Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Look2Sea

Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Recommended Posts

I have 10 months 2 days until retirement. Have been at my job for 44 years, will have 45 years in when I leave in July. So ready!!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have 10 months 2 days until retirement. Have been at my job for 44 years, will have 45 years in when I leave in July. So ready!!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

 

 

Well, according to my app.. 532b41368c946301c7cdcde28d9fb7a5.png

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To official retirement date - January 31, 2019 - 102 days

To last day in office - November 29, 2018 - 39 days

# of working days including today - 21!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Six years ago today I retired.

We got rid of everything home, autos, etc… no storage. I retired on Halloween 2012 left MN that day left the USA Jan. 3, 2013. Been traveling the world renting vacation/holiday homes.

Upcoming Itinerary - June 21, 2018 to March 1, 2021

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com/2018/06/our-new-itinerarywith-few-gapsin-time.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Six years ago today I retired.

We got rid of everything home, autos, etc… no storage. I retired on Halloween 2012 left MN that day left the USA Jan. 3, 2013. Been traveling the world renting vacation/holiday homes.

 

Upcoming Itinerary - June 21, 2018 to March 1, 2021

 

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com/2018/06/our-new-itinerarywith-few-gapsin-time.html

 

Congratulations and well done!  How do you handle mail?  Do you use a mail forwarding service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Congratulations and well done!  How do you handle mail?  Do you use a mail forwarding service?

 

Yes we use Mail Link Plus in Las Vegas NV https://www.maillinkplus.com/

We've used them since 2012 and are very satisfied with them and never have any problem with them.

 

They don't show as a PO box.

We use their address and our # which seems like an apartment or condo #, and have never had any trouble with mailing or shipping something there when we order something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomworldwidewaftage said:

 

Yes we use Mail Link Plus in Las Vegas NV https://www.maillinkplus.com/

We've used them since 2012 and are very satisfied with them and never have any problem with them.

 

They don't show as a PO box.

We use their address and our # which seems like an apartment or condo #, and have never had any trouble with mailing or shipping something there when we order something.

I should said we use their address for everything such as IRS tax forms etc.

 

The only things we don't use them for is our drivers license & absentee ballots because NV required a physical address for DL and voting absentee ballots.

NV allowed us to renew our DL online for the next 4 years(one time) So we didn't have return to get a new DL & photo.

We did our DL in 2012 then online renewal in 2016.

We will return to do our DL in 2020 new photo eye test.

 

For our DL & absentee ballots we use our son's address who lives in NV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I retired in July of 2017. It took me a while to get rid of the feeling that I should be somewhere working instead of doing whatever I want. We've taken two really long road trip vacations. I'm looking into cruises for 2020. Next year we're doing some remodeling and I don't have a good timeline for that, so we'll just do something when it's done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two years ago, I decided if all was well I would retire around Feb 2019. Sept 29, 2018 I submitted my paperwork to retire Dec 28, 2018. I just started counting the days. 23 working days to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2018 at 9:42 AM, testerlady said:

I retired in July of 2017. It took me a while to get rid of the feeling that I should be somewhere working instead of doing whatever I want. We've taken two really long road trip vacations. I'm looking into cruises for 2020. Next year we're doing some remodeling and I don't have a good timeline for that, so we'll just do something when it's done.

 

I just retired as of September 1st. I keep thinking there's a chart I should be filling out. I also can't come to grips with being able to stay up as late as I want...keep thinking I have to go to bed so I can get up at 6AM!  Thursday is our first cruise where my DH and I are both retired. I hope its still fun!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, boopsahoy said:

Thursday is our first cruise where my DH and I are both retired. I hope its still fun!!!

 

I'm sure it will be just as fun, if not more fun! DW and my first cruise after we were both retired (last October) was awesome! :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

 

I'm sure it will be just as fun, if not more fun! DW and my first cruise after we were both retired (last October) was awesome! :classic_biggrin:

Maybe it will be less depressing getting off the ship knowing NO WORK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe I'm down to 6 weeks (13 work days) till retirement on January 2!  It's a little scary to realize that the paychecks will end, but more time to travel and spend with family is exciting. 

 

tomworldwidewaftage: love your blog entry, especially the zebra pictures!      🦓   Looks like you're living the dream!!  Enjoy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Can't believe I'm down to 6 weeks (13 work days) till retirement on January 2!  It's a little scary to realize that the paychecks will end, but more time to travel and spend with family is exciting. 

 

Yes, the paychecks stopped coming twice a month, but the pension cheques started at the end of the next month. Life is grand being retired. Been retired almost 6 years now and no regrets, best decision I ever made.

 

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 9:08 PM, Heidi13 said:

Yes, the paychecks stopped coming twice a month, but the pension cheques started at the end of the next month. 

 

Unfortunately I don't have a pension.  :classic_sad:

 

Paychecks end in January....Social Security doesn't start until August! Until then I'll have to live off savings!  😮  

 

That's why it's a little scary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2018 at 10:02 AM, Debbie's-cruising said:

I have been to Alaska too. It is beautiful! We booked the new NCL Bliss. Looking forward to both!

 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

 

On 7/2/2018 at 10:02 AM, Debbie's-cruising said:

I have been to Alaska too. It is beautiful! We booked the new NCL Bliss. Looking forward to both!

 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hi Debbie,

It is Shirley read52.  Right after I talk to you last I broke my leg  so I wasn’t on wards very much. We changed are email so I had to rejoin cruise critic. Did you like Alaska? We did not cruise in the summer because of my leg. We are going to Cuba at Easter. We are doing a back to back so we will be gone 9 days. I am still teaching. I have a good class and only 14 students. After talking with my principal I might be able to work 4 days and not lose my benefits as a resource or stem teacher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK.....it finally happened....I retired today!!! 

 

It still feels like a dream.  My coworkers gave me a surprise retirement party and some nice gifts.  Had a great potluck lunch and took lots of pictures.  Many hugs and tears.  When I walked out of the building it was hard to believe that I won't be going back.

 

But....in 3 weeks I'll be boarding the ship and sailing around the world for the next 6 months.  I'm very excited for this new chapter in life.  :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is awesome! "Go-Bucks!" I am very happy for you. I have 36 months and 29 days, from all of the previous posts on here I am sure it will fly by and drag on...... I am looking forward to taking that around the world cruise myself when I retire. So many things on the bucket list, how do we find time to work?????

 

Again congratulations and have an amazing cruise!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...