Live from ... Cruise Critic's Caribbean Kick-Off on Crown Princess (11/7 - 14)

Dan Askin

Hi Dan-

If you get a chance to post the MDR's theme nights and/or menus that would be great. We are on the Jan. 2nd Crown sailing with our 12 & 14 year old kids. Could you check out their 2 groups to see which night they can eat with their kid's clubs, so we can book the Crown Grill for me and my husband?

If you can post some of the 8-12 & 13-17 activity sheets later as well... I/d love it.

Thanks for all your postings!

I've asked Princess for MDR menus, and will be talking "dining" Friday (sea day). I'll also be putting up some of the menus and what not when I get back ... so I'll add activity sheets to the list.

Princess Cays is Princess Cruises "private" island in the Bahamas. It's not really an island -- actually a 40-acre palm-treed parcel owned by Princess, located on the southern part of the Bahamian island of Eleuthera.

The ship anchors and you take a 10-minute tender (plus waiting in line) to get to Princess Cays. Basically, the experience is a beach day at what feels very much like a land-based resort. There are the three thatched-roof bars with coconut heads (one with a live duo), the BBQ lunch buffet with burgers, dogs and chicken, some tourist T-shirt and shell-type shops, plenty of sun loungers, clamshell-style sun tents ($24 a day, although some folks were squatting in them after the original occupants left), a row of air conditioned bungalows (at $200 a pop for the day), water sports equipment to rent (jet skis, banana boats, kayaks, paddle wheelers, Hobie Cat sailboats, snorkel gear) and a kids play area with pool.

There are also a few shops selling what's been described as local crafts (straw bags) and a spot to get your hair braided (minus the hard sell) -- but remember, the local vendors only accept cash. All other purchases, like water sports stuff and booze, are tied into your shipboard account.

Princess-Cays-01.jpg

Some of the beach and water sport stuff available to rent. Aqua Bike ($29 for a half hour; one-person ocean kayak $19 for half an hour). Have a full price list if anyone is interested.

Princess-Cays-02.jpg

These are some of the multi-colored, Bahamas-style private bungalos ... $200 gets you the air conditioned hut, some reserved loungers out front and a dedicated person who will bring you food (free) and booze (extra). One complaint I heard from some folks I talked to: It gets a little tight in the hut, so keep the group size to a moderate number.

We are doing the Crown Dec 12-19 itinerary so we will follow your postings. We did a 14 day Crown in Feb 2008. We were on board for a tour and lunch the last day the Crown was in Halifax (Oct 28). So we were fortunate to get a little pre-cruise fix six weeks in advance. Here's a few shots we took on board.

IMG_0485.jpg.04f1aae2b21fb5e5c6f588d564f4f1c2.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg.73ad8aff77e17631491282bb8bf0fbbb.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg.1e2236bcce839ef40d3142df978e688f.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg.2853b9307c075578712c02fa209179c0.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg.67e84f22fdcace56d248f4b7d50ffe6a.jpg

Here's the only person I really saw dancing on Princess Cays (at the Banana Beach bar). A thought on the dancefloor desolation, which had nothing to do with the excellent duo (wailing late 50's, early 60's R&B as I wandered in). While the last tender back is at 3:30 p.m., the bars are only open until 1:30 p.m., so there just isn't all that much time for people to "put on their dancing shoes" (imbibe). He declined to be interviewed for this caption; he was too busy smacking his hands together.

Princess-Cays-06.jpg

Left to right we have Colleen, Andy, Gary and Mary, a foursome from the Los Angeles area who decided to go with the mobile bar approach. They brought a bottle of red, bottle of white, and headed north past the loungers and bungalows, jet skis and aquabikes. At the northern end of Princess Cays, the pumice-like coral and limestone -- the more natural state of the beach -- is really accentuated.

Princess-Cays-03.jpg

Like the north end of Princess Cays, the south end is a good choice for those looking to avoid the throngs. Makes for a nice walk ... wander down the beach (with sandals of course, again the coral), and hear the bar music and chatter fall away. Bring your beach towels if you want to set up shop down this way ... the rows of loungers end well before the beach does.

Princess-Cays-09.jpg

Another panorama of Princess Cays. Note the colorful sails -- experienced sailors can rent them out (two-man, $39 per boat, per hour; three-man, $54 per boat for an hour); the uninitiated can take an hour-long sailing lesson ($179 for lesson and boat for two people).

Princess-Cays-10.jpg

Princess Cays food comes in the form of an all-you-can-eat BBQ buffet. Got your grilled chicken sandwich, corn salad and knockwurst (with entirely too much mustard; really, Dan, that's just indulgent). One drink note: If you pick up a soda card on the ship, the "coke stickers" are not valid on the island.

Princess-Cays-04.jpg

Pelican Perch is the enclosed kids area, complete with galleon-shaped jungle gym. There's a little pool, too, but Princess says it's not part of the line's kids' program -- so parents are responsible for supervising. Place was pretty empty ... attendant had the sleepy eyes ... there just aren't that many kids on our non-school holiday, non-summer vacation sailing.

Princess-Cays-05.jpg

The mass exodus back to the ship started around 1:30 p.m. (ship leaves at 4 p.m.). Not a coincidence -- it's when the BBQ ends and they stop serving booze. Beyond benefiting the sailors, it also didn't help that we had a pretty windy day in port.

Princess-Cays-07.jpg

The clamshell sun tents are $24 a day to rent, accurate as of this posting. When unused, they're folded up, secured by lock (guy comes around to unlock after you pony up). But definitely some squatting going on ... people pouncing after the original occupants packed up and left.

Princess-Cays-08.jpg

Dan

Thank you very much for taking the time to upload these photos and describe your cruise for us...I still have 2 1/2 months to go for my cruise and now I can't wait with anticipation. Thanks for the gym photos I appreciate it. Can't wait to read more as the week progresses. Hope the weather is decent for you. In the previous posts some mentioned sand flees ...is that something we need to worry about on Princess Cays?

Mimi

Is Giovanni, the head waiter, onboard? He was on the Crown in March and he is a fantastic guy. I am hoping he will be there for our December 5th cruise.

Another question is what kind of bug spray or repellant is supposed to work the best for the dreaded sand fleas in Roatan? I thought maybe someone would have some advice on this as I want to be prepared and am not looking forward to being covered in itchy red spots :eek:

One more question - what movies are playing onboard?

I am looking forward to your reports from the Crown. Thank you for taking the time to keep us all updated :)

Hi TwinCruiserMom,

Which restaurant did Giovanni work in?

Thanks,

Dan

I will be on the same cruise starting 12.12.09. Do you have any idea which nights are formal nights?

Hi DC,

VP of public relations tells me that formal nights for this particular seven-night Western Caribbean itinerary are on Sundays and Wednesday -- the first sea day and then after a port day. We've had a minor adjustment due to Hurricane Ida, so ours are tomorrow (Monday, at sea) and Wednesday (in Roatan). Just the nature of cruising during hurricane season, not that too many passengers seem bothered by the change. In fact, very few passengers I've talked to know much about Ida at all.

Sorry to keep going on about this, but there's one interesting side effect of our itinerary change: Instead of visiting Grand Cayman on Monday along with ZERO other major cruise ships, we'll now be sharing space on Tuesday with three Carnival ships (Legend, Valor, Destiny) and a Celebrity ship (Infinity). That's an extra 10,000-plus passengers to contend with! The stingrays will be well fed.

I'm so excited to ready your posts. Will you be doing Anytime or Traditional Dining? If you notice line dancing in the patters could you please report back day and times that you see it?

Thanks and have a wonderful cruise

Signed up for Personal Choice Dining, and will be keeping things fresh. Tonight we ate in Sabatini's, yesterday it was the main dining room (DaVinci) and for the rest of the week, we'll try the Crown Grill, Cafe Caribe (the nightly themed buffet), formal night in the MDR, etc. They tell me line dancing is on the docket, but I haven't seen it yet in the patters...

looking forward to your reports.... we sail Jan 9th

Questions from us:

Who is the Passenger Services Director now that James Deering is gone?

Roatan -- we were going to do Fins and Flipper but since the price has jumped so much we are looking for a beach option and curious about what you are doing there.

Embarkation Seafood Buffet in Horizon court -- did the Crown do it?

thanks

Vickie

As another poster indicated, the ship no longer features the sailaway seafood buffet (with the lobster claws, etc.).

Hi Dan! So exciting to hear from you on this thread, as we will be on the Crown for Thanksgiving. I have a couple of questions:

Last year many of the tapas in the International Cafe were cost items. As it was confusing for many, can you clarify which items are paid for, and which are free? Are the sushi in Vines also gratis?

We hear there is a self-serve soft serve for free on board. True? Where is it?

You mention that Adagios is a Cognac and Cigar bar. Has it become a smoking lounge? (oh yuck) Do they still serve the tiramasu martini? Who is bartending there? That was our fave hangout last year.

thanks

Marianne

Last year many of the tapas in the International Cafe were cost items. As it was confusing for many, can you clarify which items are paid for, and which are free? Are the sushi in Vines also gratis?

We hear there is a self-serve soft serve for free on board. True? Where is it?

Gelato/ice cream at the International Cafe is $1.50 for 3 scoops, everything else is free.

The CD mentioned on the morning program that sushi in Vines is free.

Soft-serve ice cream is free - it is right next to the pizzeria on Deck 15 near the pool. It is not self-serve. It is available from 11-11.

Hi TwinCruiserMom,

Which restaurant did Giovanni work in?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for all the info thus far! I am enjoying the pictures too :)

Giovanni was working the traditional dining room as head waiter in March, but he could be in any of them if he is onboard. I saw him walking through Michelangelo several times while we were dining. He also supervised up in the Horizon during lunch sometimes. I am sure he is well known.

Dan,

Do you know what was on the first night's buffet since it is no longer a big seafood buffet? Do they still have the prime rib? How about the cocktail shrimp?

I like to skip the dining room on the first night and the sailaway buffet has always been very good. I am hoping that even though they cut out the lobster claws and crab legs that they still have some other good choices.

Thanks!

Have to head off asap for a meeting with Princess folks, then the Cruise Critic party at Skywalker's at 11, but just wanted to offer a couple of quick tips:

*For the gym-goers, the water fountains are a bit tough to find. They're on either side of the semi-circular fitness class space -- but they were also serving up lukewarm water (blach). However ... if you exit the gym on the port side and walk down a little corridor, you'll find the spa reception area ... and a nice mini-water cooler with ice water (plus, the cooler is lined with lemons and oranges, so you get a little citrus zing there, too).

*If you're planning to bring your gadgets on Crown Princess -- iPhone, laptop, camera, etc. -- it's a good idea to bring a mini-power strip. My mini-suite (D509, dolphin deck) has one European outlet near the entrance, one "shavers only" outlet in the bathroom and just two US three-prongers near the bed. Problem is that the three-prongers are set so close to one another that I can't simultaneously fit, say, my cell phone charger with my laptop charger. Everything must be charged one at a time ... obviously there are worse things that can happen in life (walking around with a melted pillow chocolate attached to your shirt is pretty embarrassing), but just wanted to give a heads up.

Hello again, Dan,

Sorry to be such a pest, but there is a thread here on the boards with conflicting information regarding the Ultimate Beverage stickers which include soda, mocktails, juice, etc.

If possible, would you check with someone and let us know what exactly is covered. What sodas are available? Which juices and where can you get them? Are milkshakes still available now that the ice cream shop no longer charges and there is free soft serve? And the big question, which seems to change by ship, can anyone buy the sticker or is it only for those under 21?

When I was on the Crown in March, you had to be 21 or under to purchase this card, but there are some ships that are allowing everyone to purchase them now. This may be a good fit for me as I am not a big drinker and I LOVE the frozen mocktails.

Hopefully someone onboard can give you a list of what is covered with the Ultimate sticker and then we will all know exactly what to expect.

Thank you so much for all of the on-the-spot information!!!

Hey Dan, quick question on the fitness center subject: When I was last on a Princess ship, the gym's ceiling was so low, I couldn't use the elliptical trainer without ducking my head. Have they raised the ceiling (or lowered the cardio machines) so six feet and taller people can use the gym on Crown Princess? Or is the ceiling still pretty low.

Hi Dan. Thanks for all the info you've provided so far - we're cruising on the Crown on January 9 and this report is making everything sound even more exciting :D:D

If you do get a chance at the end of the week, I'd also like to see some sample Patters (even if it's not every days). We've selected 2nd seating dinner and are hoping we won't miss too much by eating at a set time, but if it looks like we miss a lot, we may switch to anytime dining...

Can you also comment on what options there were for lunch on embarkation day? Buffet, poolside grill, main restaurant, etc? Thanks!!

Archived