? for Househunter Re:Cabo water temp

Stvandon

I could have sworn that I read a post by you earlier today stating something about freakishly cold water temps (55degrees) in Cabo right now( nov. 09). Did I somehow read a really old post, or is this true? If so, would it be likely to remain this way now?

After much research and deliberation, I finally booked a snorkle tour for the 5 of us, but there is no way any of us would do water that cold...and even less chance any of us would pry ourselves into a wetsuit. That being said, if this was indeed true....guess I'll cancel the tour. Any better chance of warmer water in Puerta Vallarta? I hope to get reply from you...thanks for your help.

If you are going on a cruise in the near future, you can relax. The water in Cabo right now is great. In the winter, the Alaskan current starts it's long journey down the Pacific coast. It takes quite a while to get there however. If you look at the previous chart, the blue lines will make it down a little ways into Baja, but not all the way down to Cabo. The coldest months are "generally" Apr, May & June where it may dip into the mid 60's. Believe me, that's cold enough. Really, the rest of the time, it's just fine. Surprisingly, April is when the whales leave Cabo and head north. Wonder if the water temperature has anything to do with it.

Now nothing is ever perfect. There is a very deep canyon all along the Pacific Coast. Call it the whale superhighway. When it gets down as far as Cabo, it is literally right off the beach. It makes a u-turn around Cabo and heads into the Sea Of Cortez for a little ways. It also continues southward towards Puerto Vallarta. This deep canyon has very cold water. Occasionally, if a Pacific storm gets close enough, it can churn up this cold water and bring it to the surface. So occasionally, without any real warning, the surface temps can get pretty darn cold for a few days, and then it returns to it's normal warm state.

Bottom line - it's possible you could be uncomfortable in the ocean from April - June. Some people have no problem at all. Sometimes, the water will be in the low 70's during this time. It's always hard to project. But the other 9 months of the year, things are great with the occasional hiccup from a storm.

I could have sworn that I read a post by you earlier today stating something about freakishly cold water temps (55degrees) in Cabo right now( nov. 09). Did I somehow read a really old post, or is this true? If so, would it be likely to remain this way now?

After much research and deliberation, I finally booked a snorkle tour for the 5 of us, but there is no way any of us would do water that cold...and even less chance any of us would pry ourselves into a wetsuit. That being said, if this was indeed true....guess I'll cancel the tour. Any better chance of warmer water in Puerta Vallarta? I hope to get reply from you...thanks for your help.

Nope, now is close to the warmest of the year! We were there for 2 weeks last months and it was in the mid 80's. It is starting to gradually cool down but a friend just told me it was still around 80, warmer than his pool. The coldest is from March-June.

You never know. I grew up in socal, used to surf there and in northern CA.

Two years ago, we did a New Years Eve cruise down on the Mexican Riviera. I took a tip in Cabo and it was cold. Tolerable, but cold. Went to mazatlan and Randi of Randi's Horses commented on how cold it was. The water at stone island was colder than anything I experienced in socal in the middle of winter (I used to surf there with a wet suit). NO ONE was in the water at the beach. Went down to Puerto Vallarta, same thing, freezing water, people on the beach, no one in the water. It was the first cruise I went on where I spent less than a total of five minutes in the water.

I have had good luck with warm water water in the carribean in the winter, but with this experience in the MR, I say you never know. I thought it was strange that Cabo was much warmer than the much more southern areas and my experience with cabo in the summer was ok water, but still not that warm. With climate change and El Nino, you really can't tell. It could be warm as a bath tub or cold as frosty

Thank you all. I'm glad I asked my question here, instead of overreacting and cancelling our tour. We are going on the Mariner and will be in Cabo on Dec. 15th. We're looking forward to a great trip. Thanks again!

You never know. I grew up in socal, used to surf there and in northern CA.

Two years ago, we did a New Years Eve cruise down on the Mexican Riviera. I took a tip in Cabo and it was cold. Tolerable, but cold. Went to mazatlan and Randi of Randi's Horses commented on how cold it was. The water at stone island was colder than anything I experienced in socal in the middle of winter (I used to surf there with a wet suit). NO ONE was in the water at the beach. Went down to Puerto Vallarta, same thing, freezing water, people on the beach, no one in the water. It was the first cruise I went on where I spent less than a total of five minutes in the water.

I have had good luck with warm water water in the carribean in the winter, but with this experience in the MR, I say you never know. I thought it was strange that Cabo was much warmer than the much more southern areas and my experience with cabo in the summer was ok water, but still not that warm. With climate change and El Nino, you really can't tell. It could be warm as a bath tub or cold as frosty

I believe two years ago PV had a freakish cold winter really cold

Archived