Powercat to St. John Beach, Snorkeling and Christmas Cove - STF1

Conanc

Took this at the end of March while on the FOTS. We did not do any shopping before this as there didn't seem to be much time and we didn't want to be late. After the excursion we needed to back on the ship within about 10 mins from getting off the power cat so there was no time for shopping then either.

They offered water to drink before the snorkeling. After snorkeling they offered water, soda, beer and their pain killer drink. There was also chips and salsa.

Forgot to add that we had 2 stops, the first being the snorkeling one. I didn't see much other than one stingray on the bottom. Second stop was the beach/swimming. The crew said something about the number of people that were allowed to go to I guess what was the third stop and that the park limits how many can visit there daily so we only did the 2 stops.

• 1 month later...

We just did this shore excursion last week (May 25, 2010) and were very disappointed.

There were 78 people on board the catamaran, and we were shoulder to shoulder (it was very cramped). I can't imagine if there were 140 as they advertised was their capacity! We were told we were their "inaugural" excursion.

The owner met the group on the peer (we were on Carnival Dream), and we walked a ways to the Power Cat. The catamaran was not in poor condition, but it needed some fixing up. There are restrooms on deck, which are quite handy. However, the door to the women's restroom kept getting stuck--women couldn't get out! On one occasion, it took 2 crew members to pull the door; in the process of pulling the door open, the crew broke off the bottom portion of the door.

We did make two snorkel stops (I can't remember the names of the locations; one was a sea turtle sanctuary). We were not impressed at all with either location. On the first stop, all we saw were sea urchins, and while we were absolutely thrilled to see the sea turtles, it was nearly impossible to snorkel because there were so many people in the water! I can't even count how many times I got kicked with someone's swim fins! We did not stop at any beaches. I did think it was really awesome that the crew provided boogie boards and noodles for those who were not comfortable in the water. They did a great job with the children on board, too.

When we boarded, we were given water. After everyone had snorkeled, beer, pop, water, and rum punch were offered. T-shirts were also available for purchase. There was nothing to eat (no salsa and chips).

We were a bit frustrated because the snorkel time was fairly short. As we made our way back to the pier, we went a different route. The skipper then got the crowd involved in sort of a "cheering" contest--who could yell the loudest (the other group was from a different ship). This was perfectly timed so that as we made our way back to our ships, people on the ships would hearing the "fun" we were having. We would have much rather had more time snorkeling and less time "advertising."

My husband and I have done many of these types of snorkel trips in the past, and would probably give this one a 3 out of 10 (10 being the best). Our disappointment may be the result of unrealistic expectations--we expected a similar experience to what we had in Puerto Rico, Puerto Vallarta, and Cozumel, but it just wasn't there. For us, the best part of this shore excursion was the trip out and back on the catamaran. The scenery was stunning.

• 3 months later...

We too are looking at this excursion. Has it gone downhill since it started, or are there other recent good reviews?

It says it leaves at 1 pm, so I assume we would have time to shop or tour St. Thomas before we got on this? We are on Adventure of the Seas Jan 2, 2011.

• 5 weeks later...

I am sailing the Enchantment of the Seas in Feb and am looking at this excursion-I think called St John Sea Safari? I have a 77 year old friend who loves to sail. She can board boats if helped. Anyone know how hard to board the dingy to the beach? Since there is shade, she could also stay on board. Any info would be so appreciated.

Linda

There is plenty of shade on the boat. Some people swim to the beach, a few took the dingy. You board the dingy at the back of the boat. I didn't ride it so I can't be positive and I don't know how difficult it would be to get on at the beach for the return trip. The people who I saw who ride it though did not get wet if that helps.

We took this excursion March 2010 and I don't know if anything has changed.

• 1 month later...

So many of the reviews here are very positive, and the excursion sounds like alot of fun. I have a question though....I'm ALL FOR the rum punch "painkillers", lol, and I can see where that would lend to the fun.:D But I'd like to know from teenagers' points of view. We will be traveling with a 19 year old, and two 15 year olds. Since they obviously can't drink, I'd just like to know if there is good feedback from this age group. Please tell me if you had teenagers in your group, and if they really enjoyed themselves on this trip. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
We had 2 15 year old girls with us and they had a blast.

Just a warning, they don't check ID and the beer cooler was open for self service.

We're not drinkers, and would not want to our young ones to experience the bar scene ... I think I read more about the drinking than the snorkeling and swimming ... would this be true? Additionally, we are really wanting to snorkel, so would we be disappointed in this trip?

I have been on several snorkeling excursions out of St Thomas and the snorkeling has been OK, but not "WOW" on most occasions.

The ride is fun and while there is lots of rum punch on all of them for the last half hour most of the time it's just good holiday frivolity and not a place you'd be embarraseed for your kids to be.

My family, two adults and two teenage children took this excursion on a recent cruise on The Oasis of the Seas.

The convenience was excellent which was one of the primary reasons I chose it. The Bimini Breeze picks you up at the dock, a five minute walk from the Oasis. The Bimini Breeze is a very nice boat and although it was close to capacity, the crowd was not a problem. The young staff operating the boat was courteous, professional and fun. They did everything they could to help the customers enjoy the experience.

The problem is that this is not a snorkeling excursion. You do put on snorkeling equipment and make one quick (guide led) swim around a reef with marginal visibility and scattered sea life. Perhaps if you had never snorkeled before, you would find this satisfactory. I have snorkeled many times and I found this adventure to be very unsatisfying.

After completing the snorkeling portion of the excursion, we got back in the boat and had a short ride to St. John. We anchored about 100 yards off shore and proceeded to swim ashore to a portion of the private beach at the Westin Resort. I didn't watch the clock but my sense is that we had about thirty minutes on shore.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a nice boat ride, scenic views, tasty adult punch and lively music, this is probably a very good excursion for you. If you are truly seeking a memorable snorkeling or beach experience or if you have a family with children, I would not suggest this excursion.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a nice boat ride, scenic views, tasty adult punch and lively music, this is probably a very good excursion for you. If you are truly seeking a memorable snorkeling or beach experience or if you have a family with children, I would not suggest this excursion.

I'd say that pretty well has it nailed for all the St Thomas snorkeling excursions I have been on. I enjoy the snorkeling because I always do, but it's definitely not outstanding in any way....and I do like the scenery and the boat ride...and possibly even a rum punch or four.

Archived