Rose and Jim's?

ScubaJune

We were in St. Kitts on 11/08/09 and used Rose. Jim was busy with other clients. We went to Batik place, Brimstone fortress and tour of downtown locations and we then went to Cockleshell beach for 2 1/2 hours while Rose waited for us. Rose then drove us back to our ship. It was a good tour for the money $32pp and lasted for about 5 hours. It wasn't the best tour, but it was a good tour. Rose didn't talk much about the history of the island though. I think Jim, who is St. Kitt's born would know more about the island. She did let us customize our tour, which was nice.

We used them in Oct, we had Jim and we had a great time. I posted a review and pictures in my review (link below) If you book with more than 2 you get a good discount :) I wasn't a huge fan of the beach we went to but the island and it's sights were wonderful and the tour was well worth the money. My ONLY real issue lied with the fact that we waited a long time for others who never showed up, this seems to be common since the tour guides want the booking but it stinks for those who are on time like theY ask you to be.

We went to Cockleshell beach. My husband and brother snorkeled right in front of the beach restaurant, Reggie's and said it wasn't that great. They said there was trash in the water. We heard later that the snorkeling was better to the left past the newer restaurant, but no chairs or service there. It was nice to sit on the beach and have drinks and food brought to you. The food was very expensive. My husband and I split a lobster sandwich for $8 and it was good. It was very hot the day we were there with no breeze, but it was fun.

We went to Cockleshell beach. My husband and brother snorkeled right in front of the beach restaurant, Reggie's and said it wasn't that great. They said there was trash in the water. We heard later that the snorkeling was better to the right past the newer restaurant, but no chairs or service there. It was nice to sit on the beach and have drinks and food brought to you. The food was very expensive. My husband and I split a lobster sandwich for $8 and it was good. It was very hot the day we were there with no breeze, but it was fun.

They quoted us $41 pp for the tour and beach for our Feb cruise and there are 8 of us. We asked about going to South Friars beach/shipwreck bar and she said Cockshell was better.

For the ones who have used them. What do you think?

Welldone60,

Can I ask when you are cruising and which ship? We are also going in February...

• 1 month later...
Has anyone used Rose and Jim's Taxi service for their Island Tour? Any opinions/information to share?

Thanks so much!

We just used them on our 1/23 Serenade sailing. Jim took the four of us on a tour from about 9-2 (would have been longer but we chose to not stay at Cockleshell Beach). The cost was $164 I believe (so $41 pp).

Jim is a great guy, gave very informative and pleasant commentary as we went to Brimstone Hill, the Batik place/Romney Manor, the place where the Caribbean and Atlantic meet (and you can buy cheap coconut meat or milk) and Cockleshell Beach.

Cockleshell was immediately unappealing - crowded, with rows of loungers three deep. Noisy music was playing and the whole thing was just too busy and crowded for our taste. Not the prettiest beach either (I think St. Kitts is not known for pretty beaches anyway). Plus, our two year old had fallen asleep in the van and my mom was going to stay with him there, so not a great time for her either - this solidified our decision to leave, and put off a beach day til Barbados (Accra beach - lovely).

Jim was very easygoing and would have been happy to wait a couple of hours for us at the beach, but was also fine with leaving immediately. He's a sweetheart and we really enjoyed our tour with him :).

June it is chef Brian from the roll call some of my group 8 of us are taking tour with rose and jim...we are booked! meeting at 8:30 when we arrive in st kitts.....

Hi Brian,

We had a change of plans and cancelled our tour with Rose & Jim's (I sent them an email to let them know). Sorry we are going to miss traveling with your group but I am sure you will have a great time! Hopefully we will see you all at the M & G.

June

:(We had booked the Island and Beach tour with Rose and Jim on our recent Ruby Princess Tour. We arrived at the appointed time and place and met Rose. We were 3 and there was another couple. Rose disappeared for ten minutes and when she returned she handed us off to her colleague Thenford Grey. No explanation. We then stood around for another 1/2 hour only to learn that his group was not scheduled to leave until 1/2 hour later. Rose provided no information to us about the wait or the handoff. We had a wonderful day with Mr. Grey and his group, but it was a larger group and vehicle and quite frankly, if I had wanted to book Mr. Grey I would have.

What type of tours are being offered? Cost per person? How long are the tours? We are 2 adults not interested in going to the beach or swim/snorkle tours. Just want to see the island. We are willing to share with others.

We will be on the 10/28 EOS out of Cape Liberty, NJ.

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

I'm booked with Jim & Rose in three weeks. I came here to see how long the tour would take. It appears 5 hours, not including time at the beach.

We're traveling with a group of 12 from our ship's roll call. I don't know how long the others will want to stay at the beach. How far is the beach from the ship? Does the entire group need to return at the same time? I don't think we'll really want to spend a long time at the beach - maybe an hour or so - but I'm not sure how everyone else will feel. How do the tour operators generally decide the tour is over and it's time to return to the ship?

• 2 weeks later...

i loved the tour with rose and jim. after a tour of the island, rose took us to cockelshell beach and we gave her a time to pick us up. we all agreed on 3 hours at the beach. reggae beach bar had more people in front than the bar to the right down the beach. i wish i could remember the name, but the drinks cost less as well. some of our group ate there and had a good meal. just a 2 minute walk and you have alot less people. the chairs are also free if you are buying food or drink. venders at reggaes $5 each for chair and umbrella. i don't think everyone would have to go to the beach. they would just bring you back to port if you wanted to shop instead. its about a 20 minute ride to the beach from the ship. the beach isn't great, but still nice. i enjoyed this tour and felt it was a good value for $41.

Just returned from our Carnival Victory Cruise. We used Rose and Jim for our tour of St. Kitts. We had Jim as a driver. This is a very well run tour with fantastics stops.

Jim grew up on the island and told many stories of what it was like growing up there. It was very educational for our son (11) and daughter (10). They couldn't fathom that Jim did not sleeping in a bed until he was 17 in a house smaller than their bedrooms. They learned how fortunate they are.

We had had enough beach time during this cruise so once we got to Cockleshell Beach Jim agreed to drive us back to the ship at no additional cost.

The air conditioned vans were clean and well maintained. We enjoyed this tour very much.

We just used them on our 1/23 Serenade sailing. Jim took the four of us on a tour from about 9-2 (would have been longer but we chose to not stay at Cockleshell Beach). The cost was $164 I believe (so $41 pp).

Jim is a great guy, gave very informative and pleasant commentary as we went to Brimstone Hill, the Batik place/Romney Manor, the place where the Caribbean and Atlantic meet (and you can buy cheap coconut meat or milk) and Cockleshell Beach.

Cockleshell was immediately unappealing - crowded, with rows of loungers three deep. Noisy music was playing and the whole thing was just too busy and crowded for our taste. Not the prettiest beach either (I think St. Kitts is not known for pretty beaches anyway). Plus, our two year old had fallen asleep in the van and my mom was going to stay with him there, so not a great time for her either - this solidified our decision to leave, and put off a beach day til Barbados (Accra beach - lovely).

Jim was very easygoing and would have been happy to wait a couple of hours for us at the beach, but was also fine with leaving immediately. He's a sweetheart and we really enjoyed our tour with him :).

How would I book a tour with Jim? (I am new to Cruise Critic and not sure I understand how to ask questions). Thanks.

Archived