pictures of progreso?

stephic411

Anyone have pictures that they took while in progreso? good or bad pictures :D? That they would be willing to post or send a link to?

I am getting a little scared about progreso from all the bad reviews:mad:

I am still excited though regardless!

I am in the process of uploading some Progresso pics... I too was VERY hesitant of stopping here but we did and had a GREAT time.... We went in July. Hubby, Bro in law, myself, kiddo 12 and kiddo 9. We had no plans on doing an excursion. We got off at the market and found LOTS of peddling and such. This was a huge eye opener for all of us. Someone had to go to the bathroom and there was a lady handing out 'squares' of toilet paper.. HA. Bathrooms were back behind the warrior type people. In the market to the left back, we found a guy advertising for his own excursion. I was a little hesitant but.... HE was AWESOME. We did the salt flats and then some ruins and finished with beach break, not sure of name. The ships charge for exact same was close to 45 per person. He charged us 15 each and kiddo 9 was free. There were about 5 others who went with us.

He told us about the history and YES the place is a dump but it is a poverty country. The kids were amazed how people lived and it made us reflect a lot. We stopped at the flamingo salt flats and took pics, just pulled off to the side of road. 5min... Then to the ruins. We were the only people there. I really dont know where we were but it took about 30+min to get there. They were absolutely beautiful. We were there for an hour or so. Then we went to a private beach. Beach was rocky but nice. The best part was the pool and the MASSAGES. Get massages here vs. cozumel bc there is a HUGE price difference. We got 3 1hr massages for 45$. My kiddo9 thought this was too cool.

We didn't venture too far from the market. There was a guy who had no legs and was strapped to a wooded chair...he hobbled. Very sad. The hat people were awesome and there were people selling whole fish on the street. I WOULD NOT wander on your own.

All in all... we had a GREAT time. This is not a luxury destination so take that into mind. Do research and have fun. I wish I could find the email of the guy we used. We enjoyed it!

I tried not to add too many people pics.

We didn't venture too far from the market. There was a guy who had no legs and was strapped to a wooded chair...he hobbled. Very sad. The hat people were awesome and there were people selling whole fish on the street. I WOULD NOT wander on your own.

Haha ok this may be wrong but I actually laughed out loud at that part.

Thanks for the advise though it really helped! :o

Well, this was my first cruise and I wasn't aware how fast excursions sold out, so..venturing out on out own was our excursion.

We went through the market where the bus drops you off and then started walking. We saw the beach on the way in and thought that the whole thing was the beach excursion, we didn't know only part of it was and that the rest was public, so we walked away from the beach through town. It was very interresting seeing what it is like for the locals. We even went through a grocery store and an appliance store, just to see what it was like. We had a great time just doing this and a few margaritas back at a little bar near the ship. We never felt like it was unsafe at all. Everyone seemed really nice and friendly.:)

"I WOULD NOT wander on your own."

I have wondered around the back streets of Merida and Progreso all hours of the day and night by myself. I have never once felt threatened or the least bit uncomfortable. The Merida/Progreso area has the lowest crime rate in all of Mexico. Learn a little Spanish (it's just being polite), use the normal precautions and common sense and you can have a wonderful time in Progreso and the Merida area.

Again, Traveler said it all. Merida and Progreso are very safe. I've traveled throughout the Yucatan state (cities and rural villages) and never had the slightest uneasyness. Just possibly safer than at home. The people are warm and friendly though language is a bit awkward.

Again, Traveler said it all. Merida and Progreso are very safe. I've traveled throughout the Yucatan state (cities and rural villages) and never had the slightest uneasyness. Just possibly safer than at home. The people are warm and friendly though language is a bit awkward.

hdawson: I think that the Yucatan Chamber of Commerce should put us on their payroll. I am counting the days until I can move down there. I know that I sound lika a cheerleader for the Merida/Progreso area. I actually feel sorry for the tourist that go down and bad mouth it because it is not like some other manufatured cruise ship port or that they do things differently than back home. The one thing that I am afraid of is that it will change. All things change, but it will be a shame when major changes come to Progeso and the surrounding area. OK off my soap box for the day.:)

We were there last year...second week in Dec...going again this year...same week even...we took the double decker tour ( highly recomend )...and then we wandered over a good part of the town...would've went farther, but my father in law wasnt feeling too well, so we went to the beach...I must say, we never felt uneasy or anything of the sort...and plan on seeing more of the town this trip, maybe try out some of my pittifully inadequate spanish ( been 32 years since high school spanish class ...but I still can manage some of it )...I'd like to be able to visit more with the locals...so I'll be honing up on my english/spanish dictionary....just hope they dont think I'm too much of an idiot..or as they say...loco en mi cabeza!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...
hdawson: I think that the Yucatan Chamber of Commerce should put us on their payroll. I am counting the days until I can move down there. I know that I sound lika a cheerleader for the Merida/Progreso area. I actually feel sorry for the tourist that go down and bad mouth it because it is not like some other manufatured cruise ship port or that they do things differently than back home. The one thing that I am afraid of is that it will change. All things change, but it will be a shame when major changes come to Progeso and the surrounding area. OK off my soap box for the day.:)

My #1 reason for liking Progreso so much..it is still very authentic feeling

• 2 weeks later...
I actually feel sorry for the tourist that go down and bad mouth it because it is not like some other manufatured cruise ship port or that they do things differently than back home. The one thing that I am afraid of is that it will change. All things change, but it will be a shame when major changes come to Progeso and the surrounding area.

Agree 200%! A real town with very nice people who are proud of their heritage. We loved Progreso and the old buildings, the people and the true flavor of a Yucatecan town. It is indeed a lot better than "manuactured cruise ship ports" such as the Costa Maya pier...build to the detriment of other local businesses... We are going on this cruise because it stops in Progreso and are looking forward to just walking around int the town, this time. Stephic, we are on the same cruise. I have a few pictures of Progreso if you would like to e-mail me at josette at jemenfous dot com.

• 2 weeks later...
Progreso is great.

Here are a number from the town area:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/fantasy_c_07/progreso/p.htm

and Uxaml:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Blog_2009/prog/indexProg.htm

Just one question. What camera did you use to take those beautiful pictures!? I have a cruise going there in March and I plan on taking a lot of picture.

Archived