Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BethA

Is AOS really as bad as the reviews???

We are on the June 26 AOS sailing and I am sick over all the bad reviews. No one seems to like the entertainment, poor service, rude locals overtaking ship, mediocre food--the list in the posts and reviews is endless. We have always cruised Disney and have found the service and entertainment excellent. The food was good, loved the food at pools and room service.

If the entertainment is so bad what does everyone do? We went to all the shows on DCL, but hate to waste our time here. On DCL the whole family went to the show--these sound like kids would hate them.Is room service that bad? On DCL it was prompt and very good.

Will this cruise be a disappointment? How are the teen and children's programs?

I can't even get excited for this cruise after all I've read about the ship being shabby and dirty and Windjammers awful.

I'd appreciate any comments from recent cruisers-good and bad so we can be prepared.

Thanks

Beth

You're cruise will be what you make of it. The pictures of the ship are beautiful, the ports fantastic. I am going on the AOS on 2/27 and the reviews I have read are wonderful and lots of people on these boards will tell you the same. As far as locals go, I know obnoxious people who live in Pennsylvania who could ruin your cruise. Don't go with preconceived ideas about things like that. I'm going to have the time of my life on the AOS!

Hi Beth-

We are Diamond RCI people. My husband loves the voyager class. We did the AOS last March and had a Promande Room. The last voyager we did; we had no idea all that stuff was going on in the Promande area. Loved looking out the window and seeing everrything going on Do not know about children's program. Ice skating was a work of art on the seas. Everyone was nice to us. Still emailing our dinner mates. Saw a show on the Promande floor where the captain knew how many first crusiers, new marriage, multi cruisers and the countries where everyone was from. The thing I was most impressed with was what he said--"Isn't it nice for 1 week we all get along so well-only if the world could be that way?" Enjoy!!:D My best friends are going the 1st of March on the AOS.

Last year we were on AOS, Brillance in Med-food and service terrible-outside of ship was fantastic., and the Jewel-she is BEAUTIFUL.:o

The Navigator has not gotten so good reviews, but we are taking my daughter and future son-in-law (for graduation) over Thanksgiving 05.;)

Sometime it is like recommending a restaurant, and for some people it just turn out bad. In fact people, over Thanksgiving, that we were with their kids did not even want to get off the boat--this yr they are staying home with grandma.:eek: LindaMae

I'd love to hear from you when you return from the AOS.

I know everyone has a different experience-where we have loved DCL others have hated it. I just had not seen many posts of people who really loved this ship and PR departure.

Any other comments out there?

we were on AOS Sept 03, one thing about the southern caribbean is you see a lot of ports, they were great. As for the ship, I was NOT please, it was dirty, the food was not good, I lost 2 lbs. There were no entertainment for 3 of the seven nights of the cruise, why??????

We were in a JS on the hump of the ship, the balcony was mostly steel, you have to be standing to see the ocean

We are going on the NOS in June, newer ship, Let you know

I must have been on a different ship, we loved the AOS, everything about it. We had such a great time, enjoyed the food and the entertainment too.

We are on the June 26 AOS sailing and I am sick over all the bad reviews. No one seems to like the entertainment, poor service, rude locals overtaking ship, mediocre food--the list in the posts and reviews is endless.

Beth

Beth

Differences in cultures doesn't mean that all the "Local" people are or will be rude to you, problem is that some people don't see that the rudeness don't comes with ethnic, it is within anyone, Hispanic, White, Asian etc. So don't worry about that, the AOS is great and beautiful, for us the quality of the services and shows were exceptional, for others don't. Go and enjoy every minute of your cruise.

I loved the AOS, it was clean and the food Great when we went. But then again I do not look into to corners to see if there is dust, some people do. AND I never take other people's word about food, what is crap to one person is gourmet to others and vica versa.:rolleyes:

BethA....read my review....the only problem was the locals and you can probably avoid them....my friend did not have this problem when she went a few weeks before me....seems that it just depends on luck of the draw.

Mom & I LOVED it...(search for posts by me....it was probably the last week in october.......i sailed 10/17-i am not home or i would paste the link.) We had JS 9324 at the end of the hump.....it was great....we were on the side where we docked in st Thomas & st. martin and facing the ocean in aruba & curacao....we could see a lot.

there is a link (or at least address) for my pix on webshots...the Jr Suite was GREAT!!! More storage space than needed, bigger than the hotel room i am in this weekend in toronto!!! LOL

the food was perfectly fine....some things could have been hotter but we liked everything for the most part. (the mousse-y stuff for dessert in the Windjammer gets boring though).

the entertainment that we saw was great too..(read the review, i was sick the first day-not from the ocean though so i missed out on some stuff) i don't know how people can see it and think it stinks.....the production shoes were great. i guess comedians can vary but our person was funny (and clean enough for my "39" year old mom to laugh!!-shes a little older than that!!)

service was great with maybe one exception. everyone always said hello.

they could do a better job with traffic flow around the photo stations on formal night and entering the theatre but honestly...my mom & i were not sure if we would like it......we would gladly give up our current stay in cold toronto to be back on AOS right now. BTW i was feeling "boat-sick" (kinda like homesick) tonight at dinner so i ordered some sort of mousse thing for dessert! now if the turndown lady at the marriott would just make me a towl animal!!..

you'll have fun...email me at cruisermeg@cs.com if you have any specific ???s but i am away so i have to walk a few blocks to kinkos to check emails!!

have fun

Hi!

We loved the AOS and the ittinearies that we have booked our THIRD trip on her this year. Typically, I like to try out a new ship for every cruise since there are so many and so many ittienaries. With that said, the AOS ittinearies are the best the caribbean has to see and offer. We have been on both ittinearies (where we go to St Lucia, Antigua, Barbados St Marten and St Thomas and the ittineary where Aruba and Curacao are substituted).

My friend went a different week with his family (a total of 5 cabins) and they loved it. I have been on 6 cruises, and had lunch on 3 additional ships (all from different cruise lines). AOS and the voyage class are my favorite because I like the size and all there is to do-incluiding ice skating.

Our last cruise on AOS was May 2004 right before her refurbishment. She had new carpets laid, linnens changed, paint job in and out. A deep cleaning for her.

In total, between my friends and family we have been on her 2 times with a total of 10 cabins...our 2005 cruise will be another 5 cabins--all different friends that have never cruised on her before.

There was a retired man that basically spent 1/2 a year on the ship traveling around. In May, he had been on the ship for 12 consecutive sailings. If that does not speak to how great the ship is, I don't know what will.

Please email me at nomad498@msn.com if you want more information or pictures.

PS: My boyfriends 1st cruise was on the AOS. He had always thought he'd hate cruising. He loved it so much that he went again may 04 and scheduled his kids to come with us december 05.

You'll have a great time. Dont worry about it. The ship, its parades in the promenade, the ice skating rink, etc....you won't have time to have a bad time!

We were on AOS Super Bowl weekend last year. We loved it. Loved everything. Oh, sure there were some things that you could be petty about but you're on vacation. It was one of our BEST cruises and we're Diamond Members. I'd go again tomorrow if I had the time and money. Don't worry.

I just got off AOS from the 12/26-1/2/05 sailing. I did a quick review on another thread. Overall we had a good trip. I did not realize the ship had gone through an overhaul until I read it above. My room had a worn look to it so I'm alittle surprised to read about the overhaul. Be that as it may....I wasn't impressed with the entertaiment, there wasn't that much of it at night. I thought it was probably because it was a holiday week so maybe the cruise line could'nt get many entertainers. The ice show was great and so was the "quest." The last time we were on VOS we thought the enteratiment was great! My family and I are just used to more choices during the evening hours. So, I'm chalking that up to the time of year.The food was fair to good. The windjammer was o.k.. I didn't find out they offered bagels until the 6th day. They don't put them out. You have to ask for them near the toaster. I thought the lunches were pretty good. The dinners in the Strauss dining room were good, not super fantastic. I didn't care for the desserts. I have a sweet tooth, and it wasn't satisfied. I found the ship to be clean. The people at the guest relations desk were always courteous and efficient, along with my cabin steward. Our head waiter in the Strauss dining room on the other hand, was not. One must remember that these employees are away from the their families during the holidays also, so I tried to keep things in perspective. Our ass't waitress was very sad on New Years, who could blame her! She was great BTW!

The ports of call were wonderful, take advantage of every stop! Every cruise is what you make of it! Go, enjoy, relax and have fun. I was thrilled that I didn't have to cook, make my bed, clean up or do laundry!!!

We loved the Adventure so much that we sailed her twice! I think that the people that are happy with their AOS experience far outnumber the people that are unhappy---however, the people that are unhappy talk about it twice as much!

My brother and SIL cruised on the Adventure and highly recommended it to us, they have also cruised on Disney and liked that as well. We also know four other couples from work that sailed the AOS on our recommendation and had an awesome time!

I can't believe that anyone found her to be dirty--I am a clean freak and that was one of the things that I was so impressed by--they are constantly cleaning every surface on the ship! Everything sparkled on both our trips!

Relax...have a good time!

We were in the AOS last July and were concerned also about the bad reviews. We had an excellent time; the kids did not want to get off. Food was good and plenty. The ship was in excellent condition there were always somebody cleaning and disinfecting railings etc in all public areas. We stayed two nights in PR pre cruise and that was great also :)

I was on AOS in July and loved it. My party thought the food was better than some other cruises we had been on and we enjoyed the entertainment. We ordered room service and had absolutely no problem with delivery and thought the food was good. There were a few times when I thought the public areas of the ship could have been a bit cleaner but nothing that would let me ruin a trip over. You will have a wonderful time.

We are on the June 26 AOS sailing and I am sick over all the bad reviews. No one seems to like the entertainment, poor service, rude locals overtaking ship, mediocre food--the list in the posts and reviews is endless. We have always cruised Disney and have found the service and entertainment excellent. The food was good, loved the food at pools and room service.

If the entertainment is so bad what does everyone do? We went to all the shows on DCL, but hate to waste our time here. On DCL the whole family went to the show--these sound like kids would hate them.Is room service that bad? On DCL it was prompt and very good.

I can't even get excited for this cruise after all I've read about the ship being shabby and dirty and Windjammers awful.

I'd appreciate any comments from recent cruisers-good and bad so we can be prepared.

Thanks

Beth

If i was you, i wouldn't read anymore and go on and enjoy your vacation as you never found this webpage. We are all different; feel and think very different so you can't go by what everyone says. Also, why worry about locals? Do you worry about your locals? I know a lot of rude, annoying and obnoxius people here in CT and do i care, NO! Did they pay for your vacation? No! Are they going to be on your table? Maybe, just worry about having a good time with your family and enjoy. When you come back just give us the review and opinions.:)

Thanks

Beth

my wife, daughter & i did aos last may and love it. you will have a great cruise-i promise! i also was upset by some of the reviews for aos----but found them to be without merit. have a great cruies AND RELAX!

dean & alice

ps the windjammer was great.

the public spaces great

food good to very good

shows ok to good

service very good to great

kids program great

ship in great shape

We sailed AOS last January. We had a great time! The ship was in excellent shape. I have sailed DCL, and actually thought I saw more worn look on the Magic than AOS, although DCL was in no way in bad shape, just a few signs of her age.

The entertainment was good, I'm not a big fan of the production shows, but everything else was very good, and the ice show was amaizing!

the ports on that itinerary are awesome! I wasn't as pleased with Puerto Rico, the people were great, it was the costs of the food, transportation, hotel etc. were expensive. However, it was just one night, so not a reason not do go again!

Here is a link to a post I had on another board, so I don't know if I can post it here, but it is where I answered questions about my AOS cruise last year and alot about comparisons to DCL. If the post doesn't show up, send me a PM and I will send it to you.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=507342

I was on in December 04 and found the AOS wonderful. The entertainment was great, just not well attended. The original Drifters were the Headlines and gave a great show.

The Cruise Director Ashley Kerr was warm and gracious. Enjoy your cruise.

thanks to everyone for putting my mind at ease.

As for the question -do we have rude locals here? YES and YES on DCL also. It just seemed some of the posters had the experience where their entire trip was ruined by a group taking over the ship and that concerned me.

It's good to hear so many people did enjoy their AOS cruise. Sounds like I should quit worrying

Thanks for good and bad comments--I appreciate everyone's opinion and sometimes it is best to know some things may not be great, but you can still have a great time.

Beth

Are the entertainers always different? Will you be able to find out ahead of time who the entertainment is?

Does anyone have any recent compasses they can share?

thanks again

Beth

Let me see no cooking, no cleaning, no laundry, no running kids like a taxi for a week. No work , no mother in law...need I continune? If you get a icky server change tables, worried about rude people? Heavens to betsy - I live with 2 teenagers - talk about rude!

What I am getting at is sure every meal may not be perfectly the right temp and the Windjammer may be busy but what the heck you are sailing in Paradise. Worried about the shows? I get too busy having fun I forget to go to the shows.

Relax , have fun , be pampered...I can't believe I have to wait until March 6 to sail the AOS. I may not survive waiting that long.

Don't worry!

this is regarding the JS on the hump that you had to stand up to see out to the ocean. Were you on deck 6?? I've heard that the walls of the balconies are made out of metal on deck 6. We were in an owners suite on deck 10 on the hump and we had no problem looking out while sitting down.

By the way we loved the aos, so much so we're going again in feb and taking my mother in law who has never cruised. I also love Disney which we've done twice, the ships are completely different but we liked them both, although we found the people on the aos were more friendly. Some of the people on disney were very pushy and we didn't have any trouble on the aos.

hard to describe...the balconies are kind of cut-outs...like they are completely surrounded by walls....there is glass under the railing......they look just like the pictures in the brochure...or you can look at my pix...copy & paste the address below....you can see out but to see left or right you have to lean...does that makle sense??? we liked it....we were opposite a princess ship and didn't like that you could see all the stuff...and theirs are stepped on some decks...so if you were being mean you could, say take target practice on the decks below!!! LOL!!!! just kidding.....

we didn't have trouble seeing.