Cruise Critic Community
Look2Sea

Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

My last day of work is on the 22nd. I'm taking vacation for the last official week of work (retirement date of 29 June) since my DD will be here. On my last day of work I turn in my badge and simply go home, which will occur around 0800. Soooooo...I have 4 actual days of work left.

Congratulations as you are about to start a new chapter inyour life.

My last day of work is on the 22nd. I'm taking vacation for the last official week of work (retirement date of 29 June) since my DD will be here. On my last day of work I turn in my badge and simply go home, which will occur around 0800. Soooooo...I have 4 actual days of work left.

Congrats! Enjoy your visit with your daughter. We expect you'll be back to share with us how wonderful retirement is. :)

awesome that you have a few days left to work then right into the happy life. Cheers

And a happy life it certainly is . I can't believe over three years have passed since I retired. If I were offered £1m to work for another week I would decline

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app

I just started reading the first of the thread, that was sent 8n 2009 and it made me realise that I have 4 years and 3 months before I can officially retire at the age of 66......But my wife has now reminded me ... if we want to keep on cruising I would still have to keep on working......so I have sent my book I wrote a few years ago to a Big Newspaper in the hope of it being published.....took my 7 years to proof read it.......Fact and fiction based on the Titanic Class system.....here’s hoping ,,,,,

The main thing keeping me here is that I'd lose out on retiree medical, not only the ability to purchase it but the company has been putting aside an amount for me and my spouse for since I was 45, so I'd walk away from over $135K and have to find and pay for insurance until Medicare, so that total would be over $400K loss.

I know it's hard to keep going when you've picked up the "retirement bug", but I would advise you to stay as long as necessary to get those wonderful benefits....you'll love retirement so much more when you don't have to worry about money. I have a little over 6 months until I retire, but I'm 65 yrs old. I won't have any of those great benefits you'll have, but I just couldn't afford to quit any sooner. I do plan to drop down to part time soon so I'll sort of transition into retirement.

Thanks to all who offered good wishes. :) As I sit here on a Sunday morning with my cuppa, thinking about work tomorrow and what all I need to get done today, I realize that this same time next week it won't matter that's it's Sunday. Oh, how wonderful is that?

Thanks to all who offered good wishes. :) As I sit here on a Sunday morning with my cuppa, thinking about work tomorrow and what all I need to get done today, I realize that this same time next week it won't matter that's it's Sunday. Oh, how wonderful is that?

So jealous! It seems so far away to me :-(

So jealous! It seems so far away to me :-(

My firsts countdown to retirement counted Monday. I had well over 500 Mondays to go. That was so LONG ago, yet it seems the time flew by. It will for you as well. I promise!

My firsts countdown to retirement counted Monday. I had well over 500 Mondays to go. That was so LONG ago, yet it seems the time flew by. It will for you as well. I promise!

:D:D:D:D:D:D Enjoy your retirement!

I was posting on this thread 4 years ago with others. At least 1 year before I retired. You guys will get there and you will love being retired. Pretty much you get to choose what you want to do, when you want to do it, or do nothing!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I have 57 more Mondays. I’m so really, been at the same job for 44 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm counting weeks instead of days or years, although I know what those numbers are as well. 210 weeks to go. I'll fit vacation hours in there too. As they say, the days are long but the years are short. I'm looking forward to no weekend shifts and no holiday shifts. No more staff meetings and no required continuing education. No committees and no scrubs to launder. No mid year evaluations and no performance evaluations with peer reviews. No accreditation visits, and no calls begging for me to work extra, and no call offs with standby status. No ridiculous assignment configurations and no restrictions on when I can take vacation or how much I can take. My schedule will be my own choosing, not someone else's . No having to travel in bad weather or staying overnight in case I can't get there because of the weather 45 miles away. I might be able to find some decent health insurance. The only thing I will miss is the work that matters and the pay!

Misty,

I hope the remaining time goes quickly, but that you can also still enjoy it. I agree..... Having your time be your own will be the greatest gift, in my perspective.

I'm counting weeks instead of days or years, although I know what those numbers are as well. 210 weeks to go. I'll fit vacation hours in there too. As they say, the days are long but the years are short. I'm looking forward to no weekend shifts and no holiday shifts. No more staff meetings and no required continuing education. No committees and no scrubs to launder. No mid year evaluations and no performance evaluations with peer reviews. No accreditation visits, and no calls begging for me to work extra, and no call offs with standby status. No ridiculous assignment configurations and no restrictions on when I can take vacation or how much I can take. My schedule will be my own choosing, not someone else's . No having to travel in bad weather or staying overnight in case I can't get there because of the weather 45 miles away. I might be able to find some decent health insurance. The only thing I will miss is the work that matters and the pay!

I'm just back from turning in my work badges and travel credit card. I stopped by payroll for the final signature and it's now official. I'm fully retired with nothing better to do that plan my next vacation. And clean out the garage. And tackle that pile of papers to be filed in the office upstairs. And paint the master bedroom. And wash all the curtains in the house. And, and, and...

Congrats Fyree!!! And oh do I understand the pile of chores to be done. Friends who have retired have said they have no idea how they managed to get things while when they worked. Best of all, in retirement, you get to decide when you do the chores...or if you spend the time planning that next vaca!

I'm just back from turning in my work badges and travel credit card....

Congratulations!! I hope you enjoy your well-earned vacation, and have lots of fun cruising!

Technically I have 6 months to go, but I'll be off 6 weeks for surgery, then I've decided to go back for the final 4 months as part time. I'll be working 2/3 of what I am now. Hopefully this will ease me up to January 2! :D

For those retired or near retirement, how and why did you pick the date you chose to retire? My hubby and I are retiring in 3 - 5 years and chose a Thursday to retire. That way we don't have to go in on Friday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

For those retired or near retirement, how and why did you pick the date you chose to retire? My hubby and I are retiring in 3 - 5 years and chose a Thursday to retire. That way we don't have to go in on Friday.

I love that idea! My husband has been retired for 2 years. Im 62 and I just cant do it much longer. The 2 subway commute is a killer. Im planning on retiring in January and biting the bullet with the insurance.

Hello

My full retirement age would be on my birthday in Dec. 2012 so my thinking was.

I worked outside year round in Minnesota for 42.5 years.

I didn't want to work another winter or take the chance, in 1991 MN had a Halloween blizzard over 3 ft. of snow.

My last day was Oct. 31, 2012 signed all the paperwork turn in all company property etc...

So I didn't use any vacation or personal leave days early in the year. Started my vacation & PL days on Nov. 1st, this almost carried me to the end of the year.

My retirement date was Jan. 2, 2013 this way I was paid for New Year's Day holiday.

Being my birthday is Dec. my first retirement check/direct deposit would start on Feb 1, 2013.

My final paycheck would be Jan. 15, 2013, I earned my vacation for 2013 by working the 10 months in 2012

I took this vacation pay as a lump sum in Jan. 2013.

I am happy with the way my planning turned out!!!... Except 2012 was a leap year so an extra day Feb. 29th, which of course I had no control over. LOL

I hope what ever dates you plan for your retirement works as well.

Tom

I was posting on this thread 4 years ago with others. At least 1 year before I retired. You guys will get there and you will love being retired. Pretty much you get to choose what you want to do' date=' when you want to do it, or do nothing!!![emoji4']

Hey Debbie,

Finished up another school year. I started collecting social security in March. I paid off our first mortgage on our house June 30th. I will work at least one more year to pay off some bills. Then I will see what happens. I did talk to my principal about part time work since my grandkids will be going to my school and after 30 years there I still want to be connected. My class was a challenge but the new principal was good. I don't have to worry about taking anymore classes because they have a new ruling that if you are over 55 and have taught for 25 years or more you can get a permanent license.

Hey Debbie,

Finished up another school year. I started collecting social security in March. I paid off our first mortgage on our house June 30th. I will work at least one more year to pay off some bills. Then I will see what happens. I did talk to my principal about part time work since my grandkids will be going to my school and after 30 years there I still want to be connected. My class was a challenge but the new principal was good. I don't have to worry about taking anymore classes because they have a new ruling that if you are over 55 and have taught for 25 years or more you can get a permanent license.

Shirley, that is great!!! One step closer to retirement! Schools always need substitutes and I am sure they will welcome an experienced teacher. And I know with your grandkids there it would be special. Janice and I are going on the Bliss in August. Very excited to see the ship as well as Alaska. Enjoy your summer!

You and Janice will love Alaska. We have gone on two Alaska cruises, one 5 years ago with our friends and last August with my son from Chicago and my daughter-in-laws' family. In Skaway, they have a train that goes up the mountain. It is a little expensive but it is worth the money. I have a niece that has been living in Nome for the last 7 years. She is moving back to Wisconsin in Sept. She is an eye doctor.

You and Janice will love Alaska. We have gone on two Alaska cruises, one 5 years ago with our friends and last August with my son from Chicago and my daughter-in-laws' family. In Skaway, they have a train that goes up the mountain. It is a little expensive but it is worth the money. I have a niece that has been living in Nome for the last 7 years. She is moving back to Wisconsin in Sept. She is an eye doctor.

I have been to Alaska too. It is beautiful! We booked the new NCL Bliss. Looking forward to both!