Price Reduction Problem

hunnypot1

Last week, there was a $24 pp reduction in our fare. I sent the form and the reduction was handled promptly. YAY!

Their policy states these requests will be handled within 2 business days.

Well, as soon as that request was processed, the fare dropped another $20 pp. I have sent three requests now, each about two days apart. I just sent the 3rd request a few minutes ago.

I am concerned that the fare will change before they get around to dealing with this.

Should I call?

Should I just keep sending requests?

What is up? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

:confused:

I had many price drops last year on a family cruise where we had 3 cabins booked. Each time I called they made the adjustment. I booked with a PVP but just called the 800 # for adjustments. One time when I called the price had increased from the time I saw the decrease and the operator or customer service person was able to view the rate that I had saw a few minutes prior. Hope this helps. All adjustments were taken care of with out a problem.

I too have been having a problem getting credit for a recent price reduction. The price for 3rd and 4th passengers have dropped by $50 each and I have submitted 3 times already with no response. I called me Carnival PVP again last night about it and have some conversation we agreed to have me call back this morning so we can get supervisors (hers and the section that handles the program for credit for price reductions) to get this cleared up. I need to note that my PVP has been great about helping me and is just as frustrated as I am. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

Alan

Just got of the phone with my PVP. IO feel sorry for her because I think she is getting the run around from the department that runs the program. They told her to have me wait for 24 hours and call back tomorrow to try and resolve it. Also they want me to submit for the reduction AGAIN!

I told her that I had already submitted for the same rate 3 times already (09/29/09, 10/04/09 and 10/09/09) and saw no reason to have to submit again. The policy states that a determination is to be made within 48 hours of submission. She told me that she would keep working the problem and would get back to me today. I said that would be fine but if she was still getting the run around that I will want to be talking to someone higher up the food chain.

If this is not resolved soon I will do a please reply to John Heald on his blog. I know the Carnival higher ups read his blog.

This is really getting frustrating and I do LOVE sailing Carnival but this has been going on for 17 days and with the ship starting to fill up I am afraid they will up the rate and then tell me "too bad" because the rates are back up.

I'll let you all know if this gets resolved...or not.

Alan

Well, I just received the following reply:

"We regret to advise that your Early Saver price protection request has been denied. Please visit www.carnival.com/earlysaver for Terms & Conditions on exercising a price protection. Please be advised the rate provided is for an oceanview guarantee. Our records indicate you are booked in category 6B. As stated on the Early Saver Terms & Conditions price protection is based on stateroom category booked."

But the site said cabins under that rate included 6B. I am confused. Does this mean whoever gets that rate will not be placed in a 6B cabin?

When I booked, they picked my cabin number - not me. Sort of like a guarantee.

What category/rate did you submit the price reduction request for? If it's for an OV, and you're booked in 6B (even if you booked OV), I don't believe you'd be eligible.

Well, I just received the following reply:

"We regret to advise that your Early Saver price protection request has been denied. Please visit www.carnival.com/earlysaver for Terms & Conditions on exercising a price protection. Please be advised the rate provided is for an oceanview guarantee. Our records indicate you are booked in category 6B. As stated on the Early Saver Terms & Conditions price protection is based on stateroom category booked."

But the site said cabins under that rate included 6B. I am confused. Does this mean whoever gets that rate will not be placed in a 6B cabin?

When I booked, they picked my cabin number - not me. Sort of like a guarantee.

You were not eligible. A OV guarantee is a lower category than even a 6A. You cannot match downward. A 6B for sure doesnt match a OV guarantee.

It doesnt mean you cant get a 6A or higher with a OV guarantee, it just means you werent eligible, because you were trying to price match downward ... you would have to match a BL guarantee, and move up, not down.

I do think a 6A should be a match with the OV guarantee (but its not my decisions) ... but Carnival says not... since you would at least get a 6A, but its also not elgible for the record.

Just to say it plainer ... you have to price match the same category you are booked in .. or higher. Cant match downward.

I'm so glad that after what, about a year, that people can't seem to figure out the whole ES thing.

Of course, here I am, the ONLY time I booked when I wasn't 100% positive that DD would be sailing with me, so didn't book the ES rate, and sure enough, a few days after final payment, the rates dropped on Miracle.

Oh well! At least I fully understand what the rules are and what qualifies or doesn't.

I just can't understand why people continue to book using this rate when they don't understand the fare rules. :o

OT: Firefly, I sent in stock info Wednesday of last week (I think), and my OBC was on my docs on Tuesday. Always takes mine 4-5 days to show up.

I had many price drops last year on a family cruise where we had 3 cabins booked. Each time I called they made the adjustment. I booked with a PVP but just called the 800 # for adjustments. One time when I called the price had increased from the time I saw the decrease and the operator or customer service person was able to view the rate that I had saw a few minutes prior. Hope this helps. All adjustments were taken care of with out a problem.

That would have been before the early saver program was started. That doesn't work for early saver.

OT: Firefly, I sent in stock info Wednesday of last week (I think), and my OBC was on my docs on Tuesday. Always takes mine 4-5 days to show up.

My PVP said late yesterday, mine was there now too. First request went into that black hole, I sent the request before my B2B, so I know they had plenty of time to process it since I was gone 14 days.

I'm so glad that after what, about a year, that people can't seem to figure out the whole ES thing.

Of course, here I am, the ONLY time I booked when I wasn't 100% positive that DD would be sailing with me, so didn't book the ES rate, and sure enough, a few days after final payment, the rates dropped on Miracle.

Oh well! At least I fully understand what the rules are and what qualifies or doesn't.

I just can't understand why people continue to book using this rate when they don't understand the fare rules. :o

Even if the rate NEVER went down it was still the lowest fare at the time.

I have already benefitted from a $25 pp reduction, so would book this rate again in a heartbeat. Hey, $179 pp for a 4 night cruise in an OV is nothing to sneeze at!

On my second request for rate reduction, I gave them the OV rate, not realizing the variations possible. Now I know. Just a rookie error, being my first Carnival cruise and all...

Even if the rate NEVER went down it was still the lowest fare at the time.

I have already benefitted from a $25 pp reduction, so would book this rate again in a heartbeat. Hey, $179 pp for a 4 night cruise in an OV is nothing to sneeze at!

On my second request for rate reduction, I gave them the OV rate, notdersatnd realizing the variations possible. Now I know. Just a rookie error, being my first Carnival cruise and all...

This does bring up an interesting problem with early saver. When the ship fills and your category closes, can expect them to honor a lower price for a higher category.....I would be pissed but I guess I can see why they won't honor a lower price for an already booked lower category when a current higher cat is cheaper??????

This does bring up an interesting problem with early saver. When the ship fills and your category closes, can expect them to honor a lower price for a higher category.....I would be pissed but I guess I can see why they won't honor a lower price for an already booked lower category when a current higher cat is cheaper??????

In the OPs spot, she put in for a OV guarantee, when she was in a 6B.

I am in a 1A and 1A and 4A are now sold out. There was a $10 pp cheaper price on a 4B, but I would have had to make up my mind fast and give up my 1A and move "up" to the 4B to then put in for the price drop. You cant just match the higher category price ... you also have to move to a cabin that might not be as desirable, depending on where on the deck it is. For $20 it was a hard choice, but I probably would have done it but the price was gone the next day by the time I talked to my PVP ...

Having so many Carnival bookings ... I get to see all kinds of these things first hand :eek:

Okay, this is very irritating.

I just checked the website and the rate is now $149 for an OV for California residents. Grrrrrrr.

And I have no way of knowing if any 6B cabins are now available at this rate.

Does anyone know how to figure this out?

Do I just have to keep checking with them?

Okay, this is very irritating.

I just checked the website and the rate is now $149 for an OV for California residents. Grrrrrrr.

And I have no way of knowing if any 6B cabins are now available at this rate.

Does anyone know how to figure this out?

Do I just have to keep checking with them?

Just go to the Carnival web site and do a dummy booking in the same category that you are booked in, and see if there are any available rooms. Then put in for a rate reduction if there is.

Just watch the prices on 6B. Since you have been assigned a cabin, the OV rate no longer applies. I just checked their TA site, and it's $164 for CA residents. There's a $159 past passenger rate, with an upgrade to 6D. Since you sailed on HAL, they may allow it.

Just watch the prices on 6B. Since you have been assigned a cabin, the OV rate no longer applies. I just checked their TA site, and it's $164 for CA residents. There's a $159 past passenger rate, with an upgrade to 6D. Since you sailed on HAL, they may allow it.

Thank you both for replying. Very helpful!

:)

I called Carnival and asked them about the 6D CA rate of $164, and was told it was $199. :confused:

sigh...

Theirs is a bizarre system.

I shall continue to monitor the website for 6Bs.

Thank you. :)

No, the CA resident rate of $164 is for 8B.

The past passenger rate, which you may qualify for as a past passenger on HAL, for category 8B is $159, with an upgrade to category 8D.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

No, the CA resident rate of $164 is for 8B.

The past passenger rate, which you may qualify for as a past passenger on HAL, for category 8B is $159, with an upgrade to category 8D.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Thank you for the clarification.

I called Carnival. The CSR said there were no 8Bs on the Elation. However, the CA resident rate was now $159 for my 6B, with $109 for the 3rd person. This will save us a total of $100. He would not process the reduction, and referred me to the proper form.

I hope the folks reviewing the form agree with the CSR's assessment.

(crossing fingers)

Thank you again. If you hadn't posted, I wouldn't have made that call.

Thank you for the clarification.

I called Carnival. The CSR said there were no 8Bs on the Elation. However, the CA resident rate was now $159 for my 6B, with $109 for the 3rd person. This will save us a total of $100. He would not process the reduction, and referred me to the proper form.

I hope the folks reviewing the form agree with the CSR's assessment.

(crossing fingers)

Thank you again. If you hadn't posted, I wouldn't have made that call.

have you tried doing a advanced search with the above criteria yourself?? That way you dont have to call and talk to reps who sometimes are good, sometimes not. I want to see the rates myself and I would take a screen print of them if I ever got a rate reduction... sighs, so far my categories keep selling out.

Well, I finally figured out how to find the prices by catagory (6A, 6B, etc.) on the website.

Now the CA rate for my cabin is showing as $164 with no change in the 3rd person rate. Sigh....The CSR quoted as $159 earlier with a $20 drop in the 3rd person rate. I would be nice if Carnival honors his price quote.

Archived