Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conanc

Powercat to St. John Beach, Snorkeling and Christmas Cove - STF1

Has anyone done this excursion with Royal Caribbean? I am unable to find out any information on it. It appears to be a new excursion on Bimini Breeze. I would love to find out more. Pluses are that the excursion departs from the pier and is on a Powercat. Thanks!

Here is the description:

Board Powercat "Bimini Breeze" at pier & cruise past the S.E. Coastline of St. Thomas to St. John's Honeymoon Beach for great snorkeling. Next stop over to Xmas Cove a private isle for beachcombing, swimming and more snorkeling. On return great sightseeing, music, sodas, beers & rum drinks served.

At the pier board 'Bimini Breeze" a spacious custom built high-tech 65foot PowerCat and be whisked away along the picturesque southshore of St. Thomas with its many coves, villas and hotels, to the pristine beaches and snorkeling that St. John's National Park has to offer. From boat or beach snorkel and explore the undersea metropolis of coral reefs alive and pulsing with marine life and multitudes of colorful tropical fish carry on their daily "Nemoesque" lives or just revel in the soft white sand. Top quality snorkel equipment and friendly instruction is provided with personal disposable mouthpieces available.

You will return via Christmas Cove, a private isle for more snorkeling or beachcombing in paradise. The entertaining and professional staff will serve sodas, beers and rum drinks as we weave between exotic islets encased by Caribbean waters, listen to lively music, have fun, free tattoos, webphotos all ensuring a memorable exclusive trip while cruising back into charming St. Thomas Harbor.

We were thinking of doing this on our cruise in three weeks, and would love some reviews too!

This excursion has not even started to run yet. It is a brand new tour and the boat is currently in transit to St. Thomas from Florida. It will be hard to find reviews yet. Maybe you can be the first and let the rest of us know how it goes:D

Do you know when the boat is expected to arrive in St. Thomas? This tour is listed on the Royal Caribbean website as available. Thanks.

I have no idea, other than it is listed as an excursion for our cruise which is sailing in less than 3 weeks? So I would hope soon :)

Does anyone have updated information on this excursion? I am hoping this excursion is now up and running.... Thanks!

Just checking in again to see if anyone knows anything about this excursion. We are sailing next Thursday and are interested in booking, and are hoping the boat is now in St. Thomas and the excursion is running. We don't want to book and have it cancelled. Thanks!

Conanc please post back here if you do this excursion we have it booked for December. Good luck! It sounds like fun! Hope it is up and running for you!:)

Hi,

We are leaving on Thurs. for our cruise. I haven't booked the excursion yet, but we are going to check with the excursion desk once we get onboard and make the decision then. I will post when I get back! :D

someone please let us know if you've taken this excursion. RCI informed us today that the name has been changed to St. John Sea Safari by PowerCat - STF1. We are hoping to find out something about this excursion before we leave at the end of the month.

Hi Sunny days, we got the same message too, we are there in December, hopefully we'll here from Conanc!

Hi,

We just got back from a great cruise on the Explorer of the Seas yesterday! I am sorry that I can't give you a report on the Powercat excursion to to St. John. We booked this excursion but unfortunately it was cancelled late in the afternoon -- the day before we arrived in St. Thomas. Needless to say, we were very disappointed since we booked it onboard and (because of the information posted here) specifically asked if the excursion would be running and was assured it would be. I saved the letter they delivered to our cabin. The reason they gave for cancelling was that "the local tour operator in St. Thomas had just informed them that the excursion was cancelled due to mechanical reasons".

We went straight down to the shore excursion desk and were able to book the morning St. John Champagne Catamaran Sail and Snorkel which we very much enjoyed! We took a wild bus ride from the pier over to the marina to where the "The Adventurer" was moored. :eek: The crew was great, we motored over, snorkeled for an hour at beautiful Honeymoon Beach and sailed back to St. Thomas. You could swim to the beach or they would take you over in a dinghy if you weren't interested in snorkeling. They were very generous with champagne, beer, rum punch and snacks on the way back. It ended up being a great day.

Since they renamed the excursion, I am wondering if perhaps they switched tour operators because of this situation, so you may be able to make your Powercat excursion after all. Although we really enjoyed our excursion, I think there is a definite advantage to taking a Powercat excursion that departs from the pier.

Please post an update when you get back as I am anxious to hear if they have resolved this problem, and would possibly be interested in booking this for a future cruise.

I've attached some photos of the catamaran and the beach. I hope you have all have a wonderful cruise and excursion!

Enjoy!

Nancy

IMG_3851.jpg.a4c248cb507d2d8e09773f4d9248107e.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg.a1aeeaf7ef5f14264155b1fc332d1d35.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg.f13114dc42e758218c192df6a026a497.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg.e9bae6ff7c2de703f3703619e6239fb5.jpg

Sorry it was cancelled but sounds like you had a lot of fun anyway. Sunny Days you will be leaving before I do, please come back here and post if you get to do the Powercat, if yours is cancelled I seriously think I will look at other options before they all get booked.

Believe it or not, this excursion was cancelled for us also!!!! So sorry to say, I can't tell you anything - bummer! We ended up taking the regular excursioin to trunk bay. It was okay - there was so much time spent in travel and a later tour director, and confusion, that we didn't get to snorkel all that much. The beach was beautiful. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Sunny days,

Thanks for the update. That's too bad that your excursion was cancelled, too. Honestly, I think it is very unfair of Royal Caribbean to keep offering it and disappointing people when they know full well that the excursion isn't running yet.

St John is beautiful though! Glad you got to see the beach. We did that excursion to Trunk Bay a few years ago. It was quick with not a lot of time to snorkel but we enjoyed the beach as you did.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise! Thanks again!

We have booked this excursion for our Jan.14 Explorer cruise. Does anyone know if this excursion is actually going to happen. Sounds like the power cat boat hasn't arrived yet:eek: I will be a little upset if this is cancelled, I booked it a few months ago since it would get us to St. John much faster then the ferry. I will keep my fingers crossed. What is RCI policy, if an excursion is cancelled?I'm hoping it's not OBC, as we have quite a lot of OBC already.

Just got back from Freedom yesterday and we were able to take this excursion, my original thought was we would have some time on St John but this is purely snorkling. We had a 30 minute sail in huge waves which made thing quite exciting, then we got to Christmas Cove and everybody who wanted to got in the water, the guide from the powercat took them along a trail and they did see a stingray and lots of different fish, everyone seemed to enjoy. We then sailed for about another 15 minutes to Honeymoon Cove here you could jump off and swim to the beach it's maybe a 100 yards the young and middle aged didn't have a problem or they have a small dingy that they will take you over to the beach, we stayed at this stop for about 1 hour. There was plenty of drinks on board from soda & water to beer and a mixed drink called a Pain Killer and it was:eek:!!!! Chips and Salsa, a great friendly crew and nice people to talk to, it turned out much better than I had expected a really fun day and I don't snorkel.

Just got back from Freedom yesterday and we were able to take this excursion, my original thought was we would have some time on St John but this is purely snorkling. We had a 30 minute sail in huge waves which made thing quite exciting, then we got to Christmas Cove and everybody who wanted to got in the water, the guide from the powercat took them along a trail and they did see a stingray and lots of different fish, everyone seemed to enjoy. We then sailed for about another 15 minutes to Honeymoon Cove here you could jump off and swim to the beach it's maybe a 100 yards the young and middle aged didn't have a problem or they have a small dingy that they will take you over to the beach, we stayed at this stop for about 1 hour. There was plenty of drinks on board from soda & water to beer and a mixed drink called a Pain Killer and it was:eek:!!!! Chips and Salsa, a great friendly crew and nice people to talk to, it turned out much better than I had expected a really fun day and I don't snorkel.

Glad you had a fun day and that this excursion is up and running. I do have a few questions and maybe you can answer them. This was the Power cat tour, correct? How big of a boat, how many on board and is there any covered or shaded areas onboard? Just need to kow as my DH had a hip replaced a few yrs back and it is a concern. Although he is not old it is a concern as far as mobility and getting on and off. We picked the Cat tour over the sailboat tour just because of this. Any other info would be of help. Hope the rest of your cruise was as nice as this excursion.

Lynn, they told us it can hold over 100 people, we had about 80 on there, which they said was actually one of the largest groups they have had so far, it was comfortable but I think over 100 could be a little tight. The whole middle part is covered so there is plenty of shaded area. The hardest part for your DH would probably be the getting on and off you basically go from the dock to the catamaran and there is a gap in between but they have two crew members there to help, I'm sure if you tell them your concerns they will do everything they can to help, I would certainly recommend he stays seated while you are moving:eek: (if the seas are anything like we had believe me no one was moving around)but once they stop for snorkeling it's very easy to move around, again it you don't get off the catamaran they have a very entertaining and funny crew.

Our cruise was great, thanks, the weather could have been better but no one has any control over that. Hope you have a good time and if you have any other questions I will try to answer them for you.

Julie

We just returned on the 20th from our cruise on the RC Adventure of the Seas. We took the excursion aboard the Binimi Breeze and it was wonderful. The captain and crew were great and the snorkeling was the best we've had.

The terrible thing tht happened was that we were going to the beach after snorkeling for a while and I was knocked over by a wave. I didn't realize I lost my underwater camera (stainless steel Olympus) until about 10 minutes later when we were swimming back to the boat. If we had more time, I am sure I could have found it, but we had to leave. I know that it is still floating around out there and I wish I could get my photos back, as it was the last day of our cruise. There is a nice reward it anyone finds it.