can you pay your tips with check ?

cheggy

Haven't tried it personally, but theoretically...

If you can pay cash toward your onboard account, you should be able to use the traveler's check. I'm not sure that a personal check would be so easily accepted for this purpose.

Your "hotel service charges" (a.k.a. "tips") will be charged to your onboard account, so you should be able to pay those early in the cruise to reduce the final bill.

jtl513... we were posting simultaneously! You just typed a little faster!

Wondering if you can pay your tip with personal check or traveler"s check as soon as you get on board and get it out of the way ? :confused:

Or, were you thinking of paying additional tips directly to various service personnel with your own personal check ? :confused:

That would not be advisable since the lower level crew frequently can NOT get off the ship in most ports.

AND, even if they could, they would have great problems trying to cash and/or deposit a personal check.

Their salaries are all on direct deposit back home and they sort of live off their cash tips for expenses during their contracts.

Not sure if this was your intended question.

If asking about the Hotel Service Charge, you can always apply any amount of money to your shipboard account, which would work just the same as an OBC. This can be done even before you sail.

Either way, you will still get an itemized statement with all deposits and charges showing as line items. Including the $11.00 daily Hotel service Charge listed each day.

The ship will not be differentiating any credits to your account as applying specifically to the HSC. It is all lumped together in your one onboard account.

The only difference is whether you would be paying any balance owing at the end of the cruise or be getting a credit back for over payment.

When I leave extra tips over and above the hotel service charge, I usually leave a traveller's cheque. One of our cabin stewards told us once that they just take them to the front desk and they are cashed for them there. That would not work with a personal cheque as the cruise line will not accept them.

When I leave extra tips over and above the hotel service charge, I usually leave a traveller's cheque. One of our cabin stewards told us once that they just take them to the front desk and they are cashed for them there. That would not work with a personal cheque as the cruise line will not accept them.

I'm surprised to read this as the front office is for guests. Cabin stewards have a crew Purser. Can you imagine seeing dining/cabin stewards waiting their turn in line at the front office?

Why give them traveler's check and make them have to do anything in order to have their tip? Same as when I give a gift..... I make sure it is 'useable' to the recipient without effort on their part. ie provide batteries if appropriate ... :D other than the effort of getting to restaurant or store to use gift card. :)

Is there a reason you don't cash the traveler's check yourself at the front office and give them the cash? :confused:

Cash the travellers check yourself and give them cash, if you want to....technically, the crew member you give the TC to isn't able to cash it....only the person who signs it can cash it...since the signature is supposed to be witnessed!

Cash the travellers check yourself and give them cash, if you want to....technically, the crew member you give the TC to isn't able to cash it....only the person who signs it can cash it...since the signature is supposed to be witnessed!

It becomes a third person check and may be impossible for steward to cash. I don't think you can 'assign' a travelers check to anyone. You must cash it yourself or present it to merchant as payment for purchase/dinner etc

I'm surprised to read this as the front office is for guests. Cabin stewards have a crew Purser. Can you imagine seeing dining/cabin stewards waiting their turn in line at the front office?

Why give them traveler's check and make them have to do anything in order to have their tip? Same as when I give a gift..... I make sure it is 'useable' to the recipient without effort on their part. ie provide batteries if appropriate ... :D other than the effort of getting to restaurant or store to use gift card. :)

Is there a reason you don't cash the traveler's check yourself at the front office and give them the cash? :confused:

For goodness sake, get a grip.

Archived