Getting to Cayo Levantado Beach...

redheaney

Without going through the cruiseline?

$49 pp through NCL... $100 (for the two of us) seems a little expensive for just a boat ride, no? :rolleyes: Unless I'm missing something and there is more to the excursion?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I felt the same way and while researching this excursion I found you could take a public ferry to Cayo Levantando so we skipped booking the excursion. Here was the catch though.......we got off the ship and tried a few ferry companies and none of them would take us to Cayo Levantando since NCL seemed to have booked it all?! So we took a taxi, to a beach with a small sign that said "Playa Nadal" and had an amazing day. We could see Cayo Levantando and all the tender ships going back and forth and were so relieved we didn't go there. Too busy with too many people (and too expensive). At Playa Nadal there was a small bar, beautiful restaurant, and one little structure with souvenirs. We are most likely going to Samana on next year's cruise and will certainly return to this little gem.

I believe we paid $20 per person roundtrip. The taxi driver sets a time and will come back to pick you up. I think Presidente beers were like $2 each. There is a beach volleyball court. You can rent lounges and umbrellas for a few bucks. And just above the beach is an open aired, palapa roofed restaurant. We had an amazing lunch. Plantains stuffed with seafood, a shrimp dish and a deep fried fish. And this great coconut ice cream dessert. Turned into one of the best ports of the cruise. We had read horrible reviews of the port so decided to not book anything and just set low expectations and play it by ear. But the reviews were wrong in my opinion and we had a great day. (I will try to attach pics or if you want to give me your email address I can email you a few).

Yeah, I am not to tech savvy and don't know how to post pics here.....sorry!

I think it is kid friendly. It was very clean and there couldn't have been more than 20 people on the beach total (all NCL cruisers it turned out), so it was very mellow. We basically turned downed all the aggressive cab drivers selling beaches featuring waterfalls and horseback riding near the dock. We went with a polite/quiet taxi driver and this is where we ended up. Just lucked out :) But I would say it is family friendly. There was only one vendor on the beach, and she had a little structure. So if you wanted anything, you went to her. No one bothering you on the beach trying to sell you souvenirs, hair braiding or massages. The bar was teeny tiny. No music blaring. Relaxing...

I believe we paid $20 per person roundtrip. The taxi driver sets a time and will come back to pick you up. I think Presidente beers were like $2 each. There is a beach volleyball court. You can rent lounges and umbrellas for a few bucks. And just above the beach is an open aired, palapa roofed restaurant. We had an amazing lunch. Plantains stuffed with seafood, a shrimp dish and a deep fried fish. And this great coconut ice cream dessert. Turned into one of the best ports of the cruise. We had read horrible reviews of the port so decided to not book anything and just set low expectations and play it by ear. But the reviews were wrong in my opinion and we had a great day. (I will try to attach pics or if you want to give me your email address I can email you a few).

Yeah, I am not to tech savvy and don't know how to post pics here.....sorry!

Hi my wife and I are from San Diego and will be there in a couple weeks...if you could, please email me some pictures. Thanks

levi760@gmail.com

Hi hbsurfcitycruiser,

This sounds wonderful. Is Playa Nadal by any chance the same as Playa Anadel? I've found several online references to "Playa Anadel" in Samana. Just want to make sure there's no confusion when I ask a taxi driver to take us to your beach!

Thanks for the tip!

Hi, just back from the Jewel..We did the Cayo Lev through NCL....Too expensive for a boat ride there...Wouldn't do it again. Beach was nice but not worth thr $100 (almost) and no food. We bought a snack each for $6.00 p/p...Take a cabe for $20 p/p r/trip.

Have a good cruise.

Just got back from being on the NCL Pearl and we did the Cayo Levantado excursion. The beach was so beautiful and the snorkeling was great. We aren't for spending a lot of money, but this excursion was relaxing and beautiful. I think it was worth the money.

Sorry! I was on a 2 day cruise to nowhere this weekend and away from my computer. I will email pics this evening. And I wish I knew if they were the same beach. I am the queen on googling and internet research and I cannot find this beach online to save me. But hopefully the pics and descriptions will get you there via taxi. And please feel free to post the pics on the this thread. I wish I was more savvy to do so myself :)

Good Evening All!

I just emailed pics to those of you who provided email addresses. Sorry for the late hour, I am on the west coast and had to work late. I hope the pics are helpful. I sent about 18 and have some more if needed.

Thanks,

Kelli

send me pics too please - thanks

shemkarmali@yahoo.com

how long is the taxi drive there?

how much did you pay the taxi for the return trip?

I felt the same way and while researching this excursion I found you could take a public ferry to Cayo Levantando so we skipped booking the excursion. Here was the catch though.......we got off the ship and tried a few ferry companies and none of them would take us to Cayo Levantando since NCL seemed to have booked it all?! So we took a taxi, to a beach with a small sign that said "Playa Nadal" and had an amazing day. We could see Cayo Levantando and all the tender ships going back and forth and were so relieved we didn't go there. Too busy with too many people (and too expensive). At Playa Nadal there was a small bar, beautiful restaurant, and one little structure with souvenirs. We are most likely going to Samana on next year's cruise and will certainly return to this little gem.

This sounds great! Did you do any snorkeling? Is it a sandy bottom, or more rocky?

Thank you!

Hi dvan68,

We did not snorkel at this stop. The beach is sandy bottom but there are a few larger rocks nearby. But later in the cruise we did snorkel at Anse Cochon/St Lucia and Tortola (both Norman Island and the Baths at Virgin Gorda) and they were amazing. Let me know if you are going to either location in the future :) This beach though I would just chill, lounge, tan, etc.

Hi dvan68,

We did not snorkel at this stop. The beach is sandy bottom but there are a few larger rocks nearby. But later in the cruise we did snorkel at Anse Cochon/St Lucia and Tortola (both Norman Island and the Baths at Virgin Gorda) and they were amazing. Let me know if you are going to either location in the future :) This beach though I would just chill, lounge, tan, etc.

Thanks! We have been to these locations before and agree that they are terrific! The Indian Heads and caves are some of our favorites.

Archived