice. Although I am on medication, I continue to have pain in one joint or another. This morning I am waiting for Aleve to kick in so I can start on my Medical Transcription course I started which involves hours of typing. I currently work full-time in an operating room which is physically and mentally stressful. I plan on doing medical transcription from home after I retire.

Currently, my plan is to retire which I turn 62. Last year this would have been impossible. But, we were living in New Hampshire paying a huge mortgage and property taxes. Last October, we moved to Bradenton Florida and bought a mobile home in a 55 plus community for cash and had it remodeled from top to bottom. After we pay off a few bills, we are going to squirrel cash away for retirement. My husband works from home for a huge broadcasting corporation. If he can work until his is 68 (when my medicare benefits kick in), I can retire at 62.

aml that has to be incredibly difficult to be on your feet with your arthritis. One of my co workers is 62 and still works full time to pay for her husbands medication for his psoriatic arthritis. Our employer subsidized health plan changed their formulary and only cover 20% of his medication!:( I've been an RN for 41 years and still work full time. I dream of retirement daily, but I'm not sure if I'll completely retire at 65 or work PRN. One day a week might be good if I can. It's funny, because until last year I didn't even think too much about it, now I'm a little obsessed!

I'm curious about the medical transcription plans. I didn't know that was still a viable option with the electronic medical record systems in place now.

Congrats to all who are closing in on their retirement date, and good wishes to those who have a ways to go yet.

As of today, I'm officially 8 months away from leaving the office for the last time. However, if some incredible cruise deal comes up, I might consider delaying my departure by a week or so. Maybe, but probably not. :p

Congrats to all who are closing in on their retirement date, and good wishes to those who have a ways to go yet.

As of today, I'm officially 8 months away from leaving the office for the last time. However, if some incredible cruise deal comes up, I might consider delaying my departure by a week or so. Maybe, but probably not. :p

Congratulations! I'm sure the health care system there helps:).

I am about 16 months out. I think about it every day! Does anyone else do that? I have had a very fun and rewarding job working with our 4-H Youth Development as an Extension Educator and teach health and nutrition also. I like my non-traditional teaching....but the paperwork, rules, regulations and stress for the University make it just.....difficult. My kids have been in 4-H all their lives and I promised the last one of 6 that I would wait until he was finished to retire...so we send child #6 to college and off we go! That will be an odd month - finish work (after the county fair - some would retire before but I want to say goodbye to all these families I've worked with for years!) and retire and then take last child to college....and then a 10 day Quebec City to NYC cruise!

I am about 16 months out. I think about it every day! Does anyone else do that? I have had a very fun and rewarding job .............

Yes! Same thing here. I have had a very rewarding career, but look forward to setting my own schedule and not having to attend meetings, complete reports, etc. etc. They are all necessary aspects of the workplace, but I am looking forward to being free from them.

Each day I wake up and ask Alexa how many days are left until my planned retirement date. It is fun to hear the answer as it decreases. :)

Yes, I think about it every day. I have a count-down calendar and I try so very hard not to check it more than once a week but it's too tempting. I also have a count-down clock...which tells me I've completed 96.2% of my work life.

Up until the last year I truly enjoyed my work, however that has changed and it takes more and more out of me to get up every day to go to work. But I do have some good friends there so they help me get through the days. Surely this last 8 months will fly by.

9 months & 12 days!!!

(Not that I'm counting!!) I'm also an RN, almost 65 yrs old and still working full time in a hospital doing12 hr shifts. Getting so hard physically to walk 3-5 mi/day. I also work part time teaching nursing at a college, but I plan to continue that just a few hrs a week.

It's been a wonderful career (mostly in labor and delivery), but as someone said, one day I just realized that it was time to call it quits and start a new chapter in my life.....travel, hobbies and time with family. :D

HR suggested I change my retirement date to a couple of days earlier. I'm now at 84 days to go.

It has been great to read through the recents posts and I think we all have the same thoughts as the clock ticks by. My countdown clock tells me I have 412 days (May 2019) but like many others, my work is no longer the place it was and it is now 80% admin crap and 20% actual design (I am an Engineer) and it is all about dates and targets etc and less about the actual product!

I intend to stick it out but if I get seriously hacked off between now and then, then I will throw in the towel. We have a fabulous cruise out of Australia booked followed by time in Hong Kong so lots to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if, as we get closer to a possible retirement date, that things which we previously were willing to live with (policies, procedures, required trainings, etc.) now become more of a burden and we have less of a tolerance for them.

I wonder if, as we get closer to a possible retirement date, that things which we previously were willing to live with (policies, procedures, required trainings, etc.) now become more of a burden and we have less of a tolerance for them.

I think so too. It's painful to see people trying to reinvent the wheel, and they come up with something they think is new, and you remember when it didn't work the first time!

I think so too. It's painful to see people trying to reinvent the wheel, and they come up with something they think is new, and you remember when it didn't work the first time!

How very true! We have a review process at work for reports we write. It used to be four weeks, but then it was "improved" and now takes six weeks! I think we each have a point at which we say "time to go" and then start counting the days..... and hopefully at the end of that time is a wonderful cruise! :)

How very true! We have a review process at work for reports we write. It used to be four weeks, but then it was "improved" and now takes six weeks! I think we each have a point at which we say "time to go" and then start counting the days..... and hopefully at the end of that time is a wonderful cruise! :)

We have so many things that have to be audited, to the point that they are auditing what we throw away and into which trash receptacle! They audit how quickly we administer a medication ( most of the time the pharmacy hasn't even sent it up) how quickly we document assessments ( I've managed my work flow for 40+ years thank you very much) and if we smile and say hello if we meet someone coming within 10 feet of us! 222 weeks for me!