Cruise Critic Community
Waking life

SCAM ALERT: Watch out for guy who will ask if you speak English

I'm glad I read these boards...we met the scammer himself on Dec. 8! That Saturday morning we were walking around OSJ and he approached us on the street near Plaza Colon. An older, well dressed man (dockers, button up shirt) walked passed us and then turned around and said, "Excuse me, do you speak English?" As soon as I head that, I immediately thought of the CC boards! He then launched a story about how his father was robbed while on a tour of the La Perla neighborhood (the shanty town between the two forts) and that all of their money was taken and his father was badly beaten. He just needed a "few dollars." The kicker was that he apologized for his Wisconsin accent. Umm, we live in Wisconsin and this guy didn't have a Wisconsin accent!!! But we didn't tell him that. We just waved him off and told him we couldn't help. He was very mild manner...in no way was the encounter threatening. I should have told him he was a "star" on the CC boards!

Posted (edited)
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, journeycollector said:

I'm glad I read these boards...we met the scammer himself on Dec. 8! That Saturday morning we were walking around OSJ and he approached us on the street near Plaza Colon. An older, well dressed man (dockers, button up shirt) walked passed us and then turned around and said, "Excuse me, do you speak English?" As soon as I head that, I immediately thought of the CC boards! He then launched a story about how his father was robbed while on a tour of the La Perla neighborhood (the shanty town between the two forts) and that all of their money was taken and his father was badly beaten. He just needed a "few dollars." The kicker was that he apologized for his Wisconsin accent. Umm, we live in Wisconsin and this guy didn't have a Wisconsin accent!!! But we didn't tell him that. We just waved him off and told him we couldn't help. He was very mild manner...in no way was the encounter threatening. I should have told him he was a "star" on the CC boards!

I DID tell him that he was famous on Cruise Critic. He walked away from me...very quickly!

Edited by reeree313
didn't finish my response

Saw him this month near Plaza De Armas.  Did not realize what was happening till we had come abreast of the scammer and an older American man who were blocking the sidewalk.  As we passed by I saw the older man hand the younger man something and he said he was sorry but that was all he had on him.  The scammer replied that he should not be sorry and thanks.  The scammer then took off at a fast clip and I watched him till he was out of sight.  I wish I could have heard the whole transaction.  I might have warned the older gentleman. 

Haha just came back from a cruise to San Juan and he approached us too!!! We told him we had no cash and walked away. He was mellow and didn’t bother us. But 10 years later and still at it! SMH!

On 3/18/2019 at 12:56 PM, LittleYiaYia said:

Saw him this month near Plaza De Armas.  Did not realize what was happening till we had come abreast of the scammer and an older American man who were blocking the sidewalk.  As we passed by I saw the older man hand the younger man something and he said he was sorry but that was all he had on him.  The scammer replied that he should not be sorry and thanks.  The scammer then took off at a fast clip and I watched him till he was out of sight.  I wish I could have heard the whole transaction.  I might have warned the older gentleman. 

We are staying at this hotel. Time to brush up on my high school French. Parlez vous Francais? 

As many times as we have been to SJ and cruised out of there (and stayed multiple days before and after the cruise) I have yet to meet this famous person!

However, we got split up from my son in law when we were there in May and ....he fell for it and gave the guy money. We laughed about it afterwards but he didn't care and he's willing to help anyone at any time. That's just his nature and even if the guy would have told him the truth, he probably still would have done it. LOL He actually gave him $20

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, mitsugirly said:

As many times as we have been to SJ and cruised out of there (and stayed multiple days before and after the cruise) I have yet to meet this famous person!

We haven't either - after 10 trips to Puerto Rico and probably 25-30 times to Old San Juan.  I'm feeling left out:classic_tongue:

We were just there this week and was approached by him. He asked if we spoke English .  Then he made a joke about only speaking  Wisconsin.  He told us that his brother was in the bad part of Puerto Rico and got beat up and mugged. He was taken to the hospital.  My husband said “sorry to hear , good luck with that” and walked off. All we heard him say is “jeez”. Lol

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences - I'll make sure to give my group a heads-up before we travel to OSJ in December. None of us normally give money in any case but just in case anyone is feeling the Christmas spirit...

Guess who was in port behind the Sheraton this morning? Heard him telling a group he was from Wisconsin. 

88B79210-EB9D-406F-99C1-09048D490EA5.jpeg

We met him yesterday morning just off the Plaza de Colon.  His story was back to him and his father being mugged.  I hadn't told my wife about his popularity, or story yet, so she was unhappy that I tried to keep walking and wouldn't help.  After we left him, I told her about his popularity here and she wished she'd asked for a selfie for me to post.

I will say this this guy is persistent. His legacy lives on and on and on. His story has lived on these boards now for years.