Busy Bus Tour to North Wales From Liverpool

jlf1

I've found a company called Busy Bus that does a North Wales Cruise Ship special adventure Tour from Liverpool. Last years price was GBP 40.

Goes to places like Llandudno, The Great Orme, Conwy, Conwy Castle, Betws-Y-coed, Whistle stop of Chester etc .

web site is www.busybus.co.uk

Would be interested in what others think about this tour & company.

Thanks

Judy

Cannot really comment on the tour other than it will take the best part of three hours to get from Liverpool to Llandudno. Also given some of the other places it calls at, they are going to be whistle stop tours at best.

I would have thought there was enough within Liverpool to keep you interested. Believe me thats a hard thing for a Mancunian to say about one of our biggest rivals, but it is true. Albert Dock could keep you busy for the best part of a morning. Liverpool One the new shopping area and Entertainment is worth a visit. Even better its all within walking distance from the cruise dock and most of its free.

Cannot really comment on the tour other than it will take the best part of three hours to get from Liverpool to Llandudno. Also given some of the other places it calls at, they are going to be whistle stop tours at best.

I would have thought there was enough within Liverpool to keep you interested. Believe me thats a hard thing for a Mancunian to say about one of our biggest rivals, but it is true. Albert Dock could keep you busy for the best part of a morning. Liverpool One the new shopping area and Entertainment is worth a visit. Even better its all within walking distance from the cruise dock and most of its free.

I don't know the tour company, but the itinerary is reasonable - sorry, gaddgie, but the 56 miles to Llandudno is under 90 minutes, even by coach.

Llandudno is a victorian seaside resort, which developed when the railway arrived. Now a rather old-fashioned resort for Brits, with an air of faded victorian elegance. The coach doesn't go up the "serpent's head" of the Great Orme, this is likely to be an option from Llandudno by victorian tramcar or cablecar.

Conwy is just ten minutes from Llandudno, a compact unspoilt town dominated by its 13th Century castle, built by King Edward 1 to subdue the Welsh, and which remains complete & in very good condition.

Betws Y Coed is a village about 15 miles up the Conwy valley, very pleasant but rather touristy.

Chester was an important Roman town, and has an historic centre.

For a more complete view of north Wales, the tour should really include one of the slate-mining villages, Llanberis or Blaenau-Ffestiniog, with their mines, relics, museums & narrow-guage railways at the expense of Llandudno or Chester, but its still a decent itinerary.

I don't know Liverpool well, but don't see the modern waterfront or shopping as being a great attraction in themselves.

Just my opinion.

John Bull

I don't know the tour company, but the itinerary is reasonable - sorry, gaddgie, but the 56 miles to Llandudno is under 90 minutes, even by coach.

Llandudno is a victorian seaside resort, which developed when the railway arrived. Now a rather old-fashioned resort for Brits, with an air of faded victorian elegance. The coach doesn't go up the "serpent's head" of the Great Orme, this is likely to be an option from Llandudno by victorian tramcar or cablecar.

Conwy is just ten minutes from Llandudno, a compact unspoilt town dominated by its 13th Century castle, built by King Edward 1 to subdue the Welsh, and which remains complete & in very good condition.

Betws Y Coed is a village about 15 miles up the Conwy valley, very pleasant but rather touristy.

Chester was an important Roman town, and has an historic centre.

For a more complete view of north Wales, the tour should really include one of the slate-mining villages, Llanberis or Blaenau-Ffestiniog, with their mines, relics, museums & narrow-guage railways at the expense of Llandudno or Chester, but its still a decent itinerary.

I don't know Liverpool well, but don't see the modern waterfront or shopping as being a great attraction in themselves.

Just my opinion.

John Bull

Thanks for the detail into some of the stops. Have only started looking so will continue searching for other tours.

Judy

We did the British Isles cruise a year or so ago with Princess. Our stop was at Holyhead, Wales and we did book with Busybus. We had the mini-bus and absolutely loved the tour. I know they also have a larger bus but we wanted a smaller group so booked specifically the mini-bus. Our driver was fantastic and I definitely recommend this company. Because our tour was from Holyhead, our itinerary was a bit different than what you have listed. We visited Caernarfon Castle, Snowdonia National Park, stopped at Betws-y Coed for lunch, and then on to Conwy Castle and Llanfair (souvenir place). We had Bob as our driver/guide and he was great. We had a group of 12. Definitely highly recommend this company.

I've found a company called Busy Bus that does a North Wales Cruise Ship special adventure Tour from Liverpool. Last years price was GBP 40.

Goes to places like Llandudno, The Great Orme, Conwy, Conwy Castle, Betws-Y-coed, Whistle stop of Chester etc .

Thanks

Judy

I live in Liverpool, I am a regular traveler to North Wales on business...This to me seems like that you will be on the 'bus' all day, a whistle stop tour is what you will get, some one has said that its only 56 miles from Liverpool to one of the places, but there are no motorways..The A55 which is the main trunk road can clog up...I doubt that you will spend much time off the bus, and if you last stop is Chester, well trying drive through Chester is a pain, I doubt you will see much...

There again if youa re picked up at 7am, and arrive back at 9 pm, you may have a chance

I live in Liverpool, I am a regular traveler to North Wales on business...This to me seems like that you will be on the 'bus' all day, a whistle stop tour is what you will get, some one has said that its only 56 miles from Liverpool to one of the places, but there are no motorways..The A55 which is the main trunk road can clog up...I doubt that you will spend much time off the bus, and if you last stop is Chester, well trying drive through Chester is a pain, I doubt you will see much...

There again if youa re picked up at 7am, and arrive back at 9 pm, you may have a chance

Hi, Scousers,

I frequently drive coach tours in north Wales, have to agree about fighting my way in Chester, I suspect that Busybus wisely put it on the end of a cruise-ship tour so that it can be dropped if they get held up on the way back. But I've always found the A55 a dream, a motorway in all but name - the only minor hold-ups I've found are returning under the river at Conwy. And roads up into Snowdonia jam-free even in the height of summer. The only part I don't know well is across the Wirral to Liverpool.

I do regular tours from Rhyl to Conwy, Betws Y Coed, Llanberis and LlanfairPG, leaving Rhyl about 9 to 9.30 & returning about 5 to 5.30. Total travelling 94 miles, 2hrs 20 mins. Substituting Liverpool for Rhyl & deleting the dubious shopping opportunity of LlanfairPG would mean a total distance of about 170 miles & under 4 1/2 hrs travelling, much of it scenic.

Denverite's cruise docked at Holyhead, not Liverpool, much more convenient for this corner of Wales, hence the stop at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - no, my keyboard hasn't gone haywire :)

Regards from the sunny :rolleyes: south, John Bull

I've been in contact with this company and advised them that the Crown leaves at 5pm tin 2010 instead of 7pm as was the case in 2009.

It will be interesting to see how they revise the itinerary. Will keep folks posted.

Thanks for all the advice.

Judy

• 4 weeks later...

I have booked a private minibus tour with Busy Bus out of Liverpool in Aug. because we wanted to ride the steam train. of course, our ship doesn't sail until 9PM so we have plenty of time to get back. The itinerary is basically the same. So far, they have been great to work with and I read many nice things before I booked. Hope everything goes well and the weather is nice because I really want to see Snowdonia.

• 4 weeks later...
I have booked a private minibus tour with Busy Bus out of Liverpool in Aug. because we wanted to ride the steam train. of course' date=' our ship doesn't sail until 9PM so we have plenty of time to get back. The itinerary is basically the same. So far, they have been great to work with and I read many nice things before I booked. Hope everything goes well and the weather is nice because I really want to see Snowdonia.[/quote']

TM...can you give me a little more info about this tour? I have been to the Snowdonia's before and they are wonderful. Does the tour go as far as Carnovan and do you have anymore spots left? we are a party of 4. Thanks.

• 10 months later...

Thanks

Judy

Can anyone compare this tour mentioned above to the Princess Cruise ship tour (8 hrs) in terms of time frames at places, what one will see, lunch & cost?

PRINCESS:Wales & Conwy Castle

Spend a day exploring the countryside of North Wales. You'll drive to the 13th-century Conwy Castle, built by Edward I, and stroll around Conwy, as well as the quaint towns of Betws-y-Coed and the Vale of Conwy. You'll also enjoy a complimentary lunch at the most popular inland resort in Wales.

WHAT YOU VISIT

Conwy Castle - Edward I began construction of Conwy Castle in 1283 as part of his campaign to secure Wales for the English crown. Soaring curtain walls and eight round towers still lend the ruined castle a menacing air. Conwy's adjacent castle town boasts well-preserved medieval walls with 21 towers and three fortified gates.

SHOPPING

During your free time in Conwy and following lunch in Betws-y-Coed.

LUNCH

Lunch is served at a hotel in Betws-y-Coed, the most popular inland resort in Wales.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Board your motorcoach and cross the River Mersey by tunnel en route to the Wirral Peninsula. Continue to Ruthin and the Vale of Clywd. Pass through Llanwrst, crossing an Inigo Jones-designed bridge built in 1615 en route to Betw-y-Coed.

Edited by hcat

• 5 years later...

May 2016. We booked a tour of Wales from Holyhood paying in advance BIG MISTAKE. Holyhead is a tender port for most ships. Could not tender due to rough seas and wind. Company charges you 50% cancellation fee when ship does not arrive. We are out 49£

May 2016. We booked a tour of Wales from Holyhood paying in advance BIG MISTAKE. Holyhead is a tender port for most ships. Could not tender due to rough seas and wind. Company charges you 50% cancellation fee when ship does not arrive. We are out 49£

I believe I have read something in the past week about this company, the thread was instigated by the company itself complaining about the Captain and the ship not docking. I will try and find out where I read it but many cc people were not happy with the way the company had used cc site for a complaint. The passengers lost 50% of their money which they didn't seem to mind as much as the company complaining about their Captain and ship. I will try and find out where I have read about this and post again.

I believe I have read something in the past week about this company, the thread was instigated by the company itself complaining about the Captain and the ship not docking. I will try and find out where I read it but many cc people were not happy with the way the company had used cc site for a complaint. The passengers lost 50% of their money which they didn't seem to mind as much as the company complaining about their Captain and ship. I will try and find out where I have read about this and post again.

I have found the post again it is on the Princess site at the moment on page 4 with the title Holyhead tour missed

Here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2351117

Hi, Scousers,

I frequently drive coach tours in north Wales, have to agree about fighting my way in Chester, I suspect that Busybus wisely put it on the end of a cruise-ship tour so that it can be dropped if they get held up on the way back. But I've always found the A55 a dream, a motorway in all but name - the only minor hold-ups I've found are returning under the river at Conwy. And roads up into Snowdonia jam-free even in the height of summer. The only part I don't know well is across the Wirral to Liverpool.

I do regular tours from Rhyl to Conwy, Betws Y Coed, Llanberis and LlanfairPG, leaving Rhyl about 9 to 9.30 & returning about 5 to 5.30. Total travelling 94 miles, 2hrs 20 mins. Substituting Liverpool for Rhyl & deleting the dubious shopping opportunity of LlanfairPG would mean a total distance of about 170 miles & under 4 1/2 hrs travelling, much of it scenic.

Denverite's cruise docked at Holyhead, not Liverpool, much more convenient for this corner of Wales, hence the stop at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - no, my keyboard hasn't gone haywire :)

Regards from the sunny :rolleyes: south, John Bull

Sorry John, although I appreciate you give a lot of good information on these threads, (though often to US residents who want a lot of travelling), as a Scouser who now lives on Wirral, I would also take issue with your assessments. You are right that he journey from Liverpool to LLandudno should take less than 1.5 hours on a good day - if going straight through the new tunnel onto the M53, which then feeds into the A55 near Chester.

However, in this post you are talking about starting from Rhyll (which is very near to LLandudno) and mentioning the roads of Snowdonia, (which would not be travelled on for the route mentioned by the OP). I do agree a tour such as that from Holyhead would be a good idea, as I would not want to be stuck in Holyhead and those roads would be scenic. Not so sure about no hold ups in Summer though, as it can be very slow moving in School holidays.

The main hold ups from Liverpool would be at Queensferry and the A55 just to the welsh side of that, near to Northop Hall in the summer and especially returning at about 6pm from Wales. I suggest that is when they would "do Chester" and avoid some of that traffic.

The route suggested by the OP would appear to go to LLandudno, Conwy - then down the Conwy Valley which goes along the border of Snowdonia, popping into Betws Y Coed, which is on the edge of Snowdonia. It would be possible to cut back across the winding roads of the Denbighshire/Clwydians hills (rolling hills rather than Snowdonia like) from there, but I suspect the intention is to take the much quicker route back via the Conwy Valley and A55/M53 which goes around Chester. I would not expect to take more than 10-15 minutes in and out of Chester from the A55/M53, especially later in the day, even in summer.

However to "do" all of those places in one day, does leave me thinking it will be a coach ride (largely of motorway type roads) with little more than very brief stops in any one place. The roads would pass through rural areas, but are not scenic in the sense that the roads of Snowdonia would be.

It is true there is a lot in Liverpool and it is easily reached as the ships dock in on the main waterfront of the city, which has a couple of museums as well as the Albert Dock area and is also right alongside the city centre. The upper part of the city, by the Cathedrals can easily be reached by frequent local buses and places such as St. Georges Hall, the older Walker Art Gallery and Liverpool Museum, along with St John's Gardens, (which makes a good picnic spot), are between the two. The town Hall is open to the public once a year, (I think during August), and would be worth popping into. Then there is the Mersey ferry (50 minute round trip once an hour between about 10.am and 3 or 4 pm), with the possibility of stopping off at one or two places on the other side of the river if wished, but the round journey alone is good - especially in good weather as there is a commentary and it goes both up and down stream a bit. One day would do a small amount of that. Those places should be easily searchable on line.

However, if someone wants to travel to somewhere else, Chester would make an easy day trip (or even a longish half day perhaps) with a journey of about 45 minutes each way. Or, the North Wales coast could be easily reached, allowing to spend time in the sea side town of LLandudno (perhaps visiting the Great Orme by Tram if the visit is in season and it is opperating), and also the compact, but more historic Conwy, giving time to explore the Castle. That would make a fairly long day by cruise ship standards though.

Whatever is decided, enjoy your cruise stop in Liverpool.

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Oops just realized someone has resurrected this thread form a number of years ago. Never mind I will let my post stand as it is all good information for anyone looking at the thread.