Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fleuve51

important info to keep healthy while cruising

My husband & I just got off the Coral panama 10 day cruise.

We had a great time, as always.

I want to pass on important info that we all should be aware of.

1) the Norwalk virus affected about 100 people, while we were on board.

There was no self service in the buffet line, all public washroom doors were left open, no munchies at the bars, and hand sanitisers everywhere.

The staff wore masks, and massive cleaning procedures took place until the numbers started decreasing. another doctor was flown in to help handle the deluge of patients.

All to say, that careful handwashing is the best prevention.

2)several (4) diapered babies were always in the main pool, despite my complaining to the pool attendents and cruise staff.

Within an few hours, there was POOP floating in the pool.

The survivor pool game was about to start, so the cd scooped it out, did the game, then the pool was closed for the day!!

This is unacceptable.

3) a word of caution about coral.

My husband( who had just taken off his water shoes) sraped his big to on coral, while getting back on the snorkeling boat.

Within 2 hours, it was red ,swollen and sore.

Down to the doctors the next day, where 4 pieces of embedded coral were removed. He was started on antibiotics, given a tetanus shot and the toe was bandaged. No more pool for him.

Next time, we will not go in the ocean without those water shoes.

All to say, we must be informed travellers>

We have done 30 cruises, and love it. Can't wait to cruise again soon!!

LiLi2

LiLi2, thanks for the heads up. I am not surprised by the diapered babies and poop in the pool, as DH and I have witnessed the very same thing many times. This is one reason why we do not get in the pool where children are allowed. Contracting E. Coli can be a life threatening illness. For more info on E. Coli, here's a good site for info:

http://www.ppciusa.com/healthri.htm

We're going on a cruise in a couple of weeks. We carry toilet seat covers, bacterial wipes, etc., on every cruise we go on. So far, our preps have paid off.

Thanks again!

2)several (4) diapered babies were always in the main pool, despite my complaining to the pool attendents and cruise staff.

Within an few hours, there was POOP floating in the pool.

The survivor pool game was about to start, so the cd scooped it out, did the game, then the pool was closed for the day!!

This is unacceptable.

UNACCEPTALBE isn't putting it strongly enough. How gross is that? OMG I think I would have been a lot more upset about something like this then you were.

Lili2, I wrote a letter to Carnival about this problem and the only response I got was "we will look into it." I also mentioned it to the security people and I got the shrugging of the shoulder. Sounds like you got the same reaction as we did. I got to thinking that the security people don't want to make waves with the parents because the kiddies are having such a good time. Do you think a few photographs or videos sent to health officials would make a difference? One especially of the cruise staff scooping the poop out of the water?

elliair,

I so agree with you.

I only got staff saying that they didn't want to UPSET the parents, by asking them to get their babies out of the pool.

I told the pursers desk as well as the doctor's office on board.

I told so many people and no one would listen--didn't know what else to do!

I hope more people complain when they see diapered children using the pool.

LiLi2

Those kiddies and their parents won't be having a good time if they get ill and possibly die! Neither will you or I or anyone else who gets sick after such an exposure. Elliair is right-E-Coli can be a killer!!! If you have not already done so send your photo to Carnival Headquarters, to Princess, and to the Health Department. This laissez faire attitude must be put to a stop NOW!! Too bad if a few parents are inconvenienced or little ones disappointed!

Lili---Make sure you keep on treating your DH's toe. I had a coral scratch once and it took about 6 months to finally heel. I had to put hydrogen pyroxide on the wound 3 times a day for freakin ever!!! There are little organisms that live in the coral and they set up house keeping on your skin and do not want to leave!! :o

I'm taking a few disposable cameras with me on the cruise, one never knows what one can capture on film. ;)

Lil...We had heard that there was poop in the pool but did not know the details. i used the adult pool, which I really enjoyed. I do agree that the survivor game should not have continued. There should be an age limit on the pool so we do not have to worry about babies in diapers! Sorry to hear about your husbands foot. That could happen anywhere that there is coral and it is best to keep on the water shoes. Keep an eye on it and I hope it heals soon.

I find it absolutely disgusting that any cruiseline would allow these little fecal teabags to contaminate a pool.:mad: One would think that their parents had more sense.....apparently not.

I don't have children, so this question if more out of curiosity's sake than anything else. Do swim diapers make a difference? If not, what is the point of having swim diapers??

It is a proven fact that leakage from a baby's diaper into a pool has caused ecoli!!! I was involved in management of a property with a pool, and we were extremely strict. We did provide small kiddie pools for the babies to splash around in, and they were emptied in the rest rooms. I will not swim in public pools for this reason. Cruise ships are leaving themselves open for a possible law suit. Ecoli is not an easy thing to treat.

Thanks for the advice.

I will keep a close watch on my husband's toe!

The doctor on board seemed a bit surprised to see that it was so infected!

Looks better, will keep our fingers crossed!

LiLi2

LiLi2-Definitely keep a close eye on the DH. I got several coral cuts last trip to Tahiti, the tinest one was on my index finger, so small it was almost impossible to see. I thought it was healing just fine when two weeks later I woke up with my finger swollen twice it's size. :eek: With Anitbiotics, the infection was better and the swelling went down in about 48 hours, but it was soooooooooo sore.

Hope he heals quickly!