Canaletto question

kenito799

I am sure this has been explained before but I tried to search the forum and couldn't find all the answers.

We will be sailing on the Veendam to Bermuda next year, our second cruise on the Veendam, but the first was before as you wish dining and the Canaletto concept.

--is there a charge for dining in Canaletto?

--is tipping expected in Canaletto? How much?

--are reservations required or is it possible to walk in?

Thanks!

--no extra change for Canaletto

--tipping is optional, but I would not say expected, but of course nice. Amount varies depending on the service and if you get something extra done.

--reservations are best, but yes we have also had luck later in the evening and just asked for a table and it was not a problem.

Hope this helps.

I have one more question, where do you make the reservation? We are on the Eurodam in Jan

The only time we've eaten in Canaletto we just walked up and asked for a table, and luckily got one as it was a very popular place. But, if you are in an SA/SB/SC suite, I believe you can ask the concierge in the Neptune Lounge to make the reservation for you. I think the SS/SY cabins can do the phone concierge thing. But I do know there is also a number to call from your cabin that you can use to make the reservations -- same as reservations for other dining options. I don't remember the number, but it should be in the info in the cabin, or listed in the daily program.

You presumably could also make one in person with the maitre d', but only when he was there in the evening, of course. Maybe you could drop by early in the evening and reserve a later time, or you could reserve for a future date. But, the phone or concierge is probably is the best way to go.

Dave

Canaletto was extremely popular on our just-completed Oosterdam 16-nt TransAtlantic. We had dinner there three times! Food was excellent, and the service was very good.

The only thing we did not like is that one evening we showed up at our reservation time, and the host said we would have to wait an unknown length of time until a table cleared ... unless we wanted to join another table already there. All the tables were full, and Canaletto had opened only half an hour previously, so it would have been a much longer wait than we'd expected having made a reservation. Fortunately, people we knew waved us in and we joined them.

I guess the moral of the story is to make a reservation for "x" people and request a table for that same number of people...

• 1 month later...

Is the dress code for the Canaletto the same as the main dining room or is it more casual like the Lido? In other words - if it is a formal night in the MDR is it also formal in the Canaletto? Our upcoming cruise on the Rotterdam will be the first time we have experienced this new dining option.

Canaletto Menu

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Our chef’s selection of antipasti, cucumber and olives

Insalata Canaletto – Seasonal greens and tomato, cucumber and olives

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron

PASTA, CARNE, PESCE e POLLO

Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables

Chicken Marsala Scaloppini – Tender Scallops of chicken breast glazed with Marsala wine. Served with linguini pasta tossed with tomato and roasted garlic

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti

DOLCI

Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Limoncello Crème – Refreshing crème topped with Tuscan lemon liqueur

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemon

Archived