Question for Aussie Gal?

Kiwi Kruzer

Sorry, I'm not Jennie - but I have been on both the Statendam and the Amsterdam.

The Amsterdam is a substantially larger ship than the Statendam - she's basically a sister to the current Rotterdam. However, one of the things that the designers have managed to do is to preserve the general layout of the ships from the one class to the other. So if you're familiar with one, you will soon learn your way around the other. There are really few differences between them as to where the important public rooms are.

They're both good ships. I think my best cruise ever was on the Statendam at Christmas 1997, and I had a great time also on the Amsterdam in March 2001. Made good friends on both, with whom I'm still in touch. But that of course is the thing that really makes or breaks a cruise - the people on board.

Hi David,

I have been on the Maasdam which is the sister ship to the Statendam and we are going again on her in July. It is a great size ship, not too big and not too small with about 1200 passengers.

It has some lovely lounge areas and our favourite is the Crows Nest right at the top at the front of the ship.

The dining room is a beautiful room with two levels and there are four different times for dinner commencing I think at 5.45pm and then 6.15pm, 8.00pm and then 8.30pm. The top level of the dining room is for the 5.45pm and 8.00pm diners and the lower level is for the 6.15pm and 8.30pm diners. The dining room is at the back of the ship and has huge windows overlooking the sea. There is also the Pinnacle Grill which is the alternate dining room which costs $10US per head on the first night and then $20US per head after that. I believe it is good food and worth the money, though a lot say that the steak in the dining room is just as good.

There is also the Lido which is the buffet during the day for breakfast and for lunch but at night there is table service and apparently it is a nice way to dine if you don't want the formality of the dining room or you are too tired to go there after a long day on shore. Breakfast is served in three places. The Dining Room, the Lido and in one's cabin. Unlike Princess you can order a hot breakfast and it does come hot! We love our breakfast in our room on days of excursions.

The cabins are all a good size. The verandahs, both A and B are exactly the same as the C and D's, E's and F's except a balcony has been added. The only difference between the A and the B's is the location. I think that most of the cabins are around 190ft sq. The suites are lovely and are very roomy but they come at a price and I think a verandah is expensive enough for us poor aussies to lash out though my sister has just come back from the Amsterdam in Antarctica and had a suite. I think she is ruined for life now!

I love the wrap around teak deck and the swimming pool with the removable roof for windy or cold days. The Maasdam and the Statendam are lovely ships with loads of fresh flowers and beautiful paintings on board.

I hope I have answered some of your questions. Ask away if you have any questions regarding the ship or HAL.

Jennie

Archived