Zim Lines - SS Zion - Locating Information on 60's cruise to New York

IsraelS

I have searched but cannot locate information about the SS Zion. I am fairly certain that was the name of a boat that landed in New York after a 2 week journey from Haifa, Israel, on April 20, 1964, with a stopover in Madeira, Spain.

I am not 100% certain of the boat's name, but the range of possibilities is small (other choice was SS Israel, but this is right, I think), and the date is certain. Is there any way I can obtain pertinent information, such as the correct name of the boat, the precise time it docked, and anything else available concerning it (perhaps even brochures?)

Thank you.

Israel quote.gif

Someone told me that the NY Times used to have announcements of ships arriving the prior day. So the NY Times of April 21, 1964 should have something. But on the Web, the NY Times doesn't show the paper anymore, only articles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'll still hanging. Does anyone have more information?

The SS Zion's last name was Dolphin 4 and cruised for Dolphin Cruise Lines before it was finally sold to Port Canaveral Cruises. When this ship was cruising out of Miami for Dolphin during the 80's and early 90's, my wife and I cruised on her about 4 times. The itinerary was 3 or 4 night to Nassau. The ship was finally layed up in the Bahamas because the ballast and fuel tanks rusted off at the tops and repair was deemed too expensive.

If you follow this link and ready down near the bottom, you will see a photo of the ship beached in Alang, India in 2003 before she was cut up.

http://www.maritimematters.com/mall_alang_pk.html

Here is another site prepared by a musician who served onboard and loved the ship...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=92329140&blogId=249065303

Also, another site with postcards and history of this ship...

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Dolphin-IV.html

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

The New York Times Shipping lists for April 20-21, 1964, show that Zion (Zim-Israel) arrived on April 20, having sailed from Haifa on April 5. The ship was to dock at Canal St. Zion was due to sail for Haifa on April 24.

New York Times, April 19, 1964, Shipping--Mails, p. 86.

New York Times, April 20, 1964, Shipping--Mails, p. 58.

April 20, 1964 was a busy day in New York harbor. The United States and Queen Elizabeth, among others, also arrived that day.

Andy

• 11 months later...
The New York Times Shipping lists for April 20-21, 1964, show that Zion (Zim-Israel) arrived on April 20, having sailed from Haifa on April 5. The ship was to dock at Canal St. Zion was due to sail for Haifa on April 24.

New York Times, April 19, 1964, Shipping--Mails, p. 86.

New York Times, April 20, 1964, Shipping--Mails, p. 58.

April 20, 1964 was a busy day in New York harbor. The United States and Queen Elizabeth, among others, also arrived that day.

Andy

Is this information available online?

I am also trying to find a boat, not sure of exact dates, from Haifa to New York in Spring 1961, with stops in Gibraltar and Italy.

I was on the Zion from Haifa to NY, arrived in NY on February 14, 1962. Ship stopped in Naples, Marseilles, Gibralter and then NY. The ship experience very rough sees after leaving Marseilles and again before approaching Gibralter.

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing about shipping or cruises but I hope someone may be able to help me out with this. Any clues would be much appreciated.

I have in my possession a sterling silver dish. It looks like the sort of thing that may have been given to passengers on a cruise. Honestly, buy the style of it, I would say it's nog that old. Probably not more than 20 years old. Stamped 925 and IGCMC. On the bottom of the bowl is depicted a ship, a plane, container being lifted off a flat bed truck, and a ship. All this encircled by a quote from Proverbs, "like the merchants ships...from afar". This leads me to believe that this may have been produced for a special anniversary of their cargo company.

Thanks,

Chaya

• 1 year later...

I am trying to find out any information that I can on the SS Zion which left Haifa April 20, 1956 and arrived in NY somewhere around the 5th of May 1956. My mother arrived on that ship and as we all know that when we are young we could care less about family history. Now, having a child of my own and my mother passing 26 Years ago, I want a history lesson and no one is left. I don't know anything so even the littlest bit would help. I found out the ship from Ancestory.com free census they had. Can anyone fill me in please?

Archived