Captain Edward G. van Zaane will be Master of ms Nieuw Amsterdam

DutchByAssociation

I have had the pleasure of sailing with Captain van Zaane three times, first aboard Rotterdam V on an Alaskan cruise and twice aboard the Amsterdam. He is truly a master mariner and deserves this new appointment and challenge.

Congratulations, Captain!

Thank you for this great interview with the Captain.

Did you notice that at least twice he referred to the ship as a Yacht? I found that interesting.

Joanie

Joanie,

Just for the sake of accuracy: he is saying "YARD" not yacht.

Meaning the Ship Yard where she is being built and fitted out.

r.

We've sailed with Captain Van Zaane on both Rotterdam V and Amsterdam.

Congratulations to him & his gorgeous Apollonia on their new assignment.

Who will take his rotation as Master of the Amsterdam?

Capt. van Zaane has actually been "driving" Westerdam alternating with Peter Harris. Amsterdam's current masters are Fred Eversen and Olav van der Waard

And now, for her godmother......................................Dutch?;)

1. Inge de Bruyn - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inge_de_Bruijn

2. Princess Maxima - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_M%C3%A1xima_of_the_Netherlands

3. Famke Janssen - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famke_Janssen

I've heard nothing on this discussion, but personally feel that of the three you listed, and she was already in my mind before you posted this, that Princess Maxima would be a wonderful choice. I believe that much of what she does, and much of who she is embraces HAL's core values. My opinion at least...

I've heard nothing on this discussion, but personally feel that of the three you listed, and she was already in my mind before you posted this, that Princess Maxima would be a wonderful choice. I believe that much of what she does, and much of who she is embraces HAL's core values. My opinion at least...

Wait and see, huh!;) Maxima would be a great choice and another in a long line of Dutch royalty who are/have been godmothers of HAL ships: Queen Wilhelmina, Queen (Princess) Juliana, Queen (Princess) Beatrix and Princess Margriet

This all makes sense, and I had a gut feeling this would happen (and yes, I should have posted my thoughts before now to prove it).

Moving Capt. van Zaane to the Westerdam seems to have been a training exercise to give him a feel for handling the larger ship.

Plus, he was the take-out captain for the current m/s Amsterdam (he is in the photo of the christening in the ship library). Thus, he gets to be the first master of both the m/s Amsterdam and the m/s Nieuw Amsterdam. There is some good symmetry there.

He has a great speaking voice for a captain. He always sounds calm, in control, unflappable, etc.

And for something completely different, I don't remember the star on each lapel of the captain uniform before. Is that something new?

Archived